Sweet Wheat & Sucrose Oats

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Sweet Wheat & Sucrose Oats

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Aka Gibbon's Cereal Sticky Thread! :PY: :PY: :PY:

It's always a nice surprise to open up a care package and pull out a box of something I've never heard of.

I'm actually not sure what this is supposed to taste like. "Frosted" as it applies to cereal generally just means "sugared." Of course the entire Whatsis Toast Crunch line is delightfully heavily sweetened, so that couldn't be the distinguishing characteristic. Wendell seems to be enamored with a bowl of what appears to be white cake icing, which is awesome, but what business does it have on toast? I'm kind of amazed this idea passed product approval, though I'm certainly not complaining.

It is allegedly vanilla-flavored, and while it doesn't really taste like vanilla, I am delighted that the time has returned when vanilla is a marketable cereal flavor. This could not have been done in the 90's, otherwise the golden era of sugared cereal. It would had to have been like "Double Chocolate Extreme Marshmallow Butt Fuck Toast Crunch" or something, and Wendell would've been bug-eyed, frothing at the mouth.

ANYWAY. It's basically kind of "Cinnamon Toast Crunch Lite", though it isn't bad. The frosty stuff washes off way too quickly in milk.

I also got a couple boxes of Peanut Butter Cheerios and Dulce-de-Douche Cheerios or something. I have no idea what Dulce-de-whatever is, but the box says it's caramel flavor. According to my mom, my whole family has become obsessed with it, which is unusual since I'm the only cereal freak I think in my whole bloodline. It is pretty awesome.

Now peanut butter I know, and like Fruity Cheerios it's a somewhat more subtle taste than other PB cereals, but still pretty good. I wonder why they marketed it as Multi-Grain Peanut Butter Cheerios rather than simply "Peanut Butter Cheerios"? The box design looks more like something I'd expect to see on Special K or some other woman's cereal. What the hell do women know about peanut butter?

Incidentally, how many flavors does the Cheerios line have right now? Like at least 12? Has there ever been a discontinued Cheerios flavor? Someone at General Mills finally figured out how to market kids cereal to adults - tone down the artificial color and slap "Cheerios" somewhere on the box. They've got Frosted, Chocolate, Fruity, and now Peanut Butter among others - it's a whole product line within a product line.

Of course the bad thing about getting huge care packages full of cereal is that I then spend like a quarter of my weekly food budget just on milk. Shit is expensive here, do Japanese cows lactate less or something?

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Re: Sweet Wheat & Sucrose Oats

Post by Popcorn »

What happens if you just eat cornflakes? Do you dry up?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Dulce de... it's dulce de LECHE. It's caramel-like but not really the same thing. Caramel is heated sugar; dulce de leche is heated milk that has been sweetened. And it's fucking delicious.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

What she said - it's a freaking speciality around here, though never as a cereal flavor.
Has anyone ever bothered to count how many cereal topics we had before it finally got to this point?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I saw a commercial on the teevee for a new cereal with chocolate inside it. It seemed gross to me.

And here it is. http://www.kelloggskrave.com/en-us/home.html Chocolate or double chocolate. You know, because breakfast can never have enough chocolate.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Oh shit yeah, I got a couple boxes of that too, but I haven't tried it yet. Actually just a few weeks ago when my cereal meter was getting dangerously low and desperation was setting in, I bought a box of what I think was a Swiss version of the same cereal from the import food shop. I paid over 700 yen for it, but it was pretty incredible. It was actually choco-banana flavor, but the chocolate was real.
What happens if you just eat cornflakes? Do you dry up?
It's too risky to try and see.

By the way, as long as you're here, have you tried the hot cake flavor Ciscorn yet? It is Japan's sole claim to cereal fame. They're the best corn flakes I've ever eaten. (Also, you can still find Hunny B's at some places here, but they come at a premium.)

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Krave has been around for a while. I was given a box for free when I moved into uni accomodation last year. I remember not being that impressed. I seem to recall it was nicer dry than it was in milk.

Speaking of milk: whole, semi-skimmed, 1%, or skimmed?

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Now peanut butter I know, and like Fruity Cheerios it's a somewhat more subtle taste than other PB cereals, but still pretty good. I wonder why they marketed it as Multi-Grain Peanut Butter Cheerios rather than simply "Peanut Butter Cheerios"? The box design looks more like something I'd expect to see on Special K or some other woman's cereal. What the hell do women know about peanut butter?
I thought "multi-grain" was to account for the shades of brown. Incidentally the stuff looks good enough to be in a still life.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Popcorn's Cereal Diary

9 February, 2011
1:05am

Cereal: Sainsbury's Wholegrain Bran Flakes
Milk: Semi-skimmed (Sainsbury's)
Extras: Banana (1)
Remarks: Broke banana apart by hand; could be improved by cutting with a knife, producing more regimented slices.

Tasted fine.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I approve of putting sliced banana on cereal.

It's the only consolation I have for the fact that they don't seem to make Bananabix anymore. :(

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

All those mini-Weetabix things were false idols anyway.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

So how long has it been since your tastebuds evacuated out of boredom?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Fruit is nature's candy.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Popcorn's Cereal Diary

10 February, 2011
11:15pm

Cereal: Sainsbury's Wholegrain Bran Flakes
Milk: Semi-skimmed (Tesco)
Extras: None
Remarks: A bit too much milk.

Tasted fine.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Why are you talking about cereal you ate a year ago?

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

What year is this?

Who's the president?

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

It's the future, and the president is supposedly enjoying the luxury of using a fruit blender on bananas and milk before mixing them with cereal.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

So I opened up a box of (Double Chocolate) Krave today.

Hm.

If by "double" they mean "half-assed traces of a heavily processed something that may at one point have originated from some portion of a cocoa bean", then it is a very good description. Imagine eating hay with a spoonfull of Nesquick.

For such a great idea, it's pretty disappointing, especially when compared with the incredible Swiss version I ate last month. This is the stuff: http://www.bio-familia.com/en/our-range ... -bits.html Dammit Kellogg's, how can you let these Euro dingbats get the better of you?

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Popcorn's Cereal Diary

13 February, 2012
03:29am

Out of milk. :(

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

Green Gibbon! wrote: If by "double" they mean "half-assed traces of a heavily processed something that may at one point have originated from some portion of a cocoa bean", then it is a very good description. Imagine eating hay with a spoonfull of Nesquick.

For such a great idea, it's pretty disappointing, especially when compared with the incredible Swiss version I ate last month. This is the stuff: http://www.bio-familia.com/en/our-range ... -bits.html Dammit Kellogg's, how can you let these Euro dingbats get the better of you?
It's no secret the world's cocoa powder supply was in decline for a while and as a result, big game cocoa brands are getting their stuff cured by soy- and nut-related material today. Only the western portion of Europe gets grade-A big name chocolate now, for instance; local bounty bars definitely taste more hazelnutty than they ever did. Both Mars Inc. and Nestle have been sending nothing but junk on the market here (I got a brief chance of trying German-branded Nutella while in Munich the other day and it was the stuff, while the one I can buy here is all buttery in comparison) ever since their multilingual ingredients lists switched from English and German to Romanian and Hungarian. In general, for the past few years, most of the regionally available western-brand chocolate product lines have been a disappointment unless their chocolate is like all bitter, full of tiny bits of random vegetation, jacked up to a ludicrous price and proudly announced as 'Swiss'.

Though I suppose I'm still lucky; the cocoa crop from West Africa has supposedly been really plentiful this year, while the Kraš and Koestlin chocolate factories from Croatia have direct contracts with Independent nations or something - the quality of their sweets and raw cocoa surprisingly hasn't declined at all over the years, and at the same time my own little country features three different chocolate manufacturing businesses (a plant named Gorenjka offers tablets with 70% cocoa at a price of a penny). None of them do cereal, though, because the low-end Nestle and Kellogg's junk has been killing the price. Podravka dominates the local cereal market with the Čokolešnik which is unique in that it's based on nuts as opposed to grain, and is really in a league of its own taste-wise (its sibling the Čoko is even sweeter and has no hazelnuts in it), but one can't eat that stuff all the time. Their Lino product line, while adequate, is not really tuned for the abused American tastes ... so let me just describe the general taste to you as "sort of bland".

I can recommend stocking up on raw cocoa powder (preferably Dutch). Tastes great in pancakes with some sugar, rum, vanilla, carob or hoary basil. Tends to get charred quicker than pancakes usually would, tho'... I tried baking custom cornflakes from cornmeal once ...and it didn't work too well.

By the way, those swiss pocket things are already awesome on their own, let alone prepared as a meal. Expensive as crud too, though a select few stores do carry them around here. Accept no substitutes, the Swiss pirate cookie knows where it's at.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I just tried Cap'n Crunch for the first time. I've always been suspicious of this cereal. "Super crunchy" is not a "flavor".

I liked it, though. It kinda tastes how I always thought that Rice Krispies ought to taste.

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

How you do cereal:

Step 1 - buy a cheap-ass Tesco branded (in UK) cereal. Cornflakes, bran flakes, rice krispies knock-off, whatever.

Step 2 - buy cinnamon powder

Step 3 - buy milk. SOYA MILK, MOTHERFUCKER.

Step 4 - Combine said items into "bowl of cereal that cost fuck all and tastes god damn great because it's covered in cinnamon and nothing can taste bad when covered in cinnamon."

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I actually tried that with plain Cheerios once and it just kind of ended up poofing off into the milk. It did not make me like plain Cheerios.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Last night I mixed Froot Loops and Fruity Pebbles. With Funmallows.

I don't know what to do now. I feel so guilty. Is Jesus mad at me? Am I going to hell?

I... I'm thinking about doing it again. My God, what am I turning into?

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I absolutely lurve ground cinnamon, but I HATE the dispensors it comes in. Any amount of force required to push it out the perforations causes a dust cloud.