Software is for pussies.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Re: Software is for pussies.

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Started Gravity Daze.

Structurally it actually reminds me alot of Infamous - a decent-sized open world full of absolutely nothing interesting that you parkour through to get to trigger points around the map. The overworld is a mind-bendingly complex labyrinth of a city that looks like City of Lost Children as directed by M.C. Escher. There are surfaces from literally every angle and you can access all of them. The only way to know which way is up at any given time is to look at the main character's scarf, which always dangles toward the (actual) ground. So far, there is no particular reason to explore other than to find "precious gems", which are used for stat upgrades.

The amnesiac heroine, dubbed "Kitten" by a supporting character, discovers her unusual ability in the opening tutorial. She's accompanied by a silhouette cat with no facial features (she names him Dusty). The characters speak in what I assume is a fictitious language with a French-sounding syllabary, but for all I know it might actually be French.

I've only played up through chapter 3 (and these are very short chapters), but it's a solid start. The setting is what sells it. Complaints: the camera's jerky and it's hard to keep track of your surroundings during combat. Evading, even this early on, seems to be an integral tactic, but to evade you actually have to flick the touch screen, which is confusing when you're hacking (kicking) away with the square button. I'd much rather it mapped to a shoulder button, but the shoulder buttons are already occupied for gravity controls which actually would've been better mapped to action buttons...

Anyway, it's fun so far, but (much like Infamous), I imagine I'll get bored long before it's over.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I'm getting my Vita this week. Finally! I'm excited.

As far as games, I have Hot Shots Golf and Uncharted in my possession at the moment. I'll probably pick up Lumines on PSN. Dunno what else to get.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I have Hot Shots Golf and Uncharted in my possession at the moment.
I was going to ask if they released the games before the system, then I guess this answered my question: http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2012/02/15

Does this mean that hardware is for pussies?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Buying a system and games for it is for pussies. As long as you don't have both it's cool.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

The Vita hasn't been released yet? That's weird, we had a Vita Launch party on Feb. 14 and there were important people in possession of a Vita.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Well, there *was* that whole limited "First Edition Bundle" thing that was released about a week early...

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Holy shit, this game is weird.

There's this kid who draws a gate with chalk on the wall of a tunnel but he lost his dad and then when you find his dad and "float" him back to his son, the picture of a gate has become an actual gate which leads you to an old man who alleges to be God who opens up his jacket like a flasher to reveal the entrance to some alternate dimension with big red flowers that fire laser beams to point you to the next area so you can rejoin broken chunks of the city and I'm only up to chapter 6.