The next Pokemon game...

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Neo

Re: The next Pokemon game...

Post by Neo »

Radrappy wrote:At least the monsters are finally modeled in 3d. They've resisted doing it for long enough.
They didn't "resist" doing anything, they just didn't have the horsepower for it. Ho-Oh would've looked like a fucking origami peacock on the DS with approximately 12 distinct pixels for a texture.

That being said, I've finally tracked down the source of my rude awakening yesterday -- it was the collective Pokémon fandom collapsing when they considered how the hell they were going to do this anymore.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Radrappy wrote:Weren't the pokemon black and white animations done in this awkward puppet-like style? That was god awful looking.
That's more similar to a blend of Flash and "limb-by-limb" pixel animation, like the scaling in Chaotix, it does look quite bad. I'm talking traditional cel animation (particularly fluid stuff like WLS unlike, say, the newer Arc System Works games which are kinda choppy-looking).

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I'll wait until they release Pokemon Z. Makes sense, considering it's 3D now.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Neo wrote: They didn't "resist" doing anything, they just didn't have the horsepower for it. Ho-Oh would've looked like a fucking origami peacock on the DS with approximately 12 distinct pixels for a texture.

That being said, I've finally tracked down the source of my rude awakening yesterday -- it was the collective Pokémon fandom collapsing when they considered how the hell they were going to do this anymore.
Bullshit. The monster modeling in DragonQuest Monsters and Dragon Quest IX both looked excellent. And those aren't even 1st party games! Pokemon games are made on the cheap and you know it. The DS was always very capable of nice looking 3d visuals, it's just that companies were content to release game boy advance games for as long as possible. Hell even Segas own Phantasy Star Zero has great low poly 3d modeling in it.

With regards to high quality animated sprites, I'm totally down for that. I just never want to feel like I'm fighting with images. Which is how I've felt with every pokemon after gold/silver (and that was only because I got older).

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

...Now with a convenient handle for pick-up-and-go action!

Actually, it's kind of jarring to see the two forms given that they both adhere to significantly different design principles: The old one is more relatively humanoid and detailed while the new one is much more abstract and simplified, like later Pokemon tend to be.