On the topic of animated fat men...

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Re: On the topic of animated fat men...

Post by Malchik »

gr4yJ4Y wrote: I don't really care for Futurama and I'm apparently the only human with an internet connection to feel that way.
Only the original run was good. The DVD and CN incarnations are an unfunny circle-jerks. Much like the Simpsons.
Popcorn wrote: I have a friend whose mom did this too! She said she didn't want him watching that "redneck" show. (He's from New Jersey, in case this adds some kind of context somehow.)
It adds a kind of irony.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

G.Silver wrote:My Little Pony

Get out of my childhood

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I love Regular Show and Adventure Time, and I also like to watch Gumball.

Being a Transformers fan, I also like the newest show, Transformers: Prime.

Not sure if anime counts here, but I'm also semi-religiously following Persona 4 the Animation. I love that game.

On the topic of MLP...I kind of like it--it has some amusing humor, but all my friends are hardcore to semi-hardcore "bronies", which kind of turns me off the whole thing. One of them is even a semi-celebrity on some "Ponibooru" website...

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I have no idea when was the last time I've watched an animated show regularly, but then again, I can say the same for TV in general.

I used to watch South Park almost religiously more than half a decade ago, but it started to get grating after it got too preachy - I thought that one christmas episode where Saddam was finally captured was a good enough point to stop watching it. However, I AM aware that I'm missing out on some supposedly great episodes that came later (the anime parody, the WoW one, and the Imaginationland two-parter); are those actually any good?

As for the Simpsons and Family Guy... there's not much I can say. I used to watch those a lot before, but only once in a blue moon nowadays. I never watched much of American Dad, but what little I've seen was consistently decent.

On the topic of ponies, I am just as intrigued as most of you as for how that show got so popular - in fact, the GHZ is only the second place I've seen any sort of criticism towards it. I really have to watch an episode someday, if only to see what's the deal with it. Same goes for Adventure Time, minus the "baffling popularity" factor and more of the "this actually sounds pretty awesome" aspect.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

cjmcray wrote: Not a big fan of Adventure Time. It's an alright show I guess, but some episodes are just plain awful. "Her Parents" is almost unbearable to watch.
Oh, forgot "Conquest of Cuteness" "Prisoners of Love" and "Murder Mystery Train" those are just horrible.

But "the Monster" that one is by far the worst, most terrible, boring, awful, unbearable to watch episode of any cartoon ever.

AT does have some good episodes, (I liked the Lich two-parter) but I think it's way overrated. Regular Show is much better.

I really like the new Looney Tunes cartoon. Some episodes are hit-and-miss, and sometimes the cast acts a little out-of-character, but it's still a good show. I'm looking forward to Season 2. Hopefully Elmer will appear, instead of just being a cameo as a Weatherman (That's the one big mistake the series made. Who came up with THAT bright idea? :roll: )

Daffy is my favorite Looney Tune, so it's nice to see him get the spotlight for once. Bugs gets a starring role now and then, but it's Daffy and his crazy antics that really carries the show.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

cjmcray wrote: Daffy is my favorite Looney Tune, so it's nice to see him get the spotlight for once. Bugs gets a starring role now and then, but it's Daffy and his crazy antics that really carries the show.
I always have hated bugs bunny. He is a smug dick head that always wins. Daffy is awesome because most of the time things don't work out for him most of the time but still you never know sometimes he succeeds (he differs from wiley coyote because he consistently fails everytime).

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I'm actually alarmed at how many people I've encountered who hate Bugs Bunny. Actually, what confuses me even more is that all of them have only ever been people on the Internet.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I hate Looney Tunes in its entirety, as I do the golden age of American animation. It is all sickly and hateful.

This has got me in trouble before.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Popcorn wrote:I hate Looney Tunes in its entirety, as I do the golden age of American animation. It is all sickly and hateful.

out of curiosity, what does this entail for you?

And you know what, I'm kind of with you on this one. I know a lot of people who love tex avery cartoons but I absolutely cannot stand them or the aesthetic they're responsible for. As for looney toons, I think there are a handful of shorts that really do remain relevant today(such as "feed the kitty" and "I love to singa") but yeah, a lot of them are just plain obnoxious. The disney shorts from the same era are pretty harmless though and are still good fun.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

You could do a lot worse than classic WB and MGM. Maybe I'm just biased since....you know, I'm an animation major.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I don't think the humour or characters are as timeless as the hardcore LT fans believe, but the best of the WB shorts are still, even today, pretty much the best 2D character animation ever drawn.

(Which is kind of embarrassing, considering how much time people have had to do better!)

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Radrappy wrote:
Popcorn wrote:I hate Looney Tunes in its entirety, as I do the golden age of American animation. It is all sickly and hateful.

out of curiosity, what does this entail for you?
Wiki sez:
The Golden Age of U.S. animation is a period in the United States animation history that began with the advent of sound cartoons in 1928 and continued into the early 1960s when theatrical animated shorts slowly began losing to the new medium of television animation.
Many memorable characters emerged from this period including Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Donald Duck, Daffy Duck, Goofy, Popeye, Tom and Jerry, Betty Boop, Mr. Magoo, Woody Woodpecker, Mighty Mouse and a popular adaptation of Superman. Feature length animation also began during this period, most notably with Walt Disney's first films: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Pinocchio, Fantasia, Dumbo and Bambi.
That just about covers it, but I'm thinking of Hanna-Barbara stuff like the Flintstones and Scooby-Doo, too. I dislike all of those characters/franchises, in some cases rather strongly. I despise "squash and stretch". I am not exaggerating when I say I find it nauseating. I appreciate, of course, that a tremendous amount of craft went into those productions, with passion and innovation that possibly isn't matched today, but yikes do I hate it. It's something to do with how abstract it is, everything dancing and wobbling like a flu hallucination, faces drooping like rotten fruit. I like that stuff when it's done in an anarchic, punk rock sorta way, like that bit in Beavis and Butthead Do America, and Ren and Stimpy to an extent, but not here. (I differ hugely from Ren and Simpty creator John Kricfalusi in that regard, because he argues that animation more or less has a duty to be as expressionistic and crazy as possible. Check out his redesigns for the Simpsons cast, for example - hurl.)

I guess on the whole I prefer animation that's more realistic than not, because it takes reality and reduces it to a slightly more abstract, impressionistic form. (Which I guess all art does to some extent?) As much as I reliably enjoy Pixar movies, I prefer much 2D animation to 3D because of this 'impressionistic' vibe... it's just so much more beautiful to me. The thing is that animation, for me, if it's done right, is the most moving thing in the world. Maybe you guys have seen this animated short, "Thought of You"; the music choice is a bit sappy but the animation and choreography is so gorgeous I forgive it entirely. I wept through the first twenty minutes of The Illusionist just because I was so in awe of how beautiful it was. I'm not kidding. The first time I saw Princess Mononoke, aged 14, it was - again, without exaggeration - a life-changing moment, because I never knew fantasy stories with that kind of romance and drama purely on a visual level existed, and it has affected my imagination ever since.

When I was a kid I sat watching the Sonic CD animations for hours just because they moved with such urgency and dynamism and precision. It was worlds away from the sloppy, pukey "charm" of Loony Tunes et al.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I guess I'll take the other side of the coin and say I prefer it when animation is used to it's full effect. Damn near anything can happen in a cartoon, and the Golden Era studios reflect that. I will admit that there's a limit to how far one should take the cartooniness though, since nothing is good when it's done in excess. John K is one of those guys who animates just for the sake of animating, and I personally find Ren & Stimpy to be incredibly overrated. Actually, I'm not really sure how you find the style of Tex Avery and other animators from that era so nauseating since a lot of them don't take it to the greatest possible extreme, save for Bob Clampett.

Hanna-Barbera and the other 60s-70s studios are another story. Since those are all badly animated and have next to no substance. The Flintstones is the one I will defend to the end, though. That was the Simpsons of it's day.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Yeah, the Flintstones et al aren't in the same bag as the stretch-and-squash stuff, and I didn't mean to imply that. Maybe it isn't part of the Golden Age either. But I hate it too.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

It came out in the 60s. Call it the "Silver Age" if you want to give it a name. Although that implies we actually got something good, when most of the cartoons made during that period were rather balls.

A lot of people seem to have some sort of irrational beef with the Flintstones too, so I'm not surprised there.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I feel that cartoons can be in the full spectrum of cartoony to realistic. It all depends on what the animator/director/storyboard artist/whoever is trying to depict.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

^ Pretty much.

Personally I find it incredibly boring when an animated film limits itself to realistic people for the entire thing. Unless something totally implausible like magic comes into play, then I honestly don't care. I admit that it's technically impressive to see a convincing human being animated by hand, but there's only so much you can do with that before you become creatively exhausted. This is why I prefer cartoons that strive to be cartoony. I especially like it when a cartoon that appears very silly and cartoony can also tug at your heartstrings but that hardly ever happens. The Muppets are probably the best example, but they're not even cartoons.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

I just really hate John K's stuff. It's just... ugh. That's all I got! Ugh. Exaggeration can be great; it's part of what makes cartoons so versatile. But that motherfucker needs to cut back on the funny juice and maybe draw a relatively regular line here or there. It doesn't even have to be all straight, John! Just, like, maybe for a little bit one line along their arm or neck could not curve wildly as your characters' various body parts stretch and squash out and in like accordions of furious, unsettling flesh.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I think John K is one of those creative forces whose best work is done when he's held on a short leash by someone else. The Ren & Stimpy I remember from my childhood seems amazingly restrained now that I've learned more about him. (though that may also have been for budgetary reasons rather than needing to make something people would actually watch)

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I basically agree with the above. On his Simpsons opening, for example, I liked some bits but hated others. Bart was hilarious and looked really cool, but Marge's walk is simply unreadable. This happens alot when he does the straight-ahead animation thing that he's yammered on about on his blog countless times and seems to think is the future of animation. Classic Ren and Stimpy is often awesome (I only got to see Man's Best Friend for the first time a while ago, and it has some of the most hilarious acting I've ever seen), but what little I've seen of Adult Party Cartoon is just horrendous. It's not that it's excessive and gross and ugly, it just isn't funny.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Jesus, I never knew he actually made a Simpsons animation. And presumably it was used on the show, too? Ay caramba.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Hah! I didn't even know until you linked to his designs, and then I looked it up. Enjoy... or not.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

G.Silver wrote:Hah! I didn't even know until you linked to his designs, and then I looked it up. Enjoy... or not.
Wow, I thought I might've been exaggerating from not having seen his stuff in such a long time.

Nope!

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Well at least I finally found someone who detests John K as much as I do.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I love bits and pieces of Ren and Stimpy (any part where Ren loses it, to be honest), most of which are from John K's work on the show, but part of me thinks that's because it was a collaborative effort.

His Simpsons intro, if he did animate/supervise all of it himself, is interesting as a piece of art and lord knows it's welcome after nearly every couch gag conceivable has been done already. I didn't think it was that funny, though, and I've amazed the gag went on as long as it did.

I've heard tell that at least part of the reason Cartoon Party flopped was because Spike TV wanted something risque to compete with the likes of South Park and either gave their blessings or pressured John to make his show as controversial as possible. But that's likely only a rumor, and if it is true is likely only a partial explanation.