Steve Jobs: Dead.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Jingles

Steve Jobs: Dead.

Post by Jingles »

http://techcrunch.com/2011/10/05/steve- ... ssed-away/
Statement by Apple’s Board of Directors

CUPERTINO, Calif. — We are deeply saddened to announce that Steve Jobs passed away today.

Steve’s brilliance, passion and energy were the source of countless innovations that enrich and improve all of our lives. The world is immeasurably better because of Steve.

His greatest love was for his wife, Laurene, and his family. Our hearts go out to them and to all who were touched by his extraordinary gifts.
Truly a great loss. Rest in Peace, Steve.

Zeta

Re: Steve Jobs: Dead.

Post by Zeta »

I wonder what the Fans! webcomic will do, since they set him up as being the next major antagonist, devoted to ironically ushering in a stylish 1984 dystopia where he controls all the media in the world?

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Since he was so young, who knows what amazing achievements he would have made had he survived. If the imac/pod/pad line of gadgets was any indication, this man probably would have been eventually responsible for lightspeed travel. So yeah. Fuck.

And something of value was lost.
(devoted fans of ghz will note that I made an offensive comment when the writer (or was it creator) of SATAM died. It was rude, disrespectful and unwarranted. I officially apologize. Cheers.)

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I've always admired Jobs for incorporating such a stylish aesthetic into the products he spearheads. I especially loved the look of the original iMac, what with its neon colors and translucent cover. The thing was a piece of art.

Oh yeah, and Pixar, too. Fare thee well, Steve Jobs.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I wonder what the Fans! webcomic will do, since they set him up as being the next major antagonist, devoted to ironically ushering in a stylish 1984 dystopia where he controls all the media in the world?
Seems like it only makes the setup even better. Now instead of being an evil media overlord, he can be an undead evil media overlord. Too soon?

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

It is the loss of a truly inspirational and remarkable man. Farewell, Steve Jobs.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Radrappy wrote:Since he was so young, who knows what amazing achievements he would have made had he survived. If the imac/pod/pad line of gadgets was any indication, this man probably would have been eventually responsible for lightspeed travel.
While I admit that they look good, what exactly makes these useless gadgets overloaded with pointless features, awkward to control as a result of their striving for simplicity at all cost, and selling primarily because of the undifferentiated brand obsession of the average customer an “amazing achievement”? They were and are a stroke of genius in terms of marketing and capitalism, but otherwise seem fairly expendable. (I won't get started on the circumstances under which they are produced, that applies to most products anyway.) Unless I am missing any obvious sarcasm.

Condolences to his family and close acquaintances though, who probably all lost a dear husband, father, son, and friend.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

You know, times like this I'm glad no one in my family is particularly well known. When they eventually meet their end, there won't be a bunch of assholes on the internet deriding their legacy before the body has cooled.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

I could feel guiltier for being sceptical of a business model footing on encouraging wasteful consumption (continuously buying new, shinier models every other year, leaving the old one undesirable and thus to be trashed) in times of resources becoming scarce, people and nature suffocating under mountains of waste, a billion starving because a billion others throw away half of their food every day (often foreign-grown [or fattened]), and production of cheap electronic goods usually going hand in hand with ecological and humanitarian catastrophes in third- and second-world countries, sorry.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

This thread is about a man's death. You don't need to feel guilty, but you could try for respect.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

My initial post was not to attack Steve Jobs or his work, but to question Radrappy's statement. And while I disapprove of the business model of his company (which I doubt he was managing all by himself), this does not the least diminish my respect for him as an individual person and as a human being.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

P.P.A. wrote:but to question Radrappy's statement.
This is neither the time nor the space for it.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

True. I apologise for derailing the thread.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

No tears shed for aristocrats.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

P.P.A. wrote:things
Useless crap overloaded with pointless features, despite their striving for simplicity at all costs? Hm...

Maybe you should be directing your rage at the rest of the mobile computing industry? Reminder: Blackberry has 800,000 unsold tablets sitting in warehouses, and is part of an industry-wide epidemic of thoughtless "me-too" devices. Yeah, the iPad is a luxury even by the standards of the consumer electronics industry, but Apple spends years on the design process when they launch a new product, and that includes minimising the environmental impact. And they're not afraid to make a point of it.

Steve Jobs was a long way from a perfect human being, but his influence in the technology industry will be sorely missed. I hope Apple is able to carry on the philosophies he introduced - keep being different and pushing the envelope, even in the face of derision and uncertainty.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

When he stepped down, I thought he would bounce back later. That sadly came not to be.

As an owner of an iPod, as well as using Mac computers for the past 11 years, his death makes me cry on the inside.