Sega release trailer for.. Sonic CD? What?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Re: Sega release trailer for.. Sonic CD? What?

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

That wasn't a joke. This is a joke:

Knock knock
who's there?
Octopus
octopus who?
I am a vampire

Maybe Sega is waiting for steam's holiday sale to end.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

I don't think the DLC for Generations is out on Steam yet, either, so maybe there's a holdup on the Sega-Valve communication.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Man playing as Tails in this game is the tops. I can just fly to the goddamn bot machines, and around any of the other annoyances that seem to crop up in certain levels! I assume Wacky Workbench is still a trip through the devil's bouncy colon, of course.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Boss and enemy sprites from the cut level, courtesy of Christian Whitehead:

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php? ... ntry733117

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Spring-propelled giant hammerspace wheel? It's a Sonic CD boss alright.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Ten years ago the people at Sonic Cult would be cumming violently right now.

I miss those days.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

This is an old dream come true, a miraculous revelation of a truth I had thought long lost to the sands of R2 time. And yet I'm less moved and blissful than sad that I cannot muster up the joy and enthusiasm deserving of this discovery.
Thank you very much for posting this here, though, I'd not have noticed otherwise.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Is there any word on what Christian Whitehead is doing post-Sonic CD?

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Crisis wrote:Is there any word on what Christian Whitehead is doing post-Sonic CD?
IIRC he has some work lined up, but isn't providing specifics.

Though after Sega's third-party contractors fubar'ed his work on CD, i'd personally prefer not to see him work with them again. The speed cap bug in the console/PC releases is so frustrating I refuse to even boot it up anymore.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

What was this fubaring? I thought we all liked the new Sonic CD? (Those of us who are inclined to like Sonic CD, that is!)

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Also, how come I am only just now seeing this? I'm not sure Sonic CD needs an extra level but it sure looked cool.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

G.Silver wrote:What was this fubaring? I thought we all liked the new Sonic CD? (Those of us who are inclined to like Sonic CD, that is!)
I sure thought I was going to!

But it happens that with the CD spindash enabled, if you are exceeding the basic running speed cap and run off a ledge, or even jump, while holding a direction, you are instantly reset to the cap as if the game randomly decided to slam the brakes on you. Almost any stunt you could think to pull in the game by going quickly enough (for instance, long-jumping to the 1up on the loop in PPZ3, which is inaccessible otherwise) requires you to consciously let go of the D-pad with split-second timing, for no reason, other than to dodge this bug. I refuse to turn off the CD spindash, so as far as i'm concerned it's a game breaker. It gets in the way so many times. Infuriating.

And of course Sega could not be assed to fix it. Taxman only had the chance to do so in the mobile ports, which means jack to me as i'm not giving them $5 again for something they should have tested and fixed in the first place. There are other stupid glitches (game hangs if you drown while crushed, weirdness regarding the accuracy of the clock in time attack that I can't recall the specifics of), but that one in particular is really foul.

The reason I blame the third party contractors is Sega hired them to, I presume, do the conversion of Taxman's work to the consoles/PC. That strikes me as begging for trouble, getting middlemen involved, but would you believe the PC version is a port of the 360 code which was a port of Taxman's native PC code? With Xbox-related graphics left in and everything? What terrible workmanship!

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

My general opinion of the iOS Sonic CD was that it was mostly fine. Nothing in it was a deal breaker, although there were plenty of annoyances - the biggest one for me, aside from dodgy touch controls, was the inability to play music from another app over the game's audio. Super Hexagon does this too, but most of my games don't - how hard can it be to fix?

The additions Christian made are cute but don't really add much. Tails totally breaks the game, as expected, but it was fun to play for about 5 minutes I guess.

If SEGA doesn't put Christian at the helm of a Sonic 2 restoration project, though, I don't know what they're thinking. Even if the restored levels are awful, it would still be an obvious instant purchase for anyone who followed this stuff back in the 90s just to see the art and the concepts finally realised.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Weird! And this is a different cap enforcement than the one that's actually in the SegaCD version, right, where it slows you down if you jump? (I often use that deliberately to make the most of the available runway when time traveling.)

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

G.Silver wrote:Also, how come I am only just now seeing this? I'm not sure Sonic CD needs an extra level but it sure looked cool.
It's a greater shame that Whitehead's extra final boss didn't make it into the game. As much as I love Sonic CD, the final boss was a huge anti-climax.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I've always felt, with the exception of the Metal Sonic race, all the bosses in Sonic CD were kind of weak. If they put in those extra levels and extra bosses, I would have definitely bought the Sonic CD port.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Does anyone know the requirements for the "all stages clear!" achievement? 'Cause unless I'm being more dense than usual it's not by activating by completing, y'know, all stages. They can't mean in all eras?

Oh, and, nice job picking the "spilled rings" SFX for the Sega Forever jingle, ie, the sound we're conditioned to associate with fucking up.