There is a Sonic webcomic and it is ok

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

There is a Sonic webcomic and it is ok

Post by Locit »

Well I like it anyway, partly because I remember just sitting in Chemical Plant Zone doing this
the first time I played Sonic 2. Also for a lot of other things that I (you) remember that apparently someone else also remembers and made into a little webcomic project with one strip per act. Actually the first time I played this part of Marble Zone as a little kid
I almost gave up and had to get my dad to help me get past it--it was the first and last time he ever did something for me in a video game but I really needed it because it was my Very First Video Game and stupid batbots what the heck dad hellllllp. I guess the artist has some other dumb comic about anthropomorphic cats but I don't really care because

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Re: There is a Sonic webcomic and it is ok

Post by G.Silver »

This is awesome. I actually saw the first one of these a long time ago and apparently never followed up on it.

I love how everything appears to be hand-drawn, it adds considerably to the nostalgic feel, like the sort of coloring you'd see in an old Howard and Nester strip.

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Post by Cuckooguy »

This reminds me of stuff I used to do in Sonic games:

Spend stretches of time in Sping Yard in those half pipes to see how high I could get

Intentionally misspell Eggman in the Egg Carrier puzzle for stretches of time because it took a while for the get-hit-by-a-wash-bin gag to wear off

You know how Marble Zone is filled with platforms that move up and down, and how the whole level has this brick aesthetic? Well sometimes I would spam pause until the bricks on the platform were perfectly aligned with the level bricks, and I would marvel at how perfectly aligned I got them. Same for the swinging platforms

I always hear in my head "Star Light Zone" to the first three notes of the Star Light Zone bgm

Sometimes lava would escalate those green lava proof floating blocks, right? Whenever they did, I would look up or down and marvel at how the camera wouldn't catch up to Sonic if I looked up or down in this state

You know those purple spherical teleporters in Sky Sanctuary? My sisters and I for some reason dubbed it the pepepe, pronounced "peh peh peh" and would always say pepepe whenever we used one of those

There's a badnik called Bubbles in the Marble Garden zone. Whenever one popped up, we would always exclaim "Bubbles!!!" in a happy surprised tone.

In the background of the Spring Yard Zone, there's all these green bushes or tree tops or something. There's a certain pattern or shading that looks like a guy with his arms raised that I can't unsee.

There's an area in Carnival Night where the level is filled with water but the water eventually recedes as you're going through the level. I would always try to race the receding water to see who could get to the bottom of the level first.

There's an area in Mushroom Hill where Knuckles could get tangled up in these 2 vines, and the only way to escape these vines is to spin dash. For whatever reason I loved to try to escape them without spindashing (which I think is impossible), but I would try to glide away these 2 vines as Knuckles, and since the longer you glide the faster you go, it would eventually glitch to where Knuckles goes at this exceedingly fast speed and some glitch occurs but I forgot what

When will I get to the end of Get Blue Spheres?!?!?!?!

Blount

Post by Blount »

I always try to race the water in Carnival Night too. Sometimes Sonic gets stuck on the surface and goes down along with the water. Fun!

The Knuckles glitch in Mushroom Hill you're referring to is that the two vines eventually stretch so much that they become invisible. Knucklehead appears to be frozen in mid-air.

While we're at it, I always try to get Sonic stuck inside walls in the first Master System game, because I can make him go where I want much faster. There are only two spots where I know this is possible; one in Green Hill's act 2 and another one in the first act of Labyrinth. Speaking of the former, I always get all the rings in that level because they're so few: only 98, which isn't enough to reset the counter and miss your chance at the Special Stage.

Similarly, I used to love getting as many rings in Sonic Adventure's Final Egg as possible for some reason. I remember my record being over 800.

I don't know if it's because I got older, but I don't seem to have the same kind of goofy memories with any modern games, even though they're much more complex and prone to provide ampler experiences. It's kind of ironic.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Weirdly enough I have been doing a run of Sonic 3 and Knuckles lately, for the first time in years. I've discovered that I'm a lot better at Sonic 3 than I am at & Knuckles.

The game is a lot buggier than I remembered. I had to do a hard reset at the end of Ice Cap Act 2 because I turned Super at the wrong time during the boss fight. I've also had Tails get stuck in a single frame of animation for quite a while, and I got the vines in Mushroom Hill to stretch to the point that they caused graphical glitches as Sonic, completely unintentionally.

Gratifyingly, though, I'm still skilled at Get(ting) Blue Spheres. I got perfects on all 7 regular Emeralds on my first try, although as soon as I hit Mushroom Hill Zone my performance plummeted. As of writing I'm in Sandopolis Zone with 26 lives and I guess a whole bunch of continues too.

Sonic's sprite in Sonic 3 looks slightly off. I can't quite put my finger on why. Is the colour different? Maybe it's just the shading. Is he a different size?

Has anyone else done the glitch with Tails at the end of Angel Island Act 2? The one where you fly on top the capsule, then fly over the invisible wall to meet Knuckles? I figured that out on my own when I was a kid and thought it was the cleverest thing ever.

There are a LOT of rings in Marble Garden, aren't there? I think I had over 300 at one point.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Crisis wrote:There are a LOT of rings in Marble Garden, aren't there? I think I had over 300 at one point.
You can max out the ring counter at 999, actually. At least in Act 1. I think I even have a video of myself doing it sitting around somewhere.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Not Enough Rings has resumed updating! Wooo!

Also, it turns out that the authors of the comic seems to be the same Taeshi that created the "rules" comic for the #Lemonade chat room, and former(?) GHZ poster Suitcase. That basically makes it official GHZ material, right?

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Taeshi (Veronica) is SuitCase's fiancee/partner/girlfriend/whatever. Her more popular work is Bittersweet Candy Bowl, for which Popcorn and I have both done some editing.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I have to admit that at a glance, BCB is not something I would ever expect you or Popcorn to have anything to do with. What side of Segaholic is being revealed here?

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

The part that has to do with my profession? SuitCase hired me to do it.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

See I am learning all sorts of things here. Pretty sure most webcomic authors don't hire editors (they certainly don't talk about them), so that's kind of surprising! Also I didn't know you that was your job.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

Well he mainly wanted Popcorn and me to generally copy edit the website and store and whatnot. He also had me read through volume 2 of the book and offer suggestions on the dialog and content.

I'm working as a technical writer at a software company and try to do writing and editing on the side in what little spare time I have. For example, I copy edited the entirety (around 90,000 words or so) of a friend's website in the first half of this year.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

And just to complete the round of small-world syndrome, that friend of Segaholic's who made the Canada guide is coming over to my house for dinner tomorrow.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

You Canadians are an incestuous bunch. It's sick, really.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Esrever wrote:And just to complete the round of small-world syndrome, that friend of Segaholic's who made the Canada guide is coming over to my house for dinner tomorrow.
Hah, AND you introduced me to that friend at the Emerald City Comic Con (this?) last year! We talked for like an hour next to your booth! (Tell him hello from me!)

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Somehow I missed this the first time it was posted. Great stuff!

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I'm looking forward to their take on the Carnival Night Zone barrel.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Wow. After 1 year I really can't believe they're updating again. Nice!

Yeaaah, BCB has been kind of a guilty pleasure of mine. I read it all on one sitting one day and couldn't stop ever since.

SuitCase

Post by SuitCase »

I'll show you a guilty pleasure

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Can't say I'm not curious.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

I'm both scared and interested!

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

I enjoy this. Short, easy to read, pleasant artwork, good sense of humor...I approve.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Oh god that first Oil Ocean one is so true.

Locit
News Guy

Post by Locit »

First and second:
Pung!

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

SuitCase hired me to copy-edit a lot of the site and shop stuff ages ago. I have nothing to do with the comic, it sucks.