So I'm an ambassador now

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

So I'm an ambassador now

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

Or at least that's what Nintendo tells me. I just got a 3DS but so far I'm only using it to play Mario land and some of my old DS stuff. Now obviously since I own a completely new system I'd like a new game to showcase it and convince me I didn't waste my money. Unfortunately this has forced me to realize why I was putting off buying a year; there aren't any good games available for the system. So I've decided to ask the GHZ community on how best to squander my diplomatic duties.

Neo

Re: So I'm an ambassador now

Post by Neo »

I bought Ocarina of Time 3D at launch date and enjoyed it for what it is: Ocarina of Time. Again. I also got the free soundtrack CD that was part of the limited time promotion. I am a whore.

With the eShop finally going you have at your disposal a bunch of grayscale games released in the late 80s and early 90s as well as about three or four games actually made for the system you bought, two of which are 3D re-releases of games from the early 80s. However, you also have the entire DSiWare catalog to choose from, so you might as well buy Shantae: Risky's Revenge and tell me what's so good about the game, since Locit ignored me entirely. (No hard feelings, bro.)

It's cool that Nintendo is throwing 20 free games my way, even if those 20 games are all old Virtual Console games. It's still 20 games and probably at least 10 of which I've never played before. They didn't really have to do anything, so kudos to them for giving me something to do with the system before Super Mario 3D Land comes out in November, which is the only title in the console's horizon I am actually interested in.

My friend code is 1676 3739 6640, give me yours so I can finally find out what YOUR FAVORITE GAME is and read your 16 character status message.

M.C.Dillinger
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

I bought Shantae: Risky's Revenge at day one and it's everything I expect the team made Contra 4. I was thinking about getting Devil Survivor Overclock but I played about for the original version already. It might not matter since I'm a bit of a SMT fan boy. I bought persona three global for about the same reason it didn't direct off but that didn't come with a sweet, this one doesn't.

I'm really looking forward to supermarket 3-D myself, it looks a natural evolution of Super Mario 64. I mean, bringing in classic Mario concepts is what I would do if I were Tasked with making a 3-D Mario game.

my favorite game is currently listed as The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening. My 16 character message is: that's a nice 3DS you have there, it would be a shame if anything happened to it.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

TheGHZ Friend Code List. Submit or View.

I got Shante as well, but didn't get very far in it. The GameBoy Donkey Kong was a nice, unexpected treat, though. I don't recall the Wii Virtual Console bringing out some of these big guns so early on, and I think the 20 free games will be great, too.

I never beat the N64 version of Ocarina of Time, so I'm working on that, too. Similar thing happened with me and SM64 on the original DS, but that was helped a lot thanks to Luigi being absolutely broken.

In general, the hardware/infastructure isn't strong enough for the 3DS on its own. I've already gotten the 3rd-party battery pack, and it looks like I might have to put little rubber feet inside the clamshell to prevent the bottom screen from scratching the top one. But, as a battered housewife of Nintendo, I'm going to keep trucking through all the hardware faults for the quality software.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

I've primarily been using my 3DS to play DS games, since there are no good games out right now and you've heard all this before

The eShop pickings are pretty slim right now, but the Virtual Console is miles better then the Wii one because you can, y'know, actually save your game. Shame the only game I've bought so far was Super Mario Land, the prices seem a bit unreasonable. I have yet to find much worthwhile DSiWare.

Nintendo Video kind of baffles me. It tries to be an MTV/Nickolodeon by sticking on music videos and animations that are "edgy" and "hip", but falls short of being anything decent. You can only have four videos in your menu (which are updated weekly), one being reserved for homoerotic indie music, one for Collegehumor animations, one for movie trailers, and one which explains Nintendo Video. Fantastic!

Anyways, I've been enjoying the 3DS as a system so far, and these 20 free games look promising. The NES ones are getting updated with wireless online play, and the GBA ones are standard emulated stuff, so that's all good and peachy. I'm still waiting for a killer app to really seal the deal, though.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Jingles wrote:Nintendo Video kind of baffles me. It tries to be an MTV/Nickolodeon by sticking on music videos and animations that are "edgy" and "hip", but falls short of being anything decent. You can only have four videos in your menu (which are updated weekly), one being reserved for homoerotic indie music, one for Collegehumor animations, one for movie trailers, and one which explains Nintendo Video. Fantastic!
Lucky you! Across the pond we've only had two videos for the first three or four weeks, a 2-3 minute magic trick video and an episode of "Oscar's Oasis". The other two slots have since then been semi-permanently occupied by two OK Go videos, All Is Not Lost and White Knuckles, this being the first time we entitled to see the latter. (The video available with the first system update was a generic montage video of several random settings, ranging from fish jumping up a river to people skydiving, all set to ambient music. Delightful.) No movie trailers, no CollegeHumor, no homoerotic indie music. And no Netflix either, though I wouldn't really use it even if I had it.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

From the perspective of one who does not own the system, it seems that the 3DS is mostly used in only a handful of ways:
-ExciteBike
-Ocarina of Time
-Netflix
-Free Mii and AR games

There is something pleasant about hearing the sounds and music from Ocarina of Time coming from the back seat of the car.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Jingles wrote: one being reserved for homoerotic indie music
This is relevant to my interests.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Okay, so, from what I can gather, the NES games are going to be here on the first of September. They'll be updated later in the year to have manuals and, shitting you not, wireless online multiplayer. The GBA games will be pretty much just DS Emulation, without save states or wireless updates or manuals or any other stuff. They'll be coming by "the end of the year", which in Nintendo-time means we'll be getting them in August 2014.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Citation requested. In the meantime, check to see if your an ambassador, not through the eShop or even over SpotPass, but through the NoA website. Good network setup, guys.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

What NES Games Japan is Getting.

The games are:
* Super Mario Bros.
* The Legend of Zelda
* Ice Climber
* Balloon Fight
* Donkey Kong Jr.
* Wrecking Crew
* NES Open Tournament Golf
* Yoshi
* Metroid
* Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link

M.C.Dillinger

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

half that list seems a little disappointing but they are giving them for free. I'm not really surprised that half of them were big names while the other half take up space on the list. Hopefully Super Mario Bros. 3 will be available soon. I personally think it's the best Mario game they made.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

So Nintendo has made downloading these games stupidly and unnecessarily complicated.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

That doesn't sound THAT complicated.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

The point is, they hid the games away in the Updates section! Why not just put them on the eShop (in some special Ambassador section), or have them download through SpotPass?

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Jingles wrote:The point is, they hid the games away in the Updates section! Why not just put them on the eShop (in some special Ambassador section), or have them download through SpotPass?
You have such a fitting avatar.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Some of it's finesse is lost in it's small size.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

GUYSGUYSGUYS The games are here. Follow the instructions and get some NES goodness.

Neo

Post by Neo »

The 3DS is officially on life support.

Dubbed the 3DS Expansion Slide Pad, the device adds two extra shoulder buttons, an extra slide pad and makes the system look like a model 2 Sega CD. Required to play the upcoming Monster Hunter 3G (will probably be bundled?), not clear how this will affect the console as a whole.

Now I can't wait for the conference on the 13th.

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I wonder how much this thing will cost. Why is it so ugly? Isn't this just more reason for us to wait for the inevitable second (or third if they nix features on the second) model of the 3DS?

Is this Nintendo's way of saying Sony's PS Vita strategy is better? So many questions.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Or people are thinking too much into it. Either way, anything bundled with a Monster Hunter release is going to be a success in japan if nowhere else.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

This was my first thought.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Maybe... maybe we can pretend it's only for Monster Hunter! Maybe we can pretend it's only going to be some strange obscurity that will never be released over here! Right, gang?

...Right, gang?

gr4yJ4Y

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Farmer wrote:This was my first thought.
Apple is supposed to be Nintendo's #1 competitor. Maybe they're just trying to prove Steve wrong.