The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra Trailer

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Edgerock

The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra Trailer

Post by Edgerock »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8e45WHRxL0

Oh wow... that animation is so damn good...

Also new details spoiled just in case.
-City is now called "United Republic", founded by Aang and Zuko
-Korra's Krew is the new Aang gaang
-Brothers in her Krew, One is a firebender, one is an earthbender
-Fire is Mako, Earth is Bolin
-Mako is the brooding...not as amuch as Zuko, Bolin is the younger, goofier brother. Kind of naive.
-Bolin is a way of incorp the original type of character they wanted for Toph
-Bear is titled Naga...and is female
-Paboo, the red panda black footed ferret.
-Paboo will be Bolins buddy, and is known as a fire ferret in the series
-Aang finds a heard of sky bison after the war
-new species of flying lemur
-Kataang has 3 Kids, youngest is an airbender named Tenzin
-Tenzin has a family, and three kids
-Meelo is Tenzins little boy
-Tenzin is very serious, but when his kids are crazy, he can be really funny, tries to be the "zen master" but loses his patience sometimes
-Pema is Tenzin's wife
-Tenzin has 3 airbenders kids, Pemma however is not a bender
-Jinora, bookworm, oldest of Tenzins kids
-Iki talks a mile a minute and is really fun and crazy
-On meelo: strangely the uglier he got the cuter be became
-Revolutionarly leader is Avon - Creepy masked guy..
=Chi Blockers are his henchmen, Ty lees discipline spread
-All of the "bad guys" are masked, very steampunk esque
-METALBENDER COPS
-Toph traveled the world and taught earthbenders how to harness the ability, a rare thing, but they are the elite, swap team of Republic city. spools on their back that release and contract metal cables so they can zip around the city
-TOPHS DAUGHTER IS CHIEF OF POLICE . no word on who the father is.

http://legendofkorraforums.com/forum/vi ... ad_id=1786

More pics if you want to see.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Re: The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra Trailer

Post by Radrappy »

I am by no means a fan of the original, but that looks pretty nice!

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Ohhhh, I am looking forward to this. Oh man. It's been a while since I was this excited for something.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Also, looking forward to this. I really resisted the TV series when it came out, I was really dismissive ("No thanks, I've already seen Fushigi Yuugi"), and I was shocked by how good it was when I eventually did give it a fair chance.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

Radrappy wrote:I am by no means a fan of the original, but that looks pretty nice!
Why no love for the series? (I suppose I could look through the old Avatar thread, but ehh..)

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmsT63BgFPw

Viacom took down the original trailer in the opening post.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

has anyone been watching this show? I think it's much better than the first show. last airbender was more of a straightforward journey story while korra is more about politics and conspiracies. The characters feel pretty much recycled from the first show but it's still fun to watch.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

I'd like it a lot more if Korra herself wasn't so unlikable(http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn22 ... _korra.jpg), there wasn't such an emphasis on awkward teenage romance, and the dialogue wasn't so ham fisted in general. Setting this thing in a steampunk 1920's is a disservice to the original in just about every way. Thesteampunk robots in episode 7 were cringe worthy and the newsreel that opens every episode is really painful to sit through and pretty much represents everything wrong with the show tonally.

That said the production values are top notch. The fight choreography is great.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I think it was really brave of the creators to step away from the original and not create Magical China Land Adventures Part 2. I really like the 1920s aspect, even the newsreel! I do wish part of Korra's avatar-training included lessons on not making an ass of herself in public, and it would also be nice if the show could advance the plot without characters needing to act like complete morons to generate conflict. But overall I like it a lot!

Senbei

Post by Senbei »

That's pretty believable, though -- teenagers are complete morons. It's something that worked in the first series, too -- the Aang gang often made dumb mistakes or conflicted for irrational reasons. But they each had to grow out of this jejune mentality, and that's where the really interesting story is, and I've no doubt that that's what Legend of Korra is going for.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Senbei wrote:That's pretty believable, though -- teenagers are complete morons. It's something that worked in the first series, too -- the Aang gang often made dumb mistakes or conflicted for irrational reasons. But they each had to grow out of this jejune mentality, and that's where the really interesting story is, and I've no doubt that that's what Legend of Korra is going for.
Plenty of shows star believable teenage protagonists that aren't dumb d-bags though(Terry Mcginnis from batman beyond is a good example of this). You can make someone likable while still showing they have plenty of room to grow.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I'm with Gsilv. Korra's probably the best animated show on television since TAS. Plus I like Korra as a character--she only ever really comes off as douchebaggy in the picture Radrappy linked, and maaaaybe about five minutes of the first episode. (She's not really that much more rash or emotional than Terry, dude.) My only real complaint is that its pacing feels like it could stand to take just a few more seconds once in a while to let this or that line sink in, or to let this or that character react. That said, I can see how you'd feel pressured to keep things at a brisk pace if you were working under the assumption of only getting 12 episodes, or however many the show was originally slated for. In any case Tarlok blood bending threw me for a loop in the last episode. I'd been wondering if they'd bring that back.

The robots/mechs were really, really stupid though.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I think one problem with the character Korra is that she is a combination of katara and toph but she does not have the same charm as either of the characters.

It's nice how the bad guys feel like they have more depth.I always felt in the first show fire lord ozai was kind of lame because he did not have a strong appearance throughout the show and felt more one dimensional when he finally fought. This is probably why when I think of the main villain of avatar i think of Azula because the viewer got to see her personality a lot more. Amon is so far looking like an awesome villain.

I do like how all the bad guys can hold their own and whoop the crap out of the protagonists very well, except it would be nice to see the protagonists win a bit more. It feels like every episode as korra and her friends just getting their asses kicked.

another thing I like and hate about this show is that every episode ends on a cliffhanger. It makes the wait for the next episode so damn painful. Young Justice has a tendency to do this as well.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Majestic Joey wrote: I do like how all the bad guys can hold their own and whoop the crap out of the protagonists very well, except it would be nice to see the protagonists win a bit more. It feels like every episode as korra and her friends just getting their asses kicked.
I've actually been enjoying this quite a bit. I mean, it makes sense: they're a bunch of teenagers going up against adults who have years more training, some of them on exactly how to take out benders. And unlike Aang and company Korra is really the only bending prodigy in the group.

Senbei

Post by Senbei »

Hey, the season finale was a lot of fun! Many instances of "that was so awesome!" Particularly, of course, Korra kicking Amon's ass and later connecting to Aang and learning to heal the benders. Substantial deus ex and tons of parachutes, perhaps, but the episode did a great job of bringing the protagonists to their lowest point so that the payoff could be equivalently joyful.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I was not expecting it to wrap up so neatly--are they going to make more episodes? I liked it but I thought it was kind of a cop out (or a concession for a "happy end") for Aang to just show up and teach Korra how to return a person's bending. That she would learn the skill eventually seemed pretty likely, but just having it handed to her is pretty weak--it didn't feel earned! Would Aang's own bender-sealing be compatible with Amon's? Why would he know how to cure it? The parachutes were pretty excessive but on the other hand, how many Nick shows end with a double villain suicide? (Amon might have lived, of course). Anyway, they ARE going to make more episodes, right?

Senbei

Post by Senbei »

Word has long been that there will be two seasons, so, yeah, I guess?

You're right about the healing power rationally -- similarly, her air bending manifested out of thin air, and it would have been better to have seen more training going into it -- but it worked great as an emotional pay-off. Overall, I think they did a great job considering how few episodes they were working with.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

G.Silver wrote:I was not expecting it to wrap up so neatly--are they going to make more episodes? I liked it but I thought it was kind of a cop out (or a concession for a "happy end") for Aang to just show up and teach Korra how to return a person's bending. That she would learn the skill eventually seemed pretty likely, but just having it handed to her is pretty weak--it didn't feel earned! Would Aang's own bender-sealing be compatible with Amon's? Why would he know how to cure it?
Totally agree. That was the only thing I hated. Seemed way too easy. Otherwise the finale was spectacular. Also Mako is a player.

Senbei

Post by Senbei »

Season 2 concept art here.

Emphasis will be on the spirit realm, which was featured a few times in Last Airbender, including one of the creepiest episodes of the series, so that's great news! Concept art shows off icy environments (probably water tribe hangouts), a bunch of new characters, and a couple vehicles in proximity to Asami.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Everyone just keeps getting whiter!

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

to bad korra is a kid show. I don't see how they will top blood bending. It'd be cool if they could make fire benders make people spontaneously combust but that probably won't happen.

I am curious to see the direction that this show takes now that Korra has all the elements and is pretty much nobody comes close to her level. I'm mostly wondering how this next antagonist will match her.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

I have come back to this show again and again hoping to somehow understand what it is people like about it but to no avail. Nothing was more ridiculous than seeing an old dude with a bolo tie blood bend an ENTIRE COURTHOUSEeffortlessly. Not even Amon's identity was very interesting at all. It was just out of left field and inserted into the previous episode.
Majestic Joey wrote:to bad korra is a kid show. I don't see how they will top blood bending.
this kind of bothers me. What exactly is it that you're asking for here? Will extreme violence somehow make the show better? Let a show be mature via it's themes and the issues it presents, not the number of f bombs or decapitations it has.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

i just don't think they will top blood bending. It' an ability that makes your opponent unable to move. What can the next bad guy do to best that? the only thing i can think of is make them spontaneously combust with fire bending or taking the air out of someones body with air bending. I don't care if it is gruesome at all. I just don't want to be thinking to myself that the season 2 villian is garbage compared to Amon when I am watching the show.

Senbei

Post by Senbei »

Remember the Face Stealer from Last Airbender? I think that's the kind of thing we can look forward to. I wouldn't worry.