Amazing Spider-Man Teaser Trailer

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Gaz

Amazing Spider-Man Teaser Trailer

Post by Gaz »

Here.

I think we can consider all doubts about this film pretty much ......still there.

In all seriousness I don't know what the general feeling here is about this film. I've seen various opinions elsewhere from "Reboot! That sucks!" to "This will be awesome compared to the other films". Personally, I'm glad we're not getting another Raimi film. I feel the previous trilogy was somewhat overrated(particularly the second movie) but I do think a reboot was a bit unnecessary and I'm not completely sure if this will actually fix the problems of the previous films.

I'm liking some of what I see. Andrew Garfield certainly looks the part more than Tobey Maguire did. I do like that it looks like they'll be including Peter's parents in this film(something that was ignored in the previous films). However, the tone of that trailer seemed a bit too dark and moody for a Spider-Man film and the first person sequence at the end seemed a bit ropey. Plus did we really need to see the origin AGAIN? That was one thing I felt they pretty much nailed in the first film. I'm still looking forward to seeing the end result but I'm still not convinced about this film yet.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Re: Amazing Spider-Man Teaser Trailer

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Gaz wrote:I feel the previous trilogy was somewhat overrated(particularly the second movie)
The only one of the bunch I liked was the first. The second one didn't really push things beyond what the first one did and the third fell apart.

I'm glad they're doing a reboot. It would've been hard to sweep up the pieces of the third film and it sounded like most of the people involved were ready to move onto other projects. As much as I loved the first Spider-Man I'd like to see another interpretation of it and this trailer shows that there's some potential here.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

You're both wrong. The second one is by far the best and is a great film in general. Overrated? The hell it is. You know what's overrated? Iron man and Thor. Those movies sucked cock. Save an accusation like that for a movie that is actually trash please.

But yeah, 3rd movie is junk.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

Gaz wrote:However, the tone of that trailer seemed a bit too dark and moody for a Spider-Man film
Perhaps this film needs some dark and moody in it. I won't be too heartbroken if this film turns out to be balls, but they have the opportunity to do here what they did for Batman in The Dark Knight. That is, make a superhero film that's at least vaguely credible. That'd probably be a harder task with superpowers added in, but I think the attempt at making a superhero feel like something that could exist in the real world rather than a brightly coloured comic book movie is what made TDK so very good.
Gaz wrote:the first person sequence at the end seemed a bit ropey.
First thought: Somebody needs to make a Spider-Man mod for Mirror's Edge.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

Not sure, but it looks like they may have brought back the web shooter device? I liked Tobey Maguire as Spider-Man, though I never really saw the third film. Put me down as another person who thought SM2 was better than the first.
The new guy reminds me too much of Robert Pattinson in Twilight. It's the hair and the broody mood, I guess. I always thought Peter Parker was more of the nerdy/geeky type, rather than emo/broody. I guess they have to go with whatever puberty-age people can relate to. (See also the change in the way the HP films have been presented/advertised?)

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

MiraiTails wrote:Not sure, but it looks like they may have brought back the web shooter device?
Mechanical web shooters are confirmed.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Doing a reboot movie while calling it "Spiderman 4" its a bad idea. Personaly, I am tired of live action spiderman, I would only watch a new spiderman movie if it was CGI. Pixar proved you can do a GOOD superhero movie with CGI, so why not do it with marvel number one seller superhero?

Whats the problem? Disney owns Marvel and Pixar, get to work people, make a Spiderman CGI movie, go!

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

...except nobody's CALLING it "Spider-Man 4". :confused:

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

It shows promise. The costume is a big step down from the previous films, change for the sake of change. Nerd Gwen is very much appreciated, as is setting the entire film in high school. An Aunt May that young is just weeeird. The one off putting element from the trailer is how they seem to be playing up Peter's parents. I hope they don't go down the super spy angle. Even the Ultimate Spider-Man take on Peter's parents as scientists working on secret projects and dying in suspicious circumstances was too much.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I am not really digging the "angsty teen heartthrob turns his life around and becomes a huge nerd" angle.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Radrappy wrote:You're both wrong. The second one is by far the best and is a great film in general. Overrated? The hell it is. You know what's overrated? Iron man and Thor. Those movies sucked cock. Save an accusation like that for a movie that is actually trash please.

But yeah, 3rd movie is junk.
Thank you.

Spider-Man 2 is an excellent film. Loved it. Doc Ock was the best comic-book movie villain (That is, until Ledger played the role of The Joker in 2008, of course) I loved seeing Peter's life fall apart. The train scene was fantastic. Otto's transformation was disturbing and exciting, and they gave more depth to Harry's character. Drama, Suspense, Action, Comedy. This movie had it all and balanced it perfectly. There wasn't a second of that movie where I was bored. A shame the third one sucked so much.

I haven't watched the trailer and don't even care about this reboot. Just came in to this topic to chime my support for Spidey 2.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Not liking the origin angle! Just jump straight into it -- we've heard this story a dozen times! Trailer's also desperately lacking in its dumb jokes/battle banter quota, a want that I also resent the Raimi films for.

Seeing a lot of potential disappointment here, but it could be saved by the right antagonist. Any word on that?

Gaz

Re:

Post by Gaz »

Senbei wrote:Seeing a lot of potential disappointment here, but it could be saved by the right antagonist. Any word on that?
It's the Lizard. I think that's another thing that's annoyed fans of the previous films given that they had Dylan Baker play Dr Connors in the previous films with the character as Peter's college teacher and had a potential setup for a Lizard story only now they go the reboot route and have Rhys Ifans play the role. Personally,I don't mind but I'm not really sure how well the Lizard would work on screen. Going to have to see some footage first.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

cjmcray wrote:The train scene was fantastic.
The train scene was the stupidest part of the film. Spider-Man tried to bring the train to a stop with his feet. And somehow managed to survive. His super strength and resistance to injury only go so far, and that went way beyond any credibility. And then we're supposed to believe that not one of the dozens of New Yorkers who had a good long look at his face didn't snap a picture on their phone, or otherwise try to sell a story on Spider-Man's secret identity?

And then there are bits like Doc Ock throwing a car at Peter Parker through the diner window. He wanted information from Parker, so why would he do something that would kill or at the very least knock out and severely injure a normal human?
Senbei wrote:Seeing a lot of potential disappointment here, but it could be saved by the right antagonist. Any word on that?
I think it's all but confirmed to be the Lizard.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

I can't deny that stopping the train was a stretch, but can't you just chalk it up to a surge of adrenaline or something?
As far as no one on the train trying to sell a photo, maybe they didn't do it because they were all too shocked to stop and take a photo. Or maybe it was just out of respect for him for saving their lives.

It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but didn't Doc Ock already sort of suspect him as Spider-Man when he threw the car?

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Thematically, the train scene works as an echo of the first movie's bridge scene, where the New Yorkers come to Spidey's aid. Raimi favors theme over believability in all three films, which is both a gift and a curse.
the Lizard
Well, balls.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Crazy Penguin wrote:Spider-Man tried to bring the train to a stop with his feet. And somehow managed to survive.
Well yeah, that part was stupid. But I thought the rest of that sequence was exciting. All of Spider-Man's abilities
were used to their utmost potential in that scene.

And I think the reason nobody snapped his picture was out of respect. The guy almost died saving their lives.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Casting Donald Glover as Spider-Man is just about the only thing that would have gotten me to care about this movie.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

About 10 minutes of footage was shown of this film at Comic Con. From the reports there was 1 thing that stood out that has me a little more hopeful. From IGN's summary.
The first time we see Spider-Man in action, we also get to hear the character's trademark sarcasm (portrayed much more accurately than Raimi's films ever captured it). The tone here is very much in line with Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man. This is apparent in a scene where Spidey surprises a car thief in the act. Spidey's sitting in the back of the car when the thief asks "Are you a cop?" And Spidey can't resist sarcastically tearing down the guy for thinking cops wear red and blue tights.

Outside the car, the thief pulls a knife and Spidey melodramatically falls to his knees, "begging" not to be hurt. He then shoots a web, pinning the thief's knife to the wall and following that bit by showing off his webslinging in increasingly showy and comedic ways. (At one point, Spidey fakes a sneeze to shoot out his webs.)
I really missed the wisecracks and the more humorous aspects of Spider-Man in the previous films so I'm glad to hear they seem to have got that part of the character a little more accurate this time round. I'm still pretty skeptical about everything else but I'm hoping the next trailer gives a better representation of the overall film.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Sounds like maybe it won't be such a dark-seeming movie after all, then? It does sound like that first trailer wasn't really giving the movie an accurate representation.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Gaz wrote:I really missed the wisecracks and the more humorous aspects of Spider-Man in the previous films
I didn't. That stuff might have been enduring in the 90's when every character was expected to possess a certain amount of raditude but there's no place for it any more. Hopefully he doesn't just come off as obnoxious.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

There is always a place for it in Spider-Man! It's one of his defining characteristics.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

I think Garfield eyeing the fly was enough proof that it'd have some humor, regardless of the "dark" aesthetic. But yeah, the beginning-all-over-again thing doesn't interest me in the slightest. As for the Raimi ones, I like all three. The first one was good, second one slightly better, third one slightly worse. I find it hard to understand why people jizz all over the second one and shit all over the third one, probably got their expectations way too high.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

j-man wrote:There is always a place for it in Spider-Man! It's one of his defining characteristics.
Pssh, humor is just so 90s. Which begs the question, when there are about 2,000 other heroes in Marvel's pantheon, why go with Spiderman if you're not going to play him straight? Again?

Websneezing sounds pretty funny even in text, though. It looks fucking awful right now and I wouldn't really care either way, but I guess sucking isn't a foregone conclusion.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »