80710A06

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

80710A06

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I don't play games during the week, and online multiplayer is not usually in my realm of interest, and I've actually got nothing to play right now anyway (at least until Portal 2 comes in) - but even though it hasn't affected my world much (yet), the scope of this fiasco has not failed to boggle my mind. The most stunning thing about it is Sony's stone silence. It's tantamount to admitting and advertising their own incompetence. Is there any particular reason they can't offer an explanation more specific than "we're working on it"? It's almost painful to watch.

I can only begin to imagine the money that's being lost. I don't think they're going to recover from this embarrassment until the PS4.

Any affected parties here?

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Re: 80710A06

Post by Farmer »

My brother bought a PS3 the other day, and his opinion of Sony has just hit rock bottom. It's directly affecting me because his end of Portal 2 co-op won't work without PSN.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I haven't kept a very close eye on the issue, but it appears that there was some kind of dramatic security breach. The question is whether or not user details have been leaked. If so, then that's obviously pretty catastrophic. If not, then it's just been a loss of face, and Sony has survived those before.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

I don't play online enough to really care. Credit card uncertainty is scary, but I think we'd have heard by now if it was a problem. It's sadly ironic that this happened just after Portal 2, with its long-touted multi-platform co-op, released.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

No disrespect to anyone who's had money tied up in PSN or anything, but as far as i'm concerned, couldn't have happened to nicer assholes. I eagerly await the real explanation for this "security breach".

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Don't know if you've already read the latest update, so here you go: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/04/ ... -qriocity/

I've read that 4chan's Anonymous attacked Sony because of the whole GeoHot thing. It wouldn't surprise me if they fried their servers or something.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

In an update this morning, Seybold said there is no update or timeframe for getting the network back up yet.
And I can't help but laugh.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

CM August

Post by CM August »

You can't be serious. Have they been getting away with this the whole time? And if this is true, won't they be clubbed to death now that the secret's out?

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Well, looks like all the data has been taken. Sony haven't confirmed whether the credit card data was definitely stolen, but given Ritz's find, I'd say that seems very likely.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Reports are coming in of $10 charges being made on credit cards associated with PSN accounts. So we could be seeing a major organised crime in progress.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Yeah, this has pretty much passed the point of embarrassment and evolved into full-blown catastrophe. They will not fully recover from this this console generation. I hope someone lost their job. Microsoft, meanwhile, while enjoying the sudden influx of new Xbox Live accounts, should be on high alert.

If I worked in Sony's PR department, I would resign or commit suicide, whichever I could achieve faster.

CM August

Post by CM August »

So uh, I bought some PSOne Classic games for my PS3 a year or so back. I'm kinda sorta really regretting that now.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

It’s so bad, it brought UK:Resistance back from the dead just to laugh at Sony for the debacle.

That said, this explains why I haven’t been able to connect to PSN in two weeks. I haven’t been using my PS3 much but I did try to add a friend and to download the demo for the new DHE game Gungnir, and yet I always got an error. I never bothered to look more deeply into the matter but I thought something was wrong with my connection. While my inability to play After Burner Climax (it requires me to download some validation thing all of a sudden, which, of course, I cannot) is but a minor grievance, I am rather worried about the credit card data now.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I want to know what the hackers are buying with the $10 transactions. It would be funny if they were donating to charity or something.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Well, don't want to waste money? Give a chance to free an open source games.

Here is my list:

Akuji The Demon

Play the villain, beat the king who once imprisoned, its just awesome, but play it in the hard mode because its a tad easy, in the time this little Jewel was released it put many gba games to shame

Guardian of Paradise

Zelda like game, one of my friends thinks it better than cabve story, but may just be the graphics, yeah its by the same guy who did Akuji.

( the original Cave story is of course out of the question)

Quadrax

Puzzle

Bridging the Gap

A simple game where you construct a bridge for a train to cross, its really addictive.

Runman

How fast can you reach the end of the stage?

The Spirit Engine 2

A RPG

Warzone 2100

A RTS

Battle for Wesnoth

A Turn Taking Strategy game

Scorched 3D

Scorched Earth clone

Hedgewars

Worms clone, really fun

Lugaru

A Fighting game

Trackmania Nations: Forever

A bit old, but fun racing game

Phun

A Sandbox game

Frogatto

You run and jump around, cling to walls, and lick up bad guys with your tongue, what else do you need?

Subvein

A shooter

Urban Terror

A First Person Shooter (FPS)

Alien Arena

First person shooter (Yeah another one)

Glace

Easy and cute kiddy game

Secret Maryo Chronicles

Shameless super mario like game, it doesn't work exactly the same and I bet it just got that name to atract players

FreeCiv

Simcity remake, if you prefer the older simcity games, this is for you!

SuperTuxKart

A Mario Kart clone, it still not completed, but that doesn't mean its not fun!

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Good Madoka, Arcade! I thought you were a spambot there for a moment (just without links and with homebrew games instead of sexual stimulants).

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

On a related note, I had my debit card (which I used--a lot--on PSN) closed and I'm getting a new one with a new number soon as a result of this. FORTUNATELY, I haven't seen any illicit activity on my KeyBank statements...yet. I'm also gonna change my PSN password and such once the service has been restored.

Sad fact is, my major annoyance about this whole thing has been my denial of Netflix sevices. I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF WATCHING ATTENBOROUGH DOCUMENTARIES ;_;

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I liked how Arcade seemed to start off putting a bit of effort into his descriptions (well, a sentence worth) and rapidly descended into "a [genre]".

Dash

Post by Dash »

Geez, what a crock. I got a PS3 around November, mostly to play games with a friend of mine. I was considering some digital purchases.... glad I put those off, saving any important info from being leaked. Sony is going to have to print a lot more of those money cards, because no one(me, at least) will ever buy anything with their credit cards on their network from here on, if they buy anything at all. Just wow. I look forward to the new ad campaign they come up with. I have no idea how they're going to extend enough goodwill to make up for this mess.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Hahaha.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Dash wrote:I look forward to the new ad campaign they come up with.
Err... "It Only Leaks Everything"?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Yami CJMErl wrote:Sad fact is, my major annoyance about this whole thing has been my denial of Netflix sevices. I WAS IN THE MIDDLE OF WATCHING ATTENBOROUGH DOCUMENTARIES ;_;
THIS. :D

I have my Netflix set up through my Wii--you can, I think, use more than one device for it, if you have 'em, anyway.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

G.Silver wrote:I want to know what the hackers are buying with the $10 transactions. It would be funny if they were donating to charity or something.
I actually had my credit card info stolen a couple years back (right before I came to Japan) and at first there was only a single $10 transaction for Blockbuster online or something. I called the card company and they thought it was a fluke (so did I), so the charge was reversed. Two months later is when the big transactions showed up.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I routinely get my card frozen when I renew my subscription to a Swiss virtual private network at £6 a pop. I think my account is flagged for suspicious activity because I make withdrawals at both my home and student addresses.

Although the scary thing is, if someone had my card details, address, and D.O.B., I don't think there would be anything stopping them from impersonating me.