Guess the Sonic Generations Stages

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Re: Guess the Sonic Generations Stages

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Hydrocity Zone made ScrewAttacks top ten worst water levels.

Not surprising behavior considering the local-radio station-DJ-wannabe douchebag source, but they chose that over Labyrinth Zone? Really?

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Didn't they once declare Sonic R the worst Sonic game ever made? I'm not particularly surprised.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Hydrocity Zone made ScrewAttacks top ten worst water levels.

Not surprising behavior considering the local-radio station-DJ-wannabe douchebag source, but they chose that over Labyrinth Zone? Really?
I've always liked Labyrinth Zone over Hydrocity only because the latter really lacks any sort of challenging platforming and is almost streamlined to a fault. Because I can always run through it with nary a sweat, I find it to be one the most boring water levels in the Sonic franchise.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

(Obligatory edit limit comment)

It sounds like for that "Top Worst" list they just plucked the first water level they could think of in Sonic games. Given that drowning is a lot more likely in Labyrinth Zone (or Aquatic Ruins or Tidal Tempest, if you manage to get deep in water in those stages), that would've been a better choice for their apparent rationale.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

That's what I meant: given their own criteria for "awful", Labyrinth fits the metric better. But I don't expect anyone who wears backwards baseball caps over the age of 12 to posses the cognitive ability to be logically consistent.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Two new stages officially confirmed in Famitsu! One is Chemical Plant, and the other... well, I guess it might have been too early to call a winner for our contest after all, because the Metal Sonic boss fight looks like it's in Stardust Speedway.

http://www.tssznews.com/2011/07/14/firs ... tal-sonic/

I'm sure it's only for the boss fight, but that still counts as far as I'm concerned. And if the boss fights can take place in their own stages, some of you may have more correct guesses than we thought! WE SHALL SEE.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

None of the leaked info said anything about a Knuckles battle, which would logically take place in Hidden Palace (which is Lava Reef Act 3 as far as I'M concerned), IIRC. So I wouldn't be getting our hopes up.

For goodness' sake, Silver gets a boss fight. Silver!

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

I have to say I'm a bit disappointed that the Metal Sonic race isn't in full 3D... I mean, if anything is dying to be redone in modern style, it's that race. But still... HELL YES, STARDUST SPEEDWAY!

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Shall we start taking bets on whether they use the Japanese or American music?

Looking good so far. Hope they don't forget forget to include Eggman in the race. Part of me does wish they'd cheat and use the Present version of Stardust Speedway, like they did in the end credits animation. DLC?

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

As much as the Japanese soundtrack has grown on me, the NA version has been thoroughly internationalized by this point. Wouldn't mind the NA Good Future music, though.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

While the US soundtrack has a lot of superior tracks (like Tidal Tempest), I really think that there just isn't any comparison when it comes to Stardust Speedway. The US version just doesn't feel iconic at all.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Pepperidge wrote:While the US soundtrack has a lot of superior tracks (like Tidal Tempest), I really think that there just isn't any comparison when it comes to Stardust Speedway. The US version just doesn't feel iconic at all.
Objection! Tidal Tempest is one of the few tracks where I would consider both soundtracks equal, but to call the Japanese version inferior is blasphemous.
I hope it's the Japanese track. Like almost any song in the game it fits the stage much better and creates a unique mood, as well as an organic union with the level design, graphics, and everything else. The US tracks are often nicer to listen to on their own, but they fail to live up to the rest of the game and to harmonise with it. Stardust Speedway would be a good example—while it works very well in the Present, the Good and Bad Future versions could be swapped and it would not seem off; the Good Future sounds much too sinister and tense, while the Bad Future lacks the chaotic and dystopian air of its Japanese counterpart.
The lack of distinct, overarching melodies also hurts it quite a bit.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Tidal Tempest Present is the only track from the US soundtrack that even comes close to matching its JP counterpart for me, though I've got a soft spot for WWP because it reminds me of those shows from the 90s no one ever watched, like Popular Mechanics and those DIY construction deals. As for this, considering just how out of left field that Endless Mine cameo was in City Escape, a mix of the two tracks isn't entirely out of the question, right? That'd be cool.

Generations totally exceeded my expectations again with these new CPZ scans, but I wasn't really expecting it to be so red, you know? This turned out to be worse than when they showed that 1 second clip of Rooftop Run at the end of the City Escape trailer, and I saw five or six dedicated Sonic fans who were unable to distinguish the two stages. Now Stardust Speedway is Chemical Plant too and parts of Chemical Plant are Crisis City. Sure, there's something to be said for mental retardation, but the level selection is turning out to be far more same-ish than I'd even imagined!

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:None of the leaked info said anything about a Knuckles battle, which would logically take place in Hidden Palace (which is Lava Reef Act 3 as far as I'M concerned), IIRC. So I wouldn't be getting our hopes up.
I'm half expecting Knuckles (Classic era), Gmerl (Adventure/Advance era) and Blaze (Modern era) rival battles in the 3DS version.

Okay, so I'm not actually expecting Gmerl at all, but he'd certainly fit the role!

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

For goodness' sake, Silver gets a boss fight. Silver!
To be fair, most people probably want to beat the crap out of Silver.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Re: Sonic CD music, the only track I really cared about from the US set was Invincibility, and I'm positive they're not going to swap those out for each level.