Sound of Speed OCR Album

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Sound of Speed OCR Album

Post by G.Silver »

I know the response here to the OCR albums for Sonic 2 and 3&K have been kind of low, and I've had a kind of middle range response to both. There were a couple songs on the Hedgehog Heaven that I really liked alongside a lot of meh, and then Project Chaos had a few that I liked even more, alongside some that I don't like at all. I'm known to have some lousy taste in music so you can freely take it with a grain of salt when I say this, but the new one, Speed of Sound (based on Sonic 1), is just right.

I think I actually like everything on this one, and some of them I really like a lot. The Scrap Brain remix doesn't just appeal to me because I recognize it and because it sounds pretty good, it actually manages to make me recall the feeling of playing Scrap Brain for the first time and re-experience how magical the game was, and there aren't many that can do that! One of my favorite remix tricks to hear is when they subtly sneak in hints at other Sonic songs, and quite a few of them seem to do that on this one, but they're so sneaky about it (to my unexceptional ear, anyway) that I don't notice right away, and I love it when I suddenly pick up on it and figure it out. The boss theme rolls along ominously and then suddenly incorporates the comparatively "poppy" Game Gear/Master System boss theme--I love it!

It may be shameful to admit that a large chunk of my playlist is Sonic remixes, but even then, sometimes I get really excited about some of them, and I think this is a really nice set worth recommending.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Re: Sound of Speed OCR Album

Post by Locit »

Yeah this album is totally great. I'd like to add more to what Gsilv said, but I think he sums it up pretty well! Definitely check it out if you like the classic soundtracks, which should be all of you.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Project Chaos is easily the best of the Sonic remix albums and nothing from the newest one really stood out to me.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

(Where did the musical holocaust posts go?)

Eh, I’m very unimpressed. Perhaps it’s because my standards for fan-made remixes have been raised immensely high by all the Touhou rearrangements I listen to, but while not bad, I also hear nothing really good in here either; it’s just barely average. At least those times when the songs are actually still recognisable (not that the rest sounds good or original enough to stand on its own).

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

P.P.A. wrote:(Where did the musical holocaust posts go?)
Someone's been censoring all of Kogen's Jew-related posts, and he just got permbanned with a sneak undetectable extermination for showcasing his Jewish pride in his avatar and personal info. Anyone want to own up to this? The GHZ's usually a lot classier about this sort of thing.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

To be fair, The GHZ is also usually a lot classier than Kogen’s antics.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

What? Why in the hell was Kogen banned? Sure he complains a lot, but that's no reason for a banning.

I did notice one of Kogen's posts just disappeared in the WiiHD topic too (Though i'm not sure if he did it himself or not)

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Well, there's pushing the envelope, and then there's rolling up the envelope into a point and poking you in the eye with it every fifteen minutes.

I like to sink my teeth into a decent remix every now and again. One of my favourite house tunes is a remix, in fact, and takes a massive piss on the original. You can recognise the same themes and samples, but they're restructured to create a tune with a similar vibe, yet also a unique identity. Most Sonic music is pretty great as it is, which is a defining characteristic of the games, but what I find with the OCR stuff is it seems to fall into two categories; the exact same tune NOW WITH GUITAR, which is inherently pointless, or something completely unrecognisable and missing or diluting those strong musical themes the series is known for. It's not terrible by any stretch of the imagination, but turning Spring Yard Zone into some kind of chiptune/lounge arrangement is somewhat upsetting in a greater context.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

I'm usually OK with almost anything that has a good bass guitar somewhere in it. I'll check it out.
Segaholic2 wrote:Project Chaos is easily the best of the Sonic remix albums and nothing from the newest one really stood out to me.
I really liked the Hydrocity and Marble Garden remixes, but can't remember much of the others.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

Grain of salt taken. Most of the tracks sound pretty standard, except for Starlight, which is weirdly out of tune, and Scrap Brain which actually does work fairly well. I do hate it when remixers - OCR are terrible for this - stick random sound effects from the games into the track like so.

By the way, this is a remix done right.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Ritz wrote:The GHZ's usually a lot classier about this sort of thing.
Is that so?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Yeah! He was driven off by virtue of pure shame. The way it should be done, y'know, instead of silently disabling an account and pruning the offending posts, which is funny because I'm pretty sure the edit/delete time limit was first imposed because "depublishing" was apparently such a huge problem. Kind of a slimy manbaby move, but whatever!

This place is going to be dull as hell without an antagonist to keep you all on your toes.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Ritz wrote:This place is going to be dull as hell without an antagonist to keep you all on your toes.
There’s still SEGA!

By the way, does anyone else own (or at least have heard) the Sonic the Hedgehog remix CD? It contains 8 remixes of Sonic CD, four of which are a bit more grating, and four of which are absolutely brilliant—a completely redone and rewritten remix Cosmic Eternity sung by someone whom I believe to be the singer of the Burning Rangers theme, DAYTONAAAA LET’S GO AWAY, and a very calm and soothing rearrangement of Quartz Quadrant Good Future, another in a similar vein of of Little Planet, and last btu not least an incredibly rad vocal remix of… I don’t even know; some say Stardust Speedway. But even if the original song is hardly recognisable, it stands on tis own so damn well I couldn’t care less! That, and the cover artwork is just a prime example of what used to be so cool about Sonic’s design.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I'm surprised he got banned. I thought he had done a really good job of toning it down for the past couple of seasons and had been successfully rehabilitated into a respectable member of this forum. In as far as antagonists go, we'll have no short supply of bickering and dissenting opinions without him so don't fret.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Ritz wrote:silently disabling an account and pruning the offending posts
Have you... never visited another message board on the entire internet, ever? That's how it's normally done.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

There's dafter ways to be kicked off a forum. I was banned from one a couple months back for - and I quote - 'Having a pretencious[sic] website'.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I thought he had done a really good job of toning it down for the past couple of seasons
It turns out at least some of his seeming to have "toned it down" (I noticed it too) is because of those disappearing posts cjmcray was mentioning.
By the way, does anyone else own (or at least have heard) the Sonic the Hedgehog remix CD?
I also have this CD (a lucky find in Japan, but I had a burned copy someone gave me for quite a bit longer). I think a couple songs on it are original, like the vocal one you mentioned. I love the entire thing, the medleys of various Sonic CD tracks especially (I suspect they are the ones you find grating), for the same reasons I like those certain mixed-up tracks in this OCR one, where it switches from one song to another and it kind of "teases" at me while I figure out what it switched to. Obviously that's not your favorite quality, but anyway..

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Delphine wrote:Have you... never visited another message board on the entire internet, ever? That's how it's normally done.
No, posts are relocated to a publically viewable Shame Receptacle so no context or drama nectar slips through the cracks, and when a person is banned, it's always made abundantly clear in some form. Here, it's like the plan was for us to not notice a member with 1,000+ posts had gone missing until several months after the fact. But hey, it's not like I prefer this forum over others for a reason or anything.

So, Sonic CD remix album! Snatched it up years ago and only really cared for three or four tracks. Gave it another listen just a few months ago and now that one unidentifiable vocal tune is the only track I'm not plumb gay for. Mitsuyoshi's Cosmic Eternity cover hit me like a brick- all at once, I had a consummate realization of everything that made Sonic so perfect for me in that era. I imagine it's an experience not dissimilar to those LSD epiphanies that people walk away from with a totally warped lifelong sense of enlightenment because they tripped too hard for too long, just once. From the music, art direction and representation of the characters, SCD just had this breathtaking clarity of vision and the most sophisticated aesthetic of any game I've yet encountered, and the album just took that vibe and amplified it, y'know? Most of it carried on through Chaotix, but I wish more than anything the series had continued down that road.

It was GOOD SHIT man

Neo

Post by Neo »

Delphine wrote:Have you... never visited another message board on the entire internet, ever? That's how it's normally done.
Oh so NOW we're trying to conform to the laws of what's right and what wrong as imposed by society? Way to be a feminist, Del :7

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

I think you people like it when I make disparaging remarks about your intelligence.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Ritz wrote:
No, posts are relocated to a publically viewable Shame Receptacle so no context or drama nectar slips through the cracks, and when a person is banned, it's always made abundantly clear in some form. Here, it's like the plan was for us to not notice a member with 1,000+ posts had gone missing until several months after the fact.
I'm really curious to know what was the straw that broke the camel's back? Was it something you ("you" being whoever it was that banned him) were just meaning to do? Was it that you were waiting however long to finally say, "Yeah, I've given him his chance"? Was it that he didn't give in this time when you waved the finger in his face?

You should make an example out of him, not hide it.

I'll miss him. He was one of those people you wouldn't really want to talk to in real life, but was mildly entertaining through the distancing internet. And he did give some good perspective every so often. And every once in a while I would actually laugh at something he posted.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

You should make an example out of him, not hide it.
I'd like to think that we're such a generally amiable lot (even if we do hate everything) that there isn't anyone here who'd benefit from such an example.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Was it something you ("you" being whoever it was that banned him) were just meaning to do? Was it that you were waiting however long to finally say, "Yeah, I've given him his chance"?
That's it exactly. He did occasionally have something worthwhile to bring to the table which is why it took so long to boot him, but it also made it that much more aggravating that he insisted on being a dickhead the rest of the time. I never warned him outright because I'm not his parent and he knew he was being a pain in the ass, possibly under the mistaken impression that it was funny. If it ever was, the joke got old years ago. I was hoping he'd take the hint when I started deleting his schtick, but it seems to have just goaded him to be even more obnoxious.

I only banned the username. I think he can come back with a different name, in case he ever wants to take a shot at not being a cock mongrel.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Kogen wrote:[03:58] <YarfyFox> It is OK
[03:58] <YarfyFox> GG! will be dead before the age of 50 due to radiation
So no hard feelings, I guess!

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Yeeouch.
Farmer wrote:There's dafter ways to be kicked off a forum. I was banned from one a couple months back for - and I quote - 'Having a pretencious[sic] website'.
Ok, now I want to ask you to elaborate. What forum it was, and how pretenCious was your website?