Vault + Slam + diamond polish + ??? =...

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Vault + Slam + diamond polish + ??? =...

Post by FlashTHD »

http://www.bombergames.net/sorr_project/

Over 4 years after the previous (incomplete, buggy) release, and after a lot of tense silence during bugtesting, they've just cut loose the final version. If one read of the features list on that blog post does not have you drooling... well, I question whether you're really human, but either dig through the blog archives and/or watch some in-development clips. It's a big download but holy hell, it looks more than worth it. There will also soon be ports for Linux, GP2X Wiz, and Wii.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Re: Vault + Slam + diamond polish + ??? =...

Post by FlashTHD »

ffffff. The download links got "temporarily" taken down (though they still work, if you can find them on major filesharing sites; look for "SoRRv5.zip") due to some sort of legal inquiry by Sega. Concerning to say the least, because as far as I know they already had an understanding with Sega, years ago, that lawyers wouldn't try to shut them down as long as it was not sold for profit, which it isn't and never will be.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Is the leather daddy and the kangaroo playable? That's all I care about.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

His name is Ash and he is respectable young man.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Copyright's a bitch like that. An "understanding" that took place "years ago" doesn't really cut it. It mystifies me why very talented people make stupid decisions, like stealing a title owned by a company that can only survive by re-releasing its heritage.

Why not make an original game? Then, not only do you not have to worry about having it taken down, you can actually sell it. (See also: Sonic Robo Blast 2)

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

What I have always found odd was the apparent disinterest publishers and unofficial developers have with working together.

If a team of people want to make a Streets of Rage game (or any other popular property), why not pitch it as an actual game to be released? They have the online hype and fan base already, and I am absolutely certain people would pay ten dollars for this. Instead they waste eight years of work while SEGA's lawyers or whomever just take a dumb on SEGA's fan base, most likely because these people do not even know anything about the company they work for.

Overall they both just end up losing. I am not sure what the point of that is.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I would say kudos to them for getting Sega's attention though. Sega certainly turns a blind eye to all those Sonic fangames, and that franchise isn't dead! I wonder what turned them on to this one?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

They've probably got Dimps working on Streets of Rage 4.

Thumbs up on the Remake! It's an unashamed love letter to the series; crammed with extras, multiple paths, special effects, options out the arsehole, sealed with a loving kiss. Mad props to the hammy SoR3-style cutscenes, although that hand-drawn artwork is delightful too. Oh, and you can't fault the NEXXXGEN remixed soundtrack, still acid house as ever. If this had online multiplayer I would pay them at least thirty pounds. Superb effort all round. SEGA missed a trick with this one.

BUT WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I PLAY AS ROO

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

j-man wrote:BUT WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I PLAY AS ROO
Unlockable in the shop, assuming you can endure the rather unbalanced difficulty and beat the game enough times to have the money to get him with x_x

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Kogen wrote:What I have always found odd was the apparent disinterest publishers and unofficial developers have with working together.
There's a lot of reasons why they wouldn't want to work with each other. From the fangame developer's view, they'd have to fallow Sega's rules - how long development is allowed to last (Sega probably wouldn't let it last as long as it did for this), how it's distributed, how it was focus tested ("Polygonal graphics are more popular than sprites, let's us them instead!"), other little things about the design, etc. Not being tied to Sega provides freedom. They can make the game that they want to make, instead of making something Sega thinks will sell. And they don't want to be paid to do this kind of work. They do this for fun in their free time. It's fairly well psychologically accepted that you enjoy your work less as you get paid more (although it may make other parts of your life easier).

Even if one of these fan developers wanted Sega to distribute their game at the end of development, Sega probably wouldn't want to. They have their release list planned out well in advance, finding the best times when to release a game - when is the competition releasing other popular games, what is the demographic, what other non-game things could interrupt sales for this demographic, are Sega's own games overlapping in appeal within a close time frame (a good example of this is when Nintendo released DKCR and Epic Yarn fairly close to each other), etc. Sega also doesn't want to encourage teams to just start doing things with their properties without permission in fear that it could be mistaken as Sega's doing and decrease their goodwill.

I'm not saying I agree with these perspectives, but these are some reasons I'd guess they don't want to work together.

But I think the real reason Sega is doing anything with this is that this team is accepting donations.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:But I think the real reason Sega is doing anything with this is that this team is accepting donations.
Yes, for the server bill. But that might have been it seeing as the Paypal button has just been taken down.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:It's fairly well psychologically accepted that you enjoy your work less as you get paid more (although it may make other parts of your life easier).
I would take this claim with a small pinch of salt. What you have is a pair of macro-scale evaluations (salary and "enjoyment") and the discovery that, actually, a simplistic analysis (people with more money ought to be happier/more motivated) might not tell the entire story. Probably the wrong conclusion to draw is that the relationship is causal in the other direction, at least not without a long list of caveats.

But yeah, who would want to work for SEGA at this point? SEGA really ought to be begging them to join, but I doubt it'll ever happen; they're a dinosaur of a company. I was more thinking of making their own indie studio, although that has all its own hurdles...

j-man

Post by j-man »

FlashTHD wrote:
j-man wrote:BUT WHY THE FUCK CAN'T I PLAY AS ROO
Unlockable in the shop, assuming you can endure the rather unbalanced difficulty and beat the game enough times to have the money to get him with x_x
Ah yes, I saw that on the forums after much snooping around. Ditto on the difficulty, man. I have it on Easy with 5 lives and I still couldn't beat the damn thing. You know that three-punch-combo knockdown that the hoods occasionally used to pull on you? Every single time they hit you. Every single time. I'm chewing ass and kicking bubblegum, and then I get the shit kicked out of me by a fucking Galsia. One dude punched me straight down a hole. One dude killed me in three hits. Those SoR1 fat fucks that breathe fire, the ones you can't suplex? FFFFFFFFFF THEY NEVER EVER STOP MOVING

This fucking game, man. It's like being kicked in the nuts by a supermodel in a Princess Peach outfit.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

j-man wrote:Those SoR1 fat fucks that breathe fire, the ones you can't suplex? FFFFFFFFFF THEY NEVER EVER STOP MOVING
I don't know if this works in the remix, but in SoR1 you can grab one from the front, do two knee attacks, then press back and then forward to let go and quickly grab him again before he has time to do anything. You can repeat it until he dies or another enemy interferes. It's super cheap but for some reason I don't feel even the slightest bit guilty about doing it. I wonder why that is?

For some reason I do not mind at all about content being unlocked in an original game that I paid for (in fact I like that sort of thing a lot!), but when it's content like that in a fan-game, where the content doesn't even really belong to the makers, it offends me a little that a character like Roo would be locked up. Wasn't he just accessed by a code before?

j-man

Post by j-man »

Yeah, after you beat him in SoR3 you just hold Special and you can play as him next round. Works the same way for Shiva.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

j-man wrote:You know that three-punch-combo knockdown that the hoods occasionally used to pull on you? Every single time they hit you. Every single time. I'm chewing ass and kicking bubblegum, and then I get the shit kicked out of me by a fucking Galsia. One dude punched me straight down a hole. One dude killed me in three hits.
The SOR1 Galsias could actually do that you in the original, but yeah, in the SOR2/3 mechanics it's ridiculous how long they keep you in stunlock. The only way out of it is to do a special.

Fat Burger/Humphery are pretty simple to thrash once the minions are gone. Anticipate where they will run, get behind them, smack 'em a few times, then grab them (when they're facing toward you!) and just keep mashing B. Then get away when they fall down and repeat. If you're too slow, they'll elbow drop their fat asses on you. Also, it's easy to forget you have it (due to the silly HUD), but call in da choppa.