Archie Sonic Reboot

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Archie Sonic Reboot

Post by Senbei »

This is curious. After the 225th issue, Archise Sonic will be running a rebooted storyline seemingly based more on the Genesis games. It's titled, of course, Sonic: Genesis. It's only four issues long, so it's not a major change. Article here.

I'm long out of reading the comics, and I won't be going back, but I did think this was, ahem, way past cool:

Spaz will be doing the interior art. Boy, this brings back memories!

cjmcray

Re: Archie Sonic Reboot

Post by cjmcray »

Wait.. what's the point in rebooting it if the change is only going to last four issues? And if they're trying to make this reboot more in line with the games, then what is Princess Sally doing there?

Doesn't matter how many lampposts or checkered backgrounds they draw, characters like Princess Sally and Antoine will always look out of place next to Sonic.

Neo

Post by Neo »

And the loop in the background is already wrong!

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I dunno, I think its pretty charming that sonic saves sally + co from a prison capsule. By the looks of things this may be the first time they meet too.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Pssst!

That walrus is gay.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Love the art, especially the covers (can't imagine how a Sonic & Knuckles homage will work though). I wish Sega would go back to that design for Tails.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

They're just doing this to remind us it doesn't have to be that way. Nice troll, Archie.

I didn't just pull a Dasher, did I?

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Two words: Green. Eyes.

Now seriously, I came to the conclusion there's no way to make the Sonic universe work in a stable, long-running comic series, or an animated series or whatever. The games' plots are barely enough for OVAs or one-shots and stuff.

They could hire, I don't know, Kazuyuki Hoshino himself to illustrate this reboot, but there's no way of making it last for longer than a couple issues without veering off course eventually.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

From my experience with Archie fans, they do not even play the games. It seems like two rather dislocated fan bases.

I would go on about not knowing what a Julie-su is and comparing it to anal warts, but I am sure we all know. The only good thing they do is the occasional classic cover art.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I think the only reason they're using the term "reboot" is so people will pay attention. I like the idea, either way and I'm actually kind of excited about it. Didn't they already do an adaptation of Sonic 1 sort of recently, though?
Radrappy wrote:I dunno, I think its pretty charming that sonic saves sally + co from a prison capsule. By the looks of things this may be the first time they meet too.
I agree, but I'm also kind of split on it--there's something disturbing to me about them being in there, like the mix of them with the smaller "friend" characters (do the Archie comics even have non-anthro animals in them?) clashes with what I feel to be "right." I suppose that just goes with the Archie territory, it's been a long time since I expected anything to feel properly "Sonicky" from them.

I appreciate what Spaz is going for here with Tails but it's a nuanced look. Look at Tails' head! Really, look at it! It's a god damn balloon! I know he's some kind of genius but his melon looks ready to pop in this one.

Too much? But you get what I mean?

Also, it looks less like his tails are helicoptering and more like he's falling out of some kind of space portal. I didn't mean to pick nits on an Archie book (seems like a pointless endeavor), but apparently I just can't help myself..

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

but he's supposed to save them from pinball capsules or something

Man, I remember back in the day when I would get all excited because Spaz was doing the interior art. Now I just wonder why he hasn't moved on to work with a decent comics company. Or does he get around? I can't be bothered to google.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

It's not so much the head size that bothers me with the above image, but Tails' kinda strange looking mouth.
Also, good to see the return of Robotnik crushing the number two in the background. Always liked the box/cartridge art from Sonic 2.

CM August

Post by CM August »

I guess the only mystery is why they didn't pull this sooner. Now the raw narrative power of the games can be explored in full!

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

I really like they are doing. Merging the classic few games and including the archi cast, if not in small roles, really pushing the nostalgic button for me.

However, I'm vastly disappointed at some of the character design choices. I really dislike how they, again, try and emulate the classic feel but totally modernize the charters. The modern Eggman just look so foreign, especially beside classic characters and environments. It really takes away the throw back punch they are trying to achieve. Sonic 4 did this aswell. I feel as if someone is making developers/cartoonists come to some sort of compromise.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Someone is. That someone is SEGA.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It might not be even especially intentional. I'm just speculating, but I assume the Archie staff interact primarily with representatives from Sega's marketing/licensee department... like, the same people who make sure Sonic looks right on a McDonalds toy or a can of Sonic-branded ravioli. Their job is primarily to be to make sure any licensed representations of the characters are accurate and follow the official style guide. They probably don't have the authority to grant permission to deviate from them, even if they wanted to, and even if no one at the top of the chain would really care... because that would be like the exact opposite of what they are hired to do!

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

Unless each issue is about a corresponding Zone, this will suck.

Also, Sally & Rotor & Co. were in Sonic Spinball so they are canon. ( ← am I doing this right?)

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

(No Imagination) wrote:Also, Sally & Rotor & Co. were in Sonic Spinball so they are canon.
"Where!?" I ask, having never really gotten into Spinball.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I thought Spinball was a tie-in game specifically set in the SatAm continuity, much like how Mean Bean Machine was a tie-in to AoStH.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Esrever wrote:It might not be even especially intentional. I'm just speculating, but I assume the Archie staff interact primarily with representatives from Sega's marketing/licensee department... like, the same people who make sure Sonic looks right on a McDonalds toy or a can of Sonic-branded ravioli. Their job is primarily to be to make sure any licensed representations of the characters are accurate and follow the official style guide. They probably don't have the authority to grant permission to deviate from them, even if they wanted to, and even if no one at the top of the chain would really care... because that would be like the exact opposite of what they are hired to do!

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

No one ever said they had a history of being good at it.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

(No Imagination) wrote:Also, Sally & Rotor & Co. were in Sonic Spinball so they are canon. ( ← am I doing this right?)
After giving this some thought I have decided it does not make them canon. They only appear on a regular pinball machine played by Sonic himself, so at most, they "exist" in some capacity, but possibly only as fictional characters even within Sonic's own fictional world! Tails also appears in these stages, but he also appears at the end whether you rescue him or not, suggesting that these bonus stages are bonus only and the tiny characters rescued from the board do not actually correspond to any of Sonic's "real" friends.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

G.Silver wrote: After giving this some thought I have decided it does not make them canon.
You all heard the man.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

Esrever wrote:I assume the Archie staff interact primarily with representatives from Sega's marketing/licensee department... like, the same people who make sure Sonic looks right on a McDonalds toy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7Q0_DgXHG0

Those people need to be fired.