Archie Sonic Reboot

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
cjmcray

Re: Archie Sonic Reboot

Post by cjmcray »

Are Bean and Bark even canon? They only appeared in Sonic the Fighters, which was developed by AM2, not Sonic Team.

Pretty much none of the characters in that list of yours would work as lead villains (After the trainwrecks that were Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic2k6, nobody wants to see Black Doom or Mephiles return..)

I'd love to see Fang return though. I find him much more interesting than the overrated Metal Sonic.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The bounty hunter with his own self-serving agenda is such a fun and well-established character trope... it makes me feel like I know and love Fang's personality, despite the fact that it was never really actually depicted anywhere.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Man, no kidding. It'd be nice to have a character like that nowadays, especially after Wario degenerated into lol fart jokes.

Battle Kukku would be great as well, but part of me wants them to remain Tails' nemesi, even if a Tails Adventures 2 seems unlikely. (Maybe its impending VC sales may cause Sega to change its mind)

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:(Maybe its impending VC sales may cause Sega to change its mind)
I am sorry, you seem to be confused. NuSega™ does not comprehend the concept of "fun" as it is not affordable enough.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Tails Adventures 2 - Episode I [New Play Controls!] New features include a homing laser and the inability to fly correctly. Also just 4 levels and two of them are motion only.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I didn't say that it would be good. C'mon guys, aren't we at the point where that's implicit?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:I didn't say that it would be good. C'mon guys, aren't we at the point where that's implicit?
Like it's not implicit to want good games at the same time?

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Tails Adventure would've been the perfect candidate for a 3D sequel. Probably would've worked even better in 3D than a normal Sonic game would.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

On the subject of Archie, they did do a comic series (4 comics) on Tails Adventures recently. It was actually quite well done and followed the plot and art style well. Although as usual they felt the need to force their own story in, ending up with an awkward love story between the redneck cyborg rabbit and the gay French Coyote.

This would have been the only comic mini-series I ever saw from them that would have interested me if not for the furry love fanfiction. With that in mind, anything they do is surely going to be repulsive like this, even if it follows the game plots nearly perfectly and better than SEGA does now.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

And once again Kogen demonstrates his remarkable ability to find a reason to dislike everything.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

Stop talking about Tails Adventures 2, you guys! On top of that, entertaining the notion that this hypothetical, nevergoingtohappen game might actually end up being better than recent entries in the series is just making it worse :'(

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

There is always a chance. Back when they had that poll that led to Shadow the Hedgehog, they were suggesting a title called 'Tails and the Magical Machine' or something like that. Oh boy!

But to be more serious: as far as I know, the developers who made the first game still work with SEGA. They made the newest port/enhanced version of SEGA Bass Fishing on Wii, then ported it to other consoles just recently. They must be bored of doing fishing games for a decade (I think they do another series called Reel Deal Fishing).

Then there is that image of Tails Adventures floating around in the background of the 20th Anniversary image, and it is the there twice. They would not put it there twice for no reason!

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

I'd like to see a return of the Battle Kukku Army. They were apparently planned for Sonic The Comic (the Fleetway one) before it went full reprint.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

That model for Sonic looks really nice! Sort of reminds me of the artwork for Sonic Jam, with a bit of CD and OVA Sonic mixed in. Maybe that's just how the artist (is it Spaz or Yardley? I can't read the text) always draws him these days, though, it's been ages since I saw any artwork from the comic.

It seems the plot conceit is that Sonic is now the protagonist of Momento.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

It looks like Spaz is doing breakdowns (rough layouts of the panels and character positions, like he did for the NiGHTS comics) and Yardley is doing the final pencils. Looks good!

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

The scene with Sonic smugly keeping the Motobug at bay with his feet while sarcastically musing about it before simply trashing it is brilliant! This is exactly how Sonic should be portrayed (just with a bit less monologues, perhaps)!

Neo

Post by Neo »

P.P.A. wrote:The scene with Sonic smugly keeping the Motobug at bay with his feet while sarcastically musing about it before simply trashing it is brilliant! This is exactly how Sonic should be portrayed (just with a bit less monologues, perhaps)!
It's very reminiscent of the Fleetway Sonic comics -- the first few, anyway.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Geez, I want one. They certainly managed to make the motobugs adorable (even with the "less cute" Sonic 4 design). They're a lot smaller than they were in the game, or Sonic is a lot bigger.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Did anyone else pick this up?

I am sort of interested to see where it goes, though I have a feeling it's not going to actually change anything and things will go back to normal once they're done running through a few classic games. You can tell from the previews, but they're handling the settings nicely (the background detail never drops in quality), and really doing a great job incorporating in-game elements into places that seem more "real," and linking them together in a way that makes sense from a story perspective. If I'd read this when I was 12 (and not the comic they actually made) I probably would have freaked out. The last panel has them entering Labyrinth Zone, and I'm really kind of excited to see the next issue.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

G.Silver wrote:Did anyone else pick this up?
Well, I read it. And I really enjoyed it, even though it's rushing through Sonic 1 a bit... I definitely would've preferred to see Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 as two separate three issue story arcs, but I guess they can only expect longtime fans of the comic to only be so patient. In any case, this is the first time I've been excited about the comic since WB started doing some of the art a few years back!

On the contrary, I do think this is still something of a reboot, although we won't really know for sure until StH 230. I'm expecting that instead of all memories being restored, we'll just see the important things sporadiacally remembered, and unnecessary things conveniently forgotten. The Genesis arc is supposed to affect the main storyline for about a year, which hopefully means that certain characters will be reintroduced from scratch entirely. Knuckles badly needs this.

StH 226 may have some hints about how things will change. Antoine's last name was changed from "D'Coolette" to the much less silly "Depardieu," which was his name in the old Saturday morning cartoon. Sally also introduces herself as "Sally Acorn" rather than "Princess Sally Acorn," which I'm hoping means that the entire monarchy angle will just disappear. Also interesting was that the word "Mobius" was never uttered once... could references to the planet it's set on be kept ambiguous from now on? I'm sure I'll be disappointed by developments in the future issues, but I'm also expecting more pleasant surprises.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I was thinking since Sonic seems to be just on the edge of remembering that this isn't really the world he's been in for 200+ issues, there's a chance that he'll somehow manage to restore it, too. But I didn't spot those changes as something that could be a setup for bigger changes later, so yeah, maybe! I didn't even notice Antoine's last name changing!

Two issues is more than Sonic 1 got last time, I recall, didn't they do one where they did a weird 4th wall-breaking run through the entire game in one issue a while back?

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

G.Silver wrote:I was thinking since Sonic seems to be just on the edge of remembering that this isn't really the world he's been in for 200+ issues, there's a chance that he'll somehow manage to restore it, too. But I didn't spot those changes as something that could be a setup for bigger changes later, so yeah, maybe! I didn't even notice Antoine's last name changing!

Two issues is more than Sonic 1 got last time, I recall, didn't they do one where they did a weird 4th wall-breaking run through the entire game in one issue a while back?
I can understand them leaving the possibility open for the old universe to comeback. I think they're trying to get video game Sonic fans into the comics while keeping the satam fans that kept the comics alive for close to two decades. If they can revert back to the old universe while keeping some new fans, mission accomplished.

Pepperidge
Drano Master

Post by Pepperidge »

Malchik wrote:
G.Silver wrote:I was thinking since Sonic seems to be just on the edge of remembering that this isn't really the world he's been in for 200+ issues, there's a chance that he'll somehow manage to restore it, too. But I didn't spot those changes as something that could be a setup for bigger changes later, so yeah, maybe! I didn't even notice Antoine's last name changing!

I can understand them leaving the possibility open for the old universe to comeback. I think they're trying to get video game Sonic fans into the comics while keeping the satam fans that kept the comics alive for close to two decades. If they can revert back to the old universe while keeping some new fans, mission accomplished.
I don't think the world has objectively changed, just the characters' perception of it. People seem to talk about the "old universe" coming back, which I don't think is the right way of looking at it, since these comics haven't really had an established status quo of any kind since about issue 50. The same thing can be said about the games, really, and if things are shaken around just right, the differences between the two may not seem as drastic as they once did.

Whatever goes down, I just hope that the characters' parents (virtually all of whom were created by Ken Penders) just vanish and are never heard from again. That might not go over well with the longtime fans, though; a lot of people really seem to think that Sonic is better with his mom and dad around.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Even if they don't bring back the Ken Penders characters, they will have to significantly deviate from the Sega universe because, let's face it, every character from the games are boring and are as dimensional as a coaster. We'll still see an eventual new cast of furries as time moves on and the comics will again turn into a universe much different than Sega's one dimensional story lines.