Massive tsunami hits Japan (JARED MATTE MEMORIAL THREAD,RIP)

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Re: Massive tsunami hits Japan

Post by FlashTHD »

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nuclear ... 6020272820

Now, i'm no geologist, but one of the things I would like to know is what possesses a country that is practically sitting on a fault line to build nuclear power plants toward the coast nearest said fault line. (Then again, California has one of these, so.)

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

I heard that one part of a reactor has exploded already at some facility.

…the thought that instantly struck me was that this whole scenario really is exactly like Godzilla. An unstoppable force emerging from the seas not far off the Japanese coast, advancing on the island, laying to waste any cities along its path, and practically a walking nuclear catastrophe.
Have all these films gone to naught? They were originally a warning to humankind not to mess with the forces of nature and to remember the dangers of nuclear technology. …and yet, as mentioned above, they’re building nuclear reactors right at the coast not far away from some of the most heavily populated cities in the world.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

The Government wrote:Again there is not going to be a Chernobyl-type event you silly babies. Any radiation leakage is occurring inside the containment building. It would take a ridiculous amount of heat and pressure for the containment to fail. In the worst case, they can always sacrifice the reactors and seal the whole thing away for good.

If that thing blows I'll have Tweaker ban me or something. That's how sure I am. This hysteria annoys me greatly because it's only adding to the ill-informed NIMBY attitude in America regarding nuclear power when the burning of oil and coal releases far more terrible shit every single day.
Latest I've heard is that Fukushima's generator had its pressure successfully released.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

The BBC is updating on the nuclear situation throughout the day. Jesus Christ, death tolls are up to an estimated 1300 from about 30 last night (GMT). I do hope GG! is alright.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

P.P.A. wrote:…the thought that instantly struck me was that this whole scenario really is exactly like Godzilla. An unstoppable force emerging from the seas not far off the Japanese coast, advancing on the island, laying to waste any cities along its path, and practically a walking nuclear catastrophe.
Have all these films gone to naught? They were originally a warning to humankind not to mess with the forces of nature and to remember the dangers of nuclear technology. …and yet, as mentioned above, they’re building nuclear reactors right at the coast not far away from some of the most heavily populated cities in the world.
Japan has had to suffer through a disproportionate number of disasters, from Tokyo's (the biggest urban area in the world) position on a fault line to being the only country to have ever been targeted by a nuclear attack. I've always assumed their penchant for disaster stories (Godzilla and Evangelion are the ones which spring to mind) was a product of their vulnerability.

As for the nuclear reactor situation; I used to think nuclear power was safe and that any opposition to it was just anti-science. In the past year or so my opinion has changed after actually talking to academics in the field. Events like this should be a lesson on how fundamentally unsafe nuclear power is and how easy it is for safety protocol to undone with the combined power of human incompetence (building that motherfucker next to the ocean) and unforeseen circumstances (an 8.9 magnitude earthquake). Especially when a government is as secretive about their nuclear program as Japan.

Currently, the BBC headline suggests that "a nuclear meltdown is feared", which could mean literally anything.

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

BBC wrote:a nuclear meltdown is feared
A nuclear meltdown has been feared since the middle of the 20th century, what's their point?
The problem with those movies was - they weren't really a warning, but much rather entertainment. Something that goes away once one leaves the theater, and all that. Oh look, in the next movie, Godzilla will fight a huge moth in a densely-populated area. That very image raises fear and concern for the safety and responsibilities of all the people getting crushed under gigantic dinosaur feet, right..?

...heck no. In the end, it's going to be perceived as a giant monster movie.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Well… true. The very first film was intended to be a warning though, and much more than the others presented Godzilla as a force of nature, caused by human negligence and ultimately an innocent consequence of our own actions. I’ll admit that afterwards it just became awesome monster vs monster battles, though. >_>

Anyway, I’m going to start chanting Mothra’s song now just in case.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Incidentally, Gibbon said a couple of times that he lived somewhere around Morioka in Iwate. It's pretty well inland (50km at least) and I can't find anything that suggests that the area was hit especially hard (yet), so he should be alright if he was around there.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

I talked to his brother and he confirmed that he lives near Mt. Iwate, which is considerably far inland, just west of Morioka.

Larger

He said he'll let me know what's going on as soon as he hears anything, although I'd imagine that he'd check in here soon after he would at home.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Well, that is much more positive news. He's probably having trouble finding access to a phone in the mess of things.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

If he lived through this i'm sure he'll not let us live unscathed for trying to isolate the location of his mountain fortress :p

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Good to hear that, it's a relief.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

FlashTHD wrote:If he lived through this i'm sure he'll not let us live unscathed for trying to isolate the location of his flying castle :p
Fixed.
And yeah, those are good news... the only thing we can do now is wait.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

He lives to scoff another day.
Update: We got a text from Jared not 10 minutes ago. He just got power back, and texted us to verify he's alive.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Oh man, what a relief!

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Quick! Hide the thread!

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Crisis wrote:Quick! Hide the thread!
Haha, yeah, or else it's gonna be very embarrassing!

Awesome news Spazz, thank you very much.

EDIT: キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ッ!!!!

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Well the cereal industry can breath a sigh of relief.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

FlashTHD wrote:If he lived through this i'm sure he'll not let us live unscathed for trying to isolate the location of his mountain fortress :p
you guys YOU GUYS we completely forgot about Passepartout

DOES HE LIVE

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

Spazz wrote:He lives to scoff another day.
Wonderful news!

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Re: Massive tsunami hits Japan (JARED MATTE MEMORIAL THREAD,

Post by Cuckooguy »

I admit that I'm relieved.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Haha, that thread title change is horrible. Good show.

Here's hoping for a return to normalcy over there ASAP.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Holy crap, talk about darkly humorous.

And the good news are now great news. How many times has he escaped death, anyway?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

You cunts, I nearly threw up reading that title.