Barney! My Pebbles!

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Re: Barney! My Pebbles!

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Haha, me too. Though I'm not sure if I've have a thing with mayonnaise per se and not its chemical substitute Miracle Whip. *gag gag gag*

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Oh man, I should try making my own mayonnaise again. I did it years ago and it was fucking delicious.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I love sashimi, but only when someone else is paying for it.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

Yo Sushi! here in Liverpool is a particular haunt of mine when I'm made entirely of money.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Green Gibbon! wrote:I'm kind of curious to know how many sushi/sashimi eaters we've got here.
I dig sashimi, but I save it for special occasions. Sea bream is far and away my favorite, but tuna isn't bad. I've stopped eating grocery store sushi in the past year or so because it's just not very good.

The real tragedy is that ramen has never caught on in the U.S. I would kill for a bowl of Hakata ramen right now. Or any time, really.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I've been doing some research on Pebbles and it looks like GG!'s worst fears have been realised. I have a box incoming anyways.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Sushi/sashimi is overrated and way too expensive. I only eat it once in a rare while and still feel hungry after spending like $50.

I'd totally try horse meat if I ever had an opportunity to eat it. Same goes for pretty much any other animal, too. Why the hell not. Meat is delicious.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Hmmm, you just reminded me (for some reason) that I may have had crocodile and kangaroo in the past as well. It was when I was pretty young, so I don't remember specifics of how they tasted. I think I enjoyed them more than the horse, though.

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

Segaholic2 wrote:Sushi/sashimi is overrated and way too expensive. I only eat it once in a rare while and still feel hungry after spending like $50.

I'd totally try horse meat if I ever had an opportunity to eat it. Same goes for pretty much any other animal, too. Why the hell not. Meat is delicious.
You probably wouldn't get very far trying to actually eat horse meat (unless young or cured for an extended period it usually has all the texture and finesse of rubber). But it releases most of its yummy stuff in a sauce when cooked long enough, and that sauce can be eaten with some black bread or macaroni or something. It tastes like cow.

Speaking of which, I've had the pleasure of cooking deer the other day. I've cooked the steaks up for 5 straight hours until all 4 added liters of rooibos tea evaporated, resulting in a highly metallic and meaty dish. It tasted extremely...wild and bloody. Vampires would probably be all over that stuff...however, the deer steak itself was soft, and it's the first (and so far the only) time I've managed to pull that off.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

From the redneck of the north, deer meat advice!

If you hunted the bugger down, you MUST hang it for at least 5 days, preferably if the conditions are right shoot for 7-10. Just like beef it needs to be aged, not doing so will result in overly gamey and very tough meat. If you were given the meat, or bought it, I would suggest either letting it set in the fridge a day or two, or if it makes you squeamish then at least let it come to room temperature before cooking/grilling. Good tenderizers include papaya, a mallet, wine, vinegar, etc. Also over cooking will usually ruin it, Shoot for medium rare in a cast iron skillet or on the grill, or broil it for steaks I think something like 7 minutes per side?. Roasts are of course a different ball game when it comes to time of cooking, but all other rules still apply.

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

Thinking back, I guess should've let it sit around room temperature a while longer. I've got a bunch of this stuff in the fridge, see - my sister's brother-in-law is a professional game hunter (or, rather, a "ranger" as he claims) and he'd handed out a couple of bags, deep frozen and cleaned and stuff. Though I have a sneaky suspicion it's really an aged, trophy deer and wasn't ever intended to be eaten, just meant for soup or goulasch of some sort.

Even still, that won't ever stop me from working out my game preparing skills. Thanks for the advice ... I'll try avocado or pineapple to tenderize it next time. >_>

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Well salami is suposed to be done by horse meat and donkey meat...

And in times where armies still used horses, is was not strange from them to eat the dead horses...

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I'd totally try horse meat if I ever had an opportunity to eat it.
I would try it. But not raw.

Spazz

Post by Spazz »

I like sushi, but the area I live in is kind of overrun with sushi places so it's hard to find good sushi without going to a formal restaurant. The best you can typically get is the kind from the local grocer's deli, which usually have interesting unique combinations like a "cajun roll" or "Metairie roll" as well as a few others that are probably just copycat recipies. You can stock up on free chopsticks, too.

Oh, I finally got to try Cupcake Pebbles sometime last year, I thought I was eating vanilla Rice Krispies. Although I haven't had any bad experiences with Fruity Pebbles lately.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I've been eating Fruity Pebbles for about 2 days now. Man, I can't make up my mind. I want to like them. I think I like them. I keep reaching for another bowl. But something isn't quite clicking. There's something foreign and artificial about it that doesn't bode well with my tastebuds.

I think I should have gone for the Cocoa flavour. That might have gone down better with my stunted British palate.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Crisis wrote:There's something foreign and artificial about it that doesn't bode well with my tastebuds.
I don't think you'd need to look at the ingredients list very long to take a guess at what that might be.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Hey now, don't dis the trisodium phosphate. Chemicals are delicious.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

"They're chemically delicious!"

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

Pah. The heavy metals are where the flavour is.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I think I've figured it out. It's like eating a bowl of jelly beans masquerading as cereal.

I'm starting to lean towards "dislike". It's a good thing I'm a glutton for punishment.

chriscaffee

Post by chriscaffee »

Despite my best efforts I somehow ended up in Japan for the second time in life, this time for "only" 20 months. There isn't that much to do in Sasebo for a guy like me... except eat. I don't know what it is about Japan, but they have awesome Indian restaurants. There was one other place I would frequent as well: a sushi-go-round. At 100-120 yen a plate, I can't imagine eating $50 worth of the stuff, let alone still being hungry. Three thousand yen was probably the most I ever put down at that place and that included the nasty green tea tofu deserts. So yeah, I'll eat sushi.

I think the only thing I miss from being over there was the food. Now that the novelty of getting to eat American food that isn't McDonalds has worn off, I could really go for some sushi, or perhaps a Sasebo burger or some Ra-Ra-Ramen with two extra tamagos (the only Japanese word you need to know) for good measure.