So I finally caved

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

So I finally caved

Post by Radrappy »

and bought a ps3. I have dabbled in the realm of nintendo's low fidelity hardware for too long and have finally made the jump to HD "next gen" gaming. Now the question is, what do you guys recommend in terms of games? I already picked up Vanquish and Drake's Uncharted 2. Both are fun and worthwhile. Apart from those though, I'm not sure where to start.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Man, what is up with that misnomer? The second game doesn't even have Drake in the title and people still keep calling it that!

Demon's Souls is a really great, deep game that I'm glad to see got the attention it deserves. It's very hard, but not frustrating. Each enemy, even the lowliest grunts, has the potential to kill you in a few hits, making each encounter a battle for your life. You'll die a lot, but each time you do you'll learn and get better. Besides this, the game offers a plethora of weapons and fighting styles that change depending on the type of weapons, armor, and items you have equipped. Finding your own style of play is nearly as much fun as actually fighting shit.

Are you okay with games that have the numbers 4 or 5 as suffixes? Then Metal Gear Solid 4 is pretty good, if you enjoy its unique, detail-oriented style of stealth-action. Resident Evil 5 is a lot of fun if you like precision and tension in your gun-based games, and co-op's a great bonus.

I loved Fallout 3 so much, but I'm consistently surprised to hear people tell me they disliked it, so I'll try to restrain my enthusiasm. First off, the lonely dreariness of roaming a post-nuclear wasteland is kind of beautiful. Really, this was probably the main draw for me. Besides that, the memorable characters, locations, and quests make obvious why this game got so many "best writing" awards. Really, let me just link the fantastic trailer and let that speak for itself.

As for gameplay, you can choose how to approach many scenarios, whether through the many forms of combat (melee, the different types of firearms, grenades, mines), or by using skills to, for example, hack the guard-bots to attack their owners, or pick the locked door to sneak past an encounter altogether. There are hundreds and hundreds of characters with whom you can talk, and most of them have interesting things to say, if not explicit quests.

The game isn't without its flaws, of course. With the game as big as it is and with so many variables, sometimes a quest gets broken. The worst of it is that my copy would freeze on me occasionally, frequently enough to be frustrating. I believe this was a PS3-exclusive problem, but maybe it was fixed in the GOTY edition -- you might want to look into that. In my case, I loved the game so much I was willing to put up with it!

Some other quick ones: Brutal Legend is fun, but not very deep; Dead Space is Resident Evil 4 IN SPACE; Prince of Persia (the reboot one) is one really long, very pretty QTE; LBP is fun with friends or if you've got the time to build your own level.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Re: So I finally caved

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Little Big. I picked up the second one and though I haven't popped it in yet, I assume it's at least as good.

Other than that, yeah, Metal Gear. I think those are the only PS3 exclusives I'd go out of my way to grab. Street Fighter 4, Bayonetta, and Red Dead Redemption are also really good, though the latter two are supposedly graphically superior on the 360.

Also, check out Flower on PSN. With the one possible exception of Braid, it's my favorite DL game I think ever so far.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Little Big. I picked up the second one and though I haven't popped it in yet, I assume it's at least as good.
It's much, much better.

I've been playing Bayonetta recently, and can highly recommend it as long as you do not value your thumbs at all. They will bleed.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

I would really suggest avoiding Little Big Planet 1, and certainly play the demo of the second one before getting it.

For a game no one suggested, I thought Comet Crash on PSN was rather good. It is sort of a mixture between something like Starcraft (very basic) and a tower defence game. The only retail game I could mention is Yakuza 3 since I never actually completed any other retail games on the system.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Re:

Post by Delphine »

Senbei wrote:I believe this was a PS3-exclusive problem
Haha, no. The 360 and PC versions both had those problems. New Vegas is even WORSE, although they're fixing it faster.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Aside from Uncharted and LBP, I'd actually recommend Infamous. I expected it to be another painfully "gritty" generic urban open-world title, but was pleasantly surprised. He's no Sly, but Cole turns out to be a reasonably likable protagonist, and the story and art style is really more like comics like DMZ than games like GTA or Prototype.

Throw in a really entertaining array of abilities, plus the broadest and most enjoyable variety of missions I've seen in a sandbox game, and it all adds up to my favourite superhero game. (Sorry, Spider-man!)

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

I am countering the Infamous suggestion because it is boring and dull. It is just Spiderman with Spiderman not in it.

You can also get killed in seconds by old ladies smacking you with their purse or something. What a great super hero with amazing powers.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Listen, old ladies are pretty fucking dangerous, all right?

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

The best experiences I've had on PS3 have been Mirror's Edge and God of War Collection (although that's obviously for PS2 as well, so I'll spare writing about that).

If you like time attacks or speed platforming, Mirror's Edge is a fantastic. People who can't appreciate replay value will hate it for its short and difficult first play through. Learning different paths through each section to decrease your time is a lot of fun and there are online leaderboards with other player's ghosts available for download.

Scott Pilgrim and Braid are both good PSN games. Scott Pilgrim is an old school beat-em-up, following the story in the graphic novels. It has great music and art. It starts off really slow, but gets faster as you level up and learn how the game works. Braid is good, but watch your enthusiasm. It's very atmospheric and minimalistic and isn't everyone's thang. If solving a collection of Zelda-style puzzles in a 2d platformer with time manipulation interests you, go for it.

Remember to check to see if there's demos for games before you go and buy them. They can give you a good taste of what the game is like beforehand.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

Hey RR, why'd you decide to get a PS3 instead of a 360?

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Don't know how they stack up when compared to Bayonetta, but the Ninja Gaiden games are also really good 3D hack 'n slashers. Also SIXAXIS-powered boob physics control FTW.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

MiraiTails wrote:Hey RR, why'd you decide to get a PS3 instead of a 360?
Because he's a smart individual who makes well-informed decisions.

Bayonetta is worse on the PS3, but it is not unplayable by any stretch. RDR is pretty much identical on both platforms and I had no issues playing through it on the PS3. Fallout is a buggy piece of shit no matter what you play it on.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

I played both Bayonetta demos and I never noticed any differences. I think people are just being whiny queers about it.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

MiraiTails wrote:Hey RR, why'd you decide to get a PS3 instead of a 360?
For Uncharted 2. I could give you more reasons but they'd be lies.

good suggestions all around people. Now I have direction in my life.