SCEI's NGP (PSP2)

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Arcade

Re: SCEI's NGP (PSP2)

Post by Arcade »

I hardly touched by psp 200, if i buy a new portable console.. it will be in a few years, when I get tired of my DS games...

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Yesterday Sony announced a $250 price tag (for Wi-Fi version, $300 for 3G + Wi-Fi) and an official name - PS Vita.

It looks so much better than 3DS. I just don't know what games I'd get for Vita other than Uncharted. And it's so big. It was funny seeing everyone take turns struggling to pull it out of their back pockets at the Sony presser.

There was a lot of laughter when AT&T was announced to be the exclusive server for its 3G. I know pretty much nothing about 3G connectivity since the most advance thing I do with my phone is take pictures. Was it warranted?

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I dont quite understand why everyone is jizzing themselves over this. The psp was impressive from a hardware point of view when it came out yet no one was jumping to buy one. You should really only be excited for this machine if you like monster hunter.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I don't get it either. For good or bad this may be the last generation of portables regardless of anything either Sony or Nintendo can do. I'm only excited about 3DS because of the franchises attached to it, while Sony has whizzed every franchise I've ever cared about that they had down their leg (Oddworld, Spyro, Crash - etc.)

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

This hardware is pretty insane for a handheld and the price is fantastic. It looks like an actual competent game system, unlike the awful 3DS. My roommate is pre-ordering one and so am I. At $250 I didn't even think twice about the decision. That's basically impulse buy range for me for new hardware.

The announced games so far are pretty interesting and already a more compelling library than everything on the 3DS, and I especially like that Sony seems to be focusing hard on integrating the console/portable experience.

I think there is room for two major markets for handhelds: Casual and "hardcore." The casual market is shifting toward iOS and other cell phone devices at a rapidly accelerating pace and Nintendo is obviously scared, as well they should. Sony is basically choosing to ignore this market to focus on the high-end with real hardware designed for games, and I love it.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Handhelds always end up being casual regardless of audience, because of the nature of the beast itself - the games and the system are almost always designed as something you can pick up and play in short jabs. If not at first, that's the way they eventually gravitate towards. Both handheld console audiences are pretty much doomed.

You better believe that a phone that can do what the PSP2 can do will probably come out well before the PSP2 or the Nintendo 3DS's lifespan is used up. There are already many hardcore games coming out for phones that can compete better than you'd think. They just don't have that marketing push behind them that a mainstream company can generate (yet).

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Segaholic2 wrote:This hardware is pretty insane for a handheld and the price is fantastic. It looks like an actual competent game system, unlike the awful 3DS. My roommate is pre-ordering one and so am I. At $250 I didn't even think twice about the decision. That's basically impulse buy range for me for new hardware.

The announced games so far are pretty interesting and already a more compelling library than everything on the 3DS, and I especially like that Sony seems to be focusing hard on integrating the console/portable experience.

I think there is room for two major markets for handhelds: Casual and "hardcore." The casual market is shifting toward iOS and other cell phone devices at a rapidly accelerating pace and Nintendo is obviously scared, as well they should. Sony is basically choosing to ignore this market to focus on the high-end with real hardware designed for games, and I love it.
u r such a sony fanboy. It has to be said.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Do I want the system with a solid breadth of franchises behind it, free but probably shoddy online, but the overall best history, kind of meh tech specs - or do I want the system with a dearth of intellectual properties attached to it (I hope you really really like Sucker Punch's games), paid and insecure online attached to a terrible provider (but probably more robust), great tech specs, but coming from a company who has been hit or miss in the handheld department for the past decade?

Neither of these sound promising, but in this case I'll probably take the "devil you know" over the "devil you don't know" (but hackers know pretty well, lolz - sorry, cheap shot). In the end it will just be stalling time before both camps are absorbed by 6th or 7th generation smartphones.

You know the future depicted in the Mega Man battle network games where everyone has a little gizmo that handles everything electronic you could ever want (including state of the art video games, phone, camera, email, practical aps, music, television and more) except food? That was the real future, dude, only without the sentient web browsers. I don't even own a damn smartphone yet and I can still see it coming.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Radrappy wrote:u r such a sony fanboy. It has to be said.
Nah, he just hates Nintendo on principle. Segaholic, you know.

Anyway, I wonder if this PSP2 will get the popularity its predecessor never had; they're going to need some pretty good titles.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Brazillian Cara wrote:
Nah, he just hates Nintendo on principle. Segaholic, you know.

Anyway, I wonder if this PSP2 will get the popularity its predecessor never had; they're going to need some pretty good titles.
Well, looking at sales data, it looks like people bought PSP solely either for their SquareEnix lineup or Monster Hunter, so . . . I don't really know what the Vita could do to try to change that. I can tell you that Sony's IPs (Ratchet and Clank, God of War, Jax and Daxter) sure didn't push the system. Bribe SquareEnix more, I suppose. Loco Rollo 4, I guess?

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

I like good and interesting games, and Nintendo hasn't done anything particularly interesting in years. Sony as a platform and publisher tends to take risks on crazier creator stuff that Nintendo seems to specifically avoid, whether through action or inaction. This is the reason I liked Sega as my favorite company for a long time (publishing really risky, creative stuff; not so much anymore, unfortunately). Microsoft isn't so bad either, though they trend more to the smaller indie scale when it comes to risk-taking.
Shut up, moron.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I really don't see Sony doing that much interesting in the past several years. Even Loco Rollo was proceeded by a Kirby title on the GBA or GBC (can't remember) that did the same thing. PixelJunk does cool stuff, but you can't just point to them and say that alone makes the company original and experimental anymore than I can say that of Nintendo because of Elite Beat Agents and Rhythm Heaven.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Yeah dude what are you talking about. Nintendo is boring and Sony is innovative? I'm sorry, apart from Team Ico, what is it thats so ingenious about sony's software offerings?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

And I doubt we'll be getting an ICO game for the Vita.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Zeta wrote:You better believe that a phone that can do what the PSP2 can do will probably come out well before the PSP2 or the Nintendo 3DS's lifespan is used up. There are already many hardcore games coming out for phones that can compete better than you'd think. They just don't have that marketing push behind them that a mainstream company can generate (yet).
That strikes me as overly optimistic. There aren't even tablets that can run the kind of gaming that the Vita is promising, and I very much doubt that's because of marketing. And the Vita hardware is incredibly cheap (because Sony uses it as a loss leader to rake in profits on software sales). Personally I find it much more attractive than the 3DS. Plus, phones and tablets are poor gaming platforms to begin with. The Apple interface approach has been to make them entirely out of a touch screen, which is fine for phone use and traditional computing, but kinda sucks for hardcore gaming.

The main problem I see with the Vita is that it alienates the younger market, who have traditionally been the dominant force in handheld gaming. Are parents going to be prepared to buy their kids what is essentially a gaming tablet after buying them a smartphone? I've spoken to a couple, and the general impression they gave me was that if their child asked for a Vita, it would be assumed they were taking the piss. The price point means it has to compete with both the 3DS and the smartphone market and kids just don't have that kind of disposable income. In order to be successful, the Vita will have to break into the adult market, at which point maybe kids will start asking their parents for one. And even then, will parents be willing to buy their children an entertainment centre when they already have a smartphone that plays games? Remember, children aren't particularly discerning gamers.

The smart money is that the Vita won't be a breakout hit, although that isn't really saying much (predicting that a product won't be a big hit is always a relatively safe bet). The general reaction I've noticed from the parents and techies who've seen it is that they were very impressed by the technology, but also that it's a bit too expensive ($100 above the original DS price point) and a bit too similar to existing kit (smartphones for kids and tablets for adults).

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I guess the reason I'm having trouble getting excited about the Vita, even though the tech seems phenomenal, is because of the PSP. Because it seems like they're taking a very similar approach to the software, and I know that approach leaves me cold.

Here is what I think: Sony desperately needs some more handheld exclusive franchises. I mean, I guess they can technically be spinoffs, or use characters from a console franchise, or something... but god, they need to be functionally, mechanically distinct in some way. Because yes, it's very impressive if you can exactly recreate the gameplay and style of God of War, or Ratchet and Clank, or Uncharted on a less powerful handheld. But man, I just can't bring myself to care. Not to REALLY care. Not like I would about the "real" games in the series.

Is this just a personal existential crisis? Or is "exactly the same, but slightly uglier" just not a very good sell line? All I know is, even when these handheld iterations are good, I just find myself sitting there thinking, "Gee, I wish they'd made it for the console so it could be as good as the PROPER games in the series." So it could take advantage of the full resources and innovations that other games in the series ARE taking advantage of RIGHT NOW, instead of just aping them. I watch the Uncharted 3 trailer, and I find myself really struggling to give a damn about a handheld title that (justifiably) looks like a less interesting version of exactly the same thing.

The Vita is a hell of a machine. Based on nothing but system specs and price, I'd definitely take it over the 3DS, no question. But it needs some Phoenix Wrights, man. It needs Professor Layton, or the Sonic Rush series, or Pokemon, Ghost Trick, Henry Hatsworth, Rhythm Heaven, Elite Beat Agents, Rocket Slime, Megaman ZX, Kirby, World Ends With You, Trauma Center, or even Zelda. But I don't mean in terms of gameplay or style or relative "hardcore"-ness. I mean in terms of uniqueness, of exclusiveness to the handheld... or if it's part of a franchise, then at least of sufficient distinctiveness from that franchise's current console editions. It needs games that will mean what Uncharted means to PS3 owners. And "More Uncharted" is not that game. (And neither is Patapon. Sorry, Patapon!)

Maybe that's not how everyone feels! But looking at my game collection, that seems to be what it takes to get me interested in a handheld, and why I really took to the DS. And why I still only own a handful of PSP games.

Radrappy

Post by Radrappy »

Esrever wrote:I guess the reason I'm having trouble getting excited about the Vita, even though the tech seems phenomenal, is because of the PSP. Because it seems like they're taking a very similar approach to the software, and I know that approach leaves me cold.

Here is what I think: Sony desperately needs some more handheld exclusive franchises. I mean, I guess they can technically be spinoffs, or use characters from a console franchise, or something... but god, they need to be functionally, mechanically distinct in some way. Because yes, it's very impressive if you can exactly recreate the gameplay and style of God of War, or Ratchet and Clank, or Uncharted on a less powerful handheld. But man, I just can't bring myself to care. Not to REALLY care. Not like I would about the "real" games in the series.

Is this just a personal existential crisis? Or is "exactly the same, but slightly uglier" just not a very good sell line? All I know is, even when these handheld iterations are good, I just find myself sitting there thinking, "Gee, I wish they'd made it for the console so it could be as good as the PROPER games in the series." So it could take advantage of the full resources and innovations that other games in the series ARE taking advantage of RIGHT NOW, instead of just aping them. I watch the Uncharted 3 trailer, and I find myself really struggling to give a damn about a handheld title that (justifiably) looks like a less interesting version of exactly the same thing.

The Vita is a hell of a machine. Based on nothing but system specs and price, I'd definitely take it over the 3DS, no question. But it needs some Phoenix Wrights, man. It needs Professor Layton, or the Sonic Rush series, or Pokemon, Ghost Trick, Henry Hatsworth, Rhythm Heaven, Elite Beat Agents, Rocket Slime, Megaman ZX, Kirby, World Ends With You, Trauma Center, or even Zelda. But I don't mean in terms of gameplay or style or relative "hardcore"-ness. I mean in terms of uniqueness, of exclusiveness to the handheld... or if it's part of a franchise, then at least of sufficient distinctiveness from that franchise's current console editions. It needs games that will mean what Uncharted means to PS3 owners. And "More Uncharted" is not that game. (And neither is Patapon. Sorry, Patapon!)

Maybe that's not how everyone feels! But looking at my game collection, that seems to be what it takes to get me interested in a handheld, and why I really took to the DS. And why I still only own a handful of PSP games.
nope, you completely nailed it.

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

I'm right there with you, Esrever. Most of the PSP games I've played feel like this would have been noticeably improved if they were on a home console. The only games I can think of that didn't really smack of that were Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII and Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep. (In fairness, I haven't played a HUGE number of PSP games, but I've spent a good amount of time with the system.) I think part of the problem is that there was a reasonable amount of parity between what a PS2 could do and what a PSP could do, so it was convenient to make a similar game and scale it down (or to make a version for both systems). Hopefully some of the hardware options in the Vita will prevent that this time.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Final Fantasy Dissidia is also a pretty fun PSP exclusive. But yeah, it is a good point. I would guess that it's a consequence of a lack of confidence from the developers. It's a lot safer to port a game engine (or an entire game) to a portable console than to take a gamble and try to come up with the next Pokemon/Kirby/Phoenix Wirght/etc, and if you aren't sure the machine has enough of a userbase, you might not want to take risks. Having a very young userbase would also allow for more freedom to experiment.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

And Nintendo's going the OTHER way with it; the WiiU, to me, seems like a Super DS Player. Wouldn't surprise me to see EBA/Ouendon and other distinctly DS experiences make to the jump to that.

It's all becoming one homogeneous mess.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Esrever is completely right. That's Sony's strategy - emulate the at home experience on the go. I'm not saying it works.

Sony needs to bring some talent to its portable side. Not just the b-teams.

The DS succeeded because people were curious about its touch function and dual screens. Its launch games were quirky and different. The DS was distinguished from the start. And when people were curious, it sold. Then it had a huge user base. And with the huge user base and precedent set by its early games, companies were willing to keep experimenting. If the game only sold to a small percentage of DS owners, they could still make a good profit.

The PSP was pretty much a portable PlayStation 2. Most people were already going for the DS and the PSP was more expensive. Sony tried to gain the market by focusing on movies (which helped them establish the PS2 with its launch), but that didn't work in the portable market. Sony talked a lot about PSP connecting with the home system, but that didn't happen until PS3 launched (and even then that function wasn't marketed in a way that most people understood).

Both systems priced the same should keep things more level for this generation. Sony isn't focusing on movies the same way it was with PSP. The second analog stick should help a lot with bringing the home experience on the go for real this time. The DS is having trouble finding a user base (or noteworthy games for that matter). I think Sony has a shot at this generation.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Esrever wrote:I guess the reason I'm having trouble getting excited about the Vita, even though the tech seems phenomenal, is because of the PSP. Because it seems like they're taking a very similar approach to the software, and I know that approach leaves me cold.

This man, this. When thinking about buying a PSP, it always comes down to this - what do I really want from it I can't get from a home console experience? Dissidia and Kingdom Hearts 2.5. Those are pretty good games, but it doesn't have the slew of killer aps that the DS had, and what aps it does have are just Sony aping it's home console successes but with less instead of more. That would be fine, to a point, but there's just not enough of a range of titles there, and Sony's broken a lot of bridges and good will with second-party developers in the past 10 years. But most of all, there just ain't enough originality on the PSP to make it a system in it's own right instead of a mini Ps2 for the first one and a mini Ps3 for the second one. And if portability isn't that much of a big deal to you (and it won't be for adults who have their own TVs, but will be for kids who have to split a tv with their parents) then you're just going to buy a PS3 for the complete experience anyways. MiniGod of War, Mini Ratchet, Mini Uncharted, Mini Resistance, Mini Infamous are not enough to keep this boat afloat. We need something unique to portable, not a "mini" existence. Monster Hunter does a good job of doing that, at least in Japan, but it's not enough.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

The gravity game looks kind of cool.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

Zeta wrote:I really don't see Sony doing that much interesting in the past several years. Even Loco Rollo was proceeded by a Kirby title on the GBA or GBC (can't remember) that did the same thing. PixelJunk does cool stuff, but you can't just point to them and say that alone makes the company original and experimental anymore than I can say that of Nintendo because of Elite Beat Agents and Rhythm Heaven.
Flower, Journey, Heavy Rain, LittleBigPlanet, Noby Noby Boy, Papo & Yo, and The Last Guardian off the top of my head are already far more interesting than everything Nintendo's done since the GameCube. It's fine if you don't like any or all of those games, but my argument isn't about subjective quality. I didn't even bother listing any of PixelJunk's stuff.

Using Elite Beat Agents as an example of originality is laughable.

I will admit that a lot of the reason I'm excited about the Vita is pure gadget nerdery. It is an objective fact that the Vita is a far superior piece of hardware to the 3DS, which is plagued by horrible battery life, a stupid gimmick and just awful engineering and user interface. I'm honestly surprised that Nintendo released such a shoddy product, even considering all their other misfires.

I own both a DS Lite and a PSP. Several years ago, I definitely spent far more time with the DS, but as the years went by, the types of games that interest me slowly stopped being released on the DS and all started coming out on the PSP. Now, looking back at several years of history, the games that I would probably say were great on the DS are Rocket Slime and maybe one or two of the Castlevanias. I honestly don't even remember what else I own, because so much of the library is so forgettable. On the other hand, I ended up using the PSP almost exclusively in the last couple years. And I will once again admit that my PSP usage has dropped off dramatically since I got an iPhone 4, which is basically my primary portable gaming device now. I think it might be nice to have a dedicated handheld again, and there is literally nothing interesting announced on the 3DS. Except for that Four Swords port, maybe. But I got the impression that it was the shitty GBA version.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

I really do not understand the general hostility towards the PSP or its library. It is understandable if you only look at first party titles, which are truly lacking, but beyond that, its library leaves almost no room for wishes and I admit that the PSP is one of my absolute favourite consoles.

Ignoring the fact that I am a worshipper of Sting’s Dept. Heaven Episodes games, of which the PSP saw and is still seeing many, the PSP is host to countless highly interesting, innovative, and brilliant titles, and has become the refugee for small developers and experimental, unique, or niche games far too grand and well-made to be shoved into the corner of one of the soulless online stores of XBLA or PS Store. A good portion of Hardcore Gaming 101’s articles cover PSP games, and right off the top of my head I could spawn an entire list of interesting games I would like to try at some point if I had more time and general interest in games; some of them sadly Japan-exclusive, but many also made available on other shores by courageous publishers. Given the same task on the DS, I would struggle to produce even a handful.
Further, the PSP unites the best of two worlds, encouraging and being able to put out the most splendid 2D we will ever see on a regular base again as well as giving 3D games a second spring, by being powerful enough to render them credibly and effortlessly (without the very archaic taint of DS or 3DS games), but at the same time too weak to allow for the hollow special effect orgies that plague the next-gen consoles—a limit from which the games actually benefit, as they focus much more on the gameplay and personal charme as a result.

And also the much-condemned availability of old remakes does not bother me the slightest. Why should I complain about being given the option to play (often massively enhanced, compiled, or for the first time translated) older gems on the go?

The PSP’s library covers all spectra of genres and of tastes, but due to its potent hardware, most of these works are highly polished and finely crafted to live up to their platform, making for a brilliant array of games, be it experimental and refined platformers and puzzle games, epic RPGs, fun, quick action games, or even engrossing visual novels and strategy games. Often, these are hard to find, obscure, or never heard of. But once you find the key to unlock this treasure chest of games, its radiance will blind you.