New Game by Prope: Sky Knight Rodea (Wii/3DS)

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Re: New Game by Prope: Sky Knight Rodea (Wii/3DS)

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Notice in the 2D sections how rodeo dashes chest and face forward. Whereas, say, Nights would spin drilllike into an obstacle. Or Sonic would, y'know, curl up (or be engulfed in blue light as real hedgehogs are wont to do). Maybe he hates being bishonen.

Or, heck give him a sword to jut forward, ala Sparkster. He already has the prehensile tail. And the jetting about ...

Anyway, the camera behavior when latched to a solid surface is pretty wonky, too. Wonder how compulsory playing spiderman will be...

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

It's absolutely nuts how much more fun the wii version looks.

Dash

Post by Dash »

This comparison video really drives that point home. The Wii U version looks pretty darn drab, and he's zooming about in straight lines rather than those neat dynamic arches, with a long tension-killing float downward to boot(to accommodate picking your point on the gamepad?). Might be more to the changes, but yeah, the Wii version seems like the way to go on this.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

I'm pretty sure the Wii U version was a quick port cobbled together at the last second when they realized Nintendo were going to stop making Wiis. They didn't want to lose all of their "hard work", but it's not like they could market a standalone Wii game.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

So, curious, before I give up on this forum entirely, does this game have the GHZ seal of approval?

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I picked it up and am on the last world right now. It's fun for the most part and is VERY Sonic Team-y. There are boost pads, homing attacks, and checkpoints that ring like bells when you hit them. It wouldn't be an unfair description to call the game the love child of Nights into Dreams and SA1.

The camera can be a pain and it's frustrating to navigate between energy barriers and certain attacks because of an inconsistent flight pattern. The story is not only generic but painfully unclear at times. Rivals will perish ambiguously leaving you wondering what has actually happened. The dialogue on the other hand is charming and well localized.

The real victory here though is that the game plays how Nights would play in a full 3d environment. I know this has been a dream of Naka's for a long time (a game that offered the sensation of free fully 3d flight) and know that the wii's pointer controls were one of the only means with which to deliver it.

To a normal gamer I'm not sure I'd recommend it but to anyone who has a soft spot for Dreamcast games or Nights, It's essential. It harkens back to a simpler time when fun arcade-y gameplay was all you needed. Certain imagery and level design will evoke Megaman Legends as well which is never a bad thing. It offers a sense of freedom movement wise that is pretty rare in 3d action games.

I am of course only talking about the wii version. I haven't even tried Kadokawa's garbage Wiiu ver.