Post your photography

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post your photography

Post by Delphine »

So, not all of us can draw, but I bet I'm not the only one here who has turned photography into a semi-serious hobby. If this thread gets popular I'll sticky it -- if no one cares but me I'll let it die.

Taken in Echo Park, Los Angeles, CA.

From my current apartment bedroom.

So back in Providence RI, there's this abandoned night club on the waterfront called Shooters. The place is a wreck, but the pier behind it still sees some use. I'm sure homeless people used to live there before all the hipsters decided it was a great place to take photos.

Also from Shooters. It's ~abstract~.

From the LA Zoo.

Last year my friend and I moved to CA from New England. We drove. This was taken upon entering Colorado.

Xyton

Re: Post your photography

Post by Xyton »

Man, I really need to sort through my photos. They're all just kinda heaped in some folders at this point. Here's some random stuff you can click to hugeify:

-----

Delphine, you have some nice stuff there! In particular, both sunsets capture a mood very well.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

A half melted porta potty I spotted at an arson site I walked through (and totally had nothing to do with). This was done by the heat emanating from the building across the street.

I've wanting to add the caption, "Now that's what I call hot shit," and use it as an image macro, but I haven't found an opportunity yet.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Thanks, Xyton! You've got some good stuff, too -- I especially like the industrial train going by the river. Interesting juxtaposition.
Frieza2000 wrote:This was done by the heat emanating from the building across the street.
Okay, that's somewhat terrifying. I think I see graffiti in there. Part of me hopes is was drawn on there before, instead of after.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

these are gorgeous guys. Del, I live in the LA area and those photos hit home.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

It was. Aside from the firefighters and police I was pretty much the first one through there. Photobucket couldn't handle it, but I do have a higher resolution image somewhere that's clear enough to see what part of it says. I don't remember offhand, but it was the kind of thing you'd expect to see written in a porta potty at a construction site.

M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

If I only had a camera...

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

Dear Mother Nature, I'd like to report a broken flock of Canadian Geese...

I've passed by this pond on my way to work for the last two years. So far there's always a population of geese and ducks that don't fly south, and I can't imagine how they survive. Yesterday morning it was -8 degrees F, and they were all huddled together in the water with their heads tucked against their bodies, clearly freezing their little tail feathers off. The little bit of water they're in is shallow enough for them to stand up in and somehow never freezes the entire winter. I don't know if they keep it liquid with their own body heat or if there's an underground heat source warming the water, but some mornings there's steam rising from it.

You can see some of them flying at me in the first shot. A group of eight or so hovered in front of me for a few seconds and I thought they were trying to shoo me away from their young or something but then they all landed, obviously accustomed to humans coming to feed them. If I knew they'd be so friendly I'd have brought bread.

Yes, that's snow accumulating on their backs.

Most of them started waddling away once they realized I wasn't going to put out.

It's not very good photography, but I thought it was bizarre enough to be worth sharing. Does anyone know if this is normal? Wooduck?

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Up here in Canada it is not un-normal for ducks to hang around for the winter. In the next town from mine theres about twenty seven ducks that have stayed. They have a small opening in the water where they spend most of their time. I feed them crack corn daily so they won't starve. There is a small city about sixties kilometers that have at least a hundred ducks in the open river.

We have a lot of geese were I live. I've fed a clutch of twelve gosling last summer but weened them off in July so they wouldn't stay. I'm surprised they have stayed in your area. I've never known geese to hang around like I have seen ducks. If the geese were getting fed or were around a lot of humans hat is probably why they have not migrated. Birds can become tame pretty quickly. Ducks and geese are really resistant to the cold but foraging for food will be troublesome and the risk of a bird freezing in the water and becoming trapped also occurs.