Dante is Dead...

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Soul
Now Playing: Dungeon Fighter Online

Dante is Dead...

Post by Soul »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwIFRl1Fo-U

Long live the new Dante.

Inb4 bitching about that guy not being the Son of Sparda.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Re: Dante is Dead...

Post by Kogen »

They made Dante a bigger fag? I never thought that was possible.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I saw this and was sad. :(

Why not just make a new franchise if the character is going to have nothing in common with the original?

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Japanese developers are very shitty lately and a lot of them are doing things like this; just sticking brand names on different products.

Just look at that weird Yakuza/House of the Dead game SEGA is doing.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Well, Devil may cry was made as a triology, no wonder things started to suck after the first 3 games...

Soul

Post by Soul »

Crowbar wrote:I saw this and was sad. :(

Why not just make a new franchise if the character is going to have nothing in common with the original?
Because, and this is as honest as I can get, making a new IP would mean a bigger risk for the company itself. If this wasn't labeled as a DMC game, then it would run the risk of being another clone of DMC. Now, if you were in charge of developing this game, would you rather be a DMC remake, or a DMC clone?

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I'd rather be a new game. ┐('~`;)┌

Even if they were intent on making a DMC clone, if they at least dropped the demons angle it wouldn't come off nearly so blatantly.

Also I think this is being made by an American developer.

Soul

Post by Soul »

I thought Ninja Theory was UK based? Are they...? Let me check... *seconds later* Yup, they are UK based. Their own site even explains exactly how this game is being operated on: http://www.ninjatheory.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3199

Considering that it's being overlooked at by Hedeaki Itsuno, and is a co-development process by both Capcom in Japan and the US...there's a 60/40 chance this can go wrong. Being that the 60% is actually everything coming together right (and the fact that Ninja Theory did worked on Heavenly Sword). The 40% is due to weather or not they treat this title like it's another Street Fighter Online.

Granted, I was getting bored with DMC after the third title came in and DMC4 was just a light snack for me when it came to playing the game. Hell, Nero, Trish, Virgil or any of the other secondary characters would have been the starring role and I still would have got a kick out of it. I only cared about how big of a combo I can rack up while infinitely cutting though all the hell spawn I can handle. The story wasn't even that much appealing to me - it was just something that moved the game along to the next wave of Satan's baddies for me to kill. This is all I ever got from DMC and this is all that should matter about the game - not how gay they can make the main character look. If Ninja Theory can actually improve on the story, as well as keep the same elements that made DMC what it is then I'm willing to actually play this.

Besides that, I got mostly a positive vibe for this game and I say Ninja theory should stick to their guns and Capcom should let their balls hang out and not submit to the outcries of fans that cling to their white-haired demon knight like it's their only lifeline in the world. And other companies should do the same... *coughcoughsegaahemcough*

...the whole 'taking something familiar into a new direction' stitch, not turning their character into a scene kid.

Also, forgot to show this off as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PCDxS8uJFQ

This guy makes Kratos' rage seem like temper tantrums...yet I'm not that impressed. Maybe it's because of the QTE events?

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Kogen wrote:They made Dante a bigger fag? I never thought that was possible.
I agree with you again. What is the world coming to?

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

That's certainly an interesting direction for the developer of .hack and Tail Concerto to take. I definitely have a soft spot for over the top action games though, so I'm sure this will amuse me.

I'm not the biggest DMC fan, so the redesign doesn't bother me as much as the fact Ninja Theory is behind it. Heavenly Sword was forgettable to me besides some of the boss fights as well as the graphics and general art direction, which they seem to still be excelling at based on this and their new game Enslaved. A lot of the character's faces were a little too uncanny valley for me in Heavenly Sword though, but it looks like they've remedied that thankfully.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I honestly don't understand the point of this reboot since it's stylistically awful, and will probably be embarrassed on every gameplay level by Bayonetta, which will be over a year old by the time DMC comes out.

Soul

Post by Soul »

I wouldn't be surprised if that IS the reason why Capcom is working with Ninja Theory to create this reboot. Hell, considering that the members of their former team Little Devils worked on Bayonetta. Eew...now that I think about it, it would really be a shame if going through the effort of creating another DMC game is to say to the rest of the gaming world "Hey! We can still make beat-em-ups and hack-n-slashers just like the rest of you two-bit hacks and we're here to prove it!".

Then again, this is Capcom - they're always looking to remind the rest of us who made these type of games first.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

If this were Sega I'd be worried. Like I am with PSO II. Capcom, to me, seems to have a better track record with regards to handling it's characters.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Why does this Dane dress like Harry Potter and act like a member of The Used or Fall Out Boy?

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Ninja Theory has a lot to prove with this one. What little I played of Heavenly Sword didn't do it for me. I'm a little surprised Capcom trusted them with this. Hopefully they know what they're doing.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Malchik wrote:If this were Sega I'd be worried. Like I am with PSO II. Capcom, to me, seems to have a better track record with regards to handling it's characters.
Uhh, not really. Capcom has just as many mediocre/terrible sequels as any other company, and Mega Man has been whored out more than Mario and Sonic combined.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I thought the trailer was pretty cool and I'm astonished it's had such a bad reaction. Maybe it's a cultural thing? In the UK, it's still cool to smoke and be skinny and have necklaces and wear dirty vests that just cover your nipples.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Crisis wrote:In the UK, it's still cool to smoke and be skinny and have necklaces and wear dirty vests that just cover your nipples.
Isn't that the problem though? They've gone from outrageous fantasy fashion Dante to a dirty guy who looks like he might be selling drugs down the street. I don't think anyone who enjoyed DMC ever sat back and thought it would be a great improvement if Dante looked like a normal person, even if he was a normal person who is cool by UK standards.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Perhaps the goal is to attract people who didn't like fantasy fashion Dante?

Don't ask me though, my experience with DMC has been brief and unpleasant.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

If that is acceptable fashion in this country then I am glad I've avoided going outside for the past few days.

He looks like Edward from Twilight crossed with a dirty chav crossed with a dickhead.

Soul

Post by Soul »

Dude, he can look like a fucking Hollywood pimp in a vest and pinstripe slacks for all I care and I'd still be willing to give this game a shot for the presentation itself. Though, we can all agree that the character's look gives mixed reactions, all ranging from interesting to not-so-interesting, to "OMGWTFNOFUKUCAPCOM" and so on. I'm more concerned for how the hell Capcom and Ninja Theory are going to get along with this project, along with Asura's Wrath.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

ITT: dante gets a haircut = franchise is ruined

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Soul wrote:Dude, he can look like a fucking Hollywood pimp in a vest and pinstripe slacks for all I care and I'd still be willing to give this game a shot for the presentation itself.
I said the same thing a few times, long ago. I think it involved a popular character...

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

I hate series reboot, I think it's terrible way of saying you fucked up last time. But is this really a reboot? I thought it was just, I dunno, a younger Dante. Like the Flinstones Kids, A Pup Named Scooby-doo or something.

I think this redesign makes perfect sense. Dante was always aimed at anime fanboys/girls/fags. Rules have kind of changed, so he did as well. C'mon, you guys really think the worse thing about this game is how he looks?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

C'mon, you guys really think the worse thing about this game is how he looks?
Do we know enough about the game to complain about something else? Give it time!