So. Summer of Sonic.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

So. Summer of Sonic.

Post by j-man »

This thing.

I know there's a few people from my island here. Anyone fancy going? Crush 40 are doing a set, Sonic 4 is playable, and as far as I can tell it's free entry. Pub afterwards, of course.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Re: So. Summer of Sonic.

Post by Ritz »

You do realize that this is an event for Sonic fans, right? You're going to be dealing with people at every tier of the Autism spectrum, all for the sake of playing a terrible game while listening to terrible music. You might want to hit the pub beforehand.

Just thought I'd fill in for Kogen today, let him take the load off. It's a tough and thankless job he does here.

j-man

Post by j-man »

Ritz wrote:You might want to hit the pub beforehand.
Good shout. It's your round, then.

Having been to the Bristol Comic Expo a couple times (with the denizens of the Mobius Forum, no less) I'm fully aware of the... calibre of people this type of event will attract. I'm kind of hoping to see some real-time nerd rage explode forth, although I doubt people are as likely to talk the same amount of shit face-to-face as they do behind the veil of a Sonic Retro screen name.

Also, maybe if I get to actually play Sonic 4 I can hate it as much as you guys!!!

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Well my self-esteem has been particularly low lately.

There doesn't seem to be a date given, though. Has it been on weekends before? I don't know if I'd have time on a weekday.

Also I'm not very nice on here so I'm not sure you'd want to have to actually meet me anyway.

j-man

Post by j-man »

August 7th, sir, which is a Saturday. Don't worry about being a cunt!

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I probably won't go. If it's any consolation, I'm just as unfunny in real life (I try to compensate by being substantially more attractive).

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Seems these events also attract narcissists.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Seems these events also attract narcissists.
Not this one!

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Ugh. Jesus. I'll see if I'm free or whatever.

You'd be the main attraction J. <3

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

J? You mean BJ! No one is better than gay, ol' Bentley.

And just so I can ask: will Bentley Jones be attending? He did sue SEGA recently, so that might have harmed his career (by harmed I mean killed).

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

I think this is still during my holidays, and it would be a nice opportunity to meet a few people I know in the UK. Not sure if I can though, nor if I actually want. It's a Sonic event after all.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Kogen wrote:He did sue SEGA recently,
Wait, really?

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

j-man

Post by j-man »

Registrations are now live, or whatever. Sonic Colours will be playable! Good times, right? Also, Nigel Dobbyn is attending, which excites me in strange ways.

If anyone seriously wants to go to this thing, set me a PM and we can organise a session at a nearby boozer to kick the day off. Really, if you live within a couple hours of London and have a few spare quid there's no excuse to be knocking about at home. PPA, if you're in the country you should totally swing by. We can totally be the cool guys that are only going ironically. Sneering is encouraged!

Lee, your attendance is mandatory. You can sleep on my floor and I'll make you an omelette for breakfast and we can play Smash Bros a whole bunch and it'll be sooooo bromantic.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Fuck it, I'm going.
The inclusion of a "Next of kin" field on the registration page reminds me of the intended age group for this event. Embarassing but I shan't be deterred.

Also PPA, surely that avatar will work better as a transparent PNG or GIF?

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Thanks, this should do a better job indeed. I was a bit unsure if removing the gradient around the letters would make them look fake, but it seems to work...

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Crisis wrote:
Kogen wrote:He did sue SEGA recently,
Wait, really?

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.
They put a remixed version of one of his songs on the recent Sonic collection of music album. He had a huge fit and contacted a lawyer about getting his five yen worth of royalties.
16-03-2010 // ABSOLUTION

Taken from Bentley's official blog, below is a statement regarding his work with Sonic Team;

"It disappoints me to announce that the latest SEGA / Wave-Master releases relating to the Sonic series have proceeded without my consent, approval or notification. Specifically regarding the “True Colors” album, I wish to stress that I have not paid any direct contribution to its production at any point and is therefore not an accurate representation of my work. Furthermore; the music, vocals, production, engineering and my likeness(es) that appear on these albums do so without my permission, proper crediting and, in some instances, by breaching the copyrights of my work.

The royalties that I would normally be entitled to for any music that I have written have been denied, and so the only people who have been profiting from the exploitation of me and my music are SEGA.

The delay in issuing this statement has been due to legal investigations, and because of ongoing inquiries it may not be possible to comment on this area of my work through any medium: my sincerest apologies to the fans. Under protest, I will not list nor promote these albums as I do not consider them to be official additions to my discography.

I hope that my fans will understand and sympathise with this situation and I hope it will be resolved very soon.

// Bentley x"
The music actually sounds 'fine' (he just butchered some Sonic Adventure music) and to my knowledge he holds no copyright claim to songs Crush 40 made nor those songs that he made for Sonic character themes (Silver).

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

I have my medallion and striped sweater ready. I'm cosplayin'.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Malchik wrote:I have my medallion and striped sweater ready. I'm cosplayin'.
Who's going to be Sonichu?

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

I have to keep my original characters on the down-low. There'll be lots of trolls at Sega trying to steal my TRUE and HONEST, intellectual property. They had their chance.

j-man

Post by j-man »

Free toy with every meal! This is way past cool. And happenin'.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

That's actually a pretty cute figure. I like the Amy one, too.

Seem they're being given out on a first come first served basis... and I think it starts at 10 am. I bet there'll be a queue to be at the front of, too.

I'm thinking arrive at the pub about 10 the previous evening, stay there all night, yeah?

j-man

Post by j-man »

That does sound like a pretty good idea, but then again I am completely ridiculous.

PikachuColoredPichu

Post by PikachuColoredPichu »

Aw, but I wanna get Sonic 4...

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Those figures are badass. I'm pleasantly surprised that they're doing a second series. But where the hell is Eggman?

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

j-man wrote:Free toy with every meal! This is way past cool. And happenin'.
I would have moidered for figures that nice when I was a kid. Moidered, I tells ya.