Ken Penders owns a bunch of Sonic's shitty sidekicks

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Re: Ken Penders owns a bunch of Sonic's shitty sidekicks

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Love the blue/grey logo against the blue/gray background.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Seems to me that suing Archie and/or Sega was just an extortion attempt and now he's shitting this thing out just because he technically has to.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Rob-Bert wrote:Seems to me that suing Archie and/or Sega was just an extortion attempt and now he's shitting this thing out just because he technically has to.
It's kind of like Marvel getting this character Angela from Spawn and now all of a sudden she is the new Thor.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Majestic Joey wrote:
Rob-Bert wrote:Seems to me that suing Archie and/or Sega was just an extortion attempt and now he's shitting this thing out just because he technically has to.
It's kind of like Marvel getting this character Angela from Spawn and now all of a sudden she is the new Thor.
Wait, SHE'S becoming the new Thor? I know I'm a bit behind, but last I saw she was gallavanting around with the Guardians of the Galaxy...

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Ok, I just looked it up. It's still unrevealed who the knew female Thor is but Angela is a marvel character now. Also the Falcon is going to now be Captain America.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

If I were Ken Penders trolling the Sonic fandom, this is exactly what I would draw.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

Sonic shouldn't have joints or definitive muscle tone.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

He should really consider trying a Lovecraftian horror series. His art style is the perfect sort of wrong for it.

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

He reminds me of John K. Penders started off decent but as time went on his drawing styles became so unbound that his work comes off as strange and ugly.

cjmcray

Post by cjmcray »

He recently posted a tweet hinting that he might get into a legal battle with IDW. It's over a Star Trek comic he did years ago, but still, he conveniently mentions this right after Sonic moves to IDW.

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

I guess Ken wants to totally destroy his legacy.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Malchik wrote:I guess Ken wants to totally destroy his legacy.
And what a loss that would be, right?

Ken can't expect to keep stumbling into court cases and winning them through dumb luck. I think his little scuffle with Archie has given him a big head.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

...assuming he didn't ALREADY have a big head.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

With all his experience and dumb luck in litigation, he ought to become a copyright lawyer and fail at that too.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Lawsuits are probably his only source of income at this point. I'm sure nobody is paying him to write.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Allegedly, his wife is the breadwinner. Also his attorney. Allegedly.

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

Ironically he could still be working if he didn't fuck himself. It's so easy to get work in the comic industry as long as you hate Trump and spend all your time on Twitter.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

You know, back when Ken initially rolled out his complaints, I actually did have some sympathy for him. I think he initially couched his claims in that he wanted royalties for the issues that he worked on, not the outright ownership of a couple dozen Sonic OCs and recolors. Admittedly I have no idea if royalties are a standard form of compensation in the industry (my impression was that it's not really so common, but that Archie tended to screw over its staff more than other companies did), but other professions have pensions and matching 401ks... The dude just wants to retire in relative comfort. That I considered his writing and artwork for the comic iffy even at that stage has nothing to do with it.

But yeah, he's made completely ridiculous claims since, and even worse, has acted like a complete asshat. It sounds like Karl Bollers was equally culpable in the petty feuds that detrimentally affected the comic's ongoing continuity back when they were both writers, but his treatment of Ian Flynn is completely inexcusable. And his Twitter account clearly demonstrates that, if nothing else, the man is completely inept at managing his personal public image without coming across as an obstinate dick.

Malchik

Post by Malchik »

Archie's an infamously evil comic book company. I assume they have all their talent sign release forms for their creative output. If not, I'm sure they certainly do now after the Pender's fiasco.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

Malchik wrote:Ironically he could still be working if he didn't fuck himself. It's so easy to get work in the comic industry as long as you hate Trump and spend all your time on Twitter.
Seriously! Don't get me wrong I definitely lean toward the liberal side but there is no longer any diversity in comics in terms of political views and it's getting really stale. I write comics for fun, nothing ever really gets noticed. Probably because I'm writing a comic called Diary of a Douchebag which is about a frat dude getting a communications degree. I think my next comic I think I'm going to try writing a yaoi. I'm think it will be easier to get a following with that.

Anyways, I don't get Ken Penders's art. Sometimes he draws pretty decent and has ability but his Lara-su chronicles artwork is complete ass. He must be making it look like that on purpose just to fuck with Archie comics.

I'm optimistic for the IDW publisher switch but I'm sad the mega drive mini series will probably not be finished.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

Majestic Joey wrote: I'm optimistic for the IDW publisher switch but I'm sad the mega drive mini series will probably not be finished.
The art has been leaked, so hopefully someone can finish them off:
https://www.sonicstadium.org/2017/08/pa ... -1-leaked/

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Penders still as senile as ever in 2020;

https://twitter.com/KenPenders/status/1 ... 9803042816
The ramblings of a mad man wrote:It is my hope that THE LARA-SU CHRONICLES establishes once and for all neither my characters and storylines were ever dependent upon SEGA or connected to anything they're doing with Sonic & Knuckles, that people will see the material & characters stand on their own.
He just can't let go, can he?

NO ONE knew, cared for, or read anything of yours before Sonic, Penders. Just stop.