Daedalus must be proud.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Daedalus must be proud.

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhzs9GrGt9U

Kid Icarus Uprising. They reuse the Brawl designs, have him blurt out Solid Snake's catchphrase. The game seems more Sin & Punishment than anything (which itself isn't bad, but it ain't Kid Icarus). There is nothing interesting or inspired about this.

I mean day 1 purchase.

Also: Image

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Re: Daedalus must be proud.

Post by K2J »

PDF of titles for the 3DS. Oh, and an Ocarina of Time remake which isn't listed there.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Ah hell, let's make this the all-purpose 3DS thread.

PAPER MARIO DS WITH CHAIN CHOMP PARTNER.

Between this, Donkey Kong Country Returns, De Blob 2, Zelda Wii... I can't afford all this shit. Way to pile it on, Nintendo! Sheesh.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Thus far the only two things I've cared about this E3 are Atlus announcing an English release of Knights in the Nightmare PSP, and Kirby: Epic Yarn.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

P.P.A. wrote:Kirby: Epic Yarn.
!!!!!

!!!!!!

Jesus. The good has certainly out-weighed the bad (Metroid last year. Kid Icarus this year), but goddamn. It's like a dam burst. This is too much in too little time to process.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

More like Kirby: Epic Yawn.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I don't see anything wrong per se with the Kid Icarus trailer. It looks like a potentially fun action game to me.

What would "be" Kid Icarus? I never even played it, but what sets it apart from any other platformer?

Kirby game looks pretty cool.

DKC Returns looks kinda generic at the moment.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Crowbar wrote: What would "be" Kid Icarus? I never even played it, but what sets it apart from any other platformer?
Well, there's nothing entirely idiosyncratic about the first two games. The first levels of each had an upward-scaling levels that in one way or the other wrapped around sideways (in Myth & Monsters the screen would follow Pit, but in the original you'd appear at the opposite side of the screen).

It's just, after a two-decade hiatus, you'd expect something a little less derivative. A tall, possible impossible order, I admit. But at some point you gotta let sleeping dogs lie.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VXjUA0rinU

:D

Aside from bullet hell shmups always being welcome, I fully approve of the implication that we might see more doujin stuff getting full PSN releases. (ARE YOU LISTENING ZUN?)

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

For me the crown jewel of this conference was DKC Returns. My prayers have finally been answered.
Kogen wrote:More like Kirby: Epic Yawn.
HA HA HA

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

P.P.A. wrote:Atlus announcing an English release of Knights in the Nightmare PSP,
How exactly will this work without a touchscreen without being completely cumbersome?
Kogen wrote:More like Kirby: Epic Yawn.
Not enough guns for you?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Kid Icarus DS looks like Kingdom Hearts with longer flying sequences.
What would "be" Kid Icarus? I never even played it, but what sets it apart from any other platformer?
Not much. It was originally just Metroid with no backtracking.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I'd describe it more like a weird mix of Mario, Zelda and Metroid.

The new game looks like Star Fox + Sin & Punishment in ancient Greece, which is cool in my book.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

No-one here by any chance catch anything about the Dreamrift (Hatsworth people) game?

Dash

Post by Dash »

Icarus looks kinda early in development. I'd say that one won't make launch. Looks fun though. And hell if it just happens to be a S&P that a wider range of people can enjoy than I'm okay with that.

BTW JP trailer has Eggplant Wizard

So yeah 3DS. Pretty neat! I hope the design is spruced up a little before launch, but overall I like it. GC level graphics, neat 3D effect that can be turned off if you'd like, analog stick that is similar to the Saturn 3D(lol) Control Pad and very usable, backwards compatible with DS games, all the DSi features and widescreen for the top display. There's little to object to here.

Well, except maybe that they're starting out with a few N64 ports which probably means my desire to play my VC games on a portable will never be fulfilled. But a remade Starfox 64 does make my wallet itch. OOT remake kinda makes me groan in the same way a FFVII remake would though.

On the Wii front, hooray for more platformers!DKC Returns should be fun and Epic Yarn looks astounding. Epic Mickey stokes the Vault Disney-watching little kid in me(though I'm very much sick of the word "epic" already). All the exploration and silence in the new Metroid trailer speaks to me as well. Should be a good year.

Didn't mean to make the longest post in the thread so far but oh well!

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Literally nothing interests me on this gimmick system, except for MGS.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

I guess if you weren't a fan of the DS or PSP I guess this wouldn't excite you since this seems to be a combination of both.

Speaking of the PSP, is it just me or is Sony content of slowly of having the system die within the year or next in the West without the intention of reentering the traditional handheld market anytime soon? It seems sort of misguided to launch a new, but yet another terrible ad campaign without dropping the price of both the PSP and PSPGo.The sales for the system and games have been really abysmal for a while here.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Segaholic2 wrote:Literally nothing interests me on this gimmick system, except for MGS.
Hahaha, not enough guns for you?

Do you EVEN like anything??

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

The 3DS game list looks like a lot of old games rereleased with 3D effects, which is kind of a lame (if completely predictable) way to launch. What's new there other than Kid Icarus?

Kirby looks awesome, but I look at it and I keep thinking "why Kirby?" It doesn't look like it plays like a Kirby game. Why not a new original hero?

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Brand recognition, I imagine. We'd could dedicate an entire thread discussing what merits the continuation of a franchise that veers wildly in both terms of mechanics and theme.

But considering that this is made by Good Feel, it probably helps that they're being supervised by Soray, which should ensure some level of quality beyond Wario Land: Shake It.

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Green Gibbon! wrote:The 3DS game list looks like a lot of old games rereleased with 3D effects, which is kind of a lame (if completely predictable) way to launch. What's new there other than Kid Icarus?

Kirby looks awesome, but I look at it and I keep thinking "why Kirby?" It doesn't look like it plays like a Kirby game. Why not a new original hero?
That's what bothered me too. Not once in the video did Kirby float or swallow an enemy!
This rather seems more fit to be a Yoshi game actually. The style definitely reminded me of Yoshi's Story, and with Kirby transforming into all sorts of vehicles it also has elements of Yoshi's Island. Plus the tongue could be used in place of that whip. Why does Kirby have/need a whip?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Kogen wrote:Do you EVEN like anything??
Segaholic hates (nearly) everything. This has been a well-known fact for a while now.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

The irony of this is that Kogen hates everything, too.

Ngangbius

Post by Ngangbius »

Green Gibbon! wrote:The 3DS game list looks like a lot of old games rereleased with 3D effects, which is kind of a lame (if completely predictable) way to launch. What's new there other than Kid Icarus?
Paper Mario and a new Pilot Wings? Unless you mean new IP which I have no clue.

Also agreeing that Kirby looks fantastic. One of the best things that came out of this mostly dull E3 this year.

Speaking of which, how about that Nat--Kinetic, guys? Huh? So far it seems to be an device mostly suited for Para-Para.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Almost everything on display for the 3DS is a tech demo... n64 ports included. So there's not really much to get excited about, other than the hardware itself I guess!