Return of the Heroic Amputee in 2D

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Re: Return of the Heroic Amputee in 2D

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Now to be perfectly fair, the world must look alot different when viewed through such narrow slits.

Having that said, while I do like the backgrounds and the general visual style of Rayman origins, the character designs, choppy Flash animation, and third-rate "humor" are a complete turn off. I doubt I'll play it.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

The bland art comment was directed more at DKC. Rayman does fit the "tiresome rehash" description though. I didn't see anything new or interesting in the trailer, other than some pervy hurr hurr sex humor, which I guess is new, but not particularly interesting.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

On somewhat related news ('cause it's still something of an amputee, I guess), the new Kirby is like a redefinition of both kawaii and <3. I really want to try it and Galaxy 2 out, now.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

I tried Rayman once on the GBA, then decided it sucks. I also tried it on the Dreamcast, then further noticed it sucks.

Is there something I am missing out on? I actually cannot think of a good Ubisoft game.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Have you tried not hating everything?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

It's his gimmick. He's capable of rationale, but he finds it a bore. That's Our Kogen™!

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

It's long since lost its novelty. Actually, it was never novel to begin with. I recommend branching out.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Kogen wrote:I actually cannot think of a good Ubisoft game.
Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy. Beyond Good & Evil. XIII.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

OP's a prick. The title had my hopes up that they resurrected ASTAR.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

Opa-Opa wrote:Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy.
I have the second or third one. Essentially it is a tacky platformer that feels weird with some werehog scenes. Basically a shittier Sonic Unleashed.

I am going to stick to my principle that Rayman, Ubisoft, and France cannot make enjoyable experiences for me. I never thought the 'rabbids' stuff was particularly funny or even acceptable and the games all seem extremely dull. Characters are lifeless, the music is terrible, the platforming is so basic... It has nothing appealing in a bloated genre.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

None of us like the Rabbids games either, nitwit. It's Rayman 1 and 2 that are celebrated.

And for the record, Unleashed came AFTER Prince of Persia. Therefore, according to your twisted standards, Unleashed is actually a better version of Prince of Persia. Funny how that works.

j-man

Post by j-man »

He does it on purpose!

Blount

Post by Blount »

Kogen wrote:Characters are lifeless, the music is terrible, the platforming is so basic... It has nothing appealing in a bloated genre.
Please do not tell me you've played the original game. I understand that some people might have issues with the sequels, but to say this about the first Rayman (which barely has anything to do with the games that followed) is an atrocious act.

I can also not understand how anyone would think the music in the original trilogy is terrible.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I played through Rayman 2 on Dreamcast a few years after it came out. I wanted to like it, really. It just wasn't very good.

I want to say that I didn't like it because I expected it to be something different than it was. But really I only expected it to be a great game. And it wasn't.

It makes it hard to get interested in any of the less fawned over Rayman games, including a new one.

Kogen, you might want to give Sands of Time (the first game in the series) a try before entirely dismissing PoP. It was by far the best of the bunch.

Kogen

Post by Kogen »

gr4yJ4Y wrote:I played through Rayman 2 on Dreamcast a few years after it came out. I wanted to like it, really. It just wasn't very good.
I tried to do this, playing it for hours! Although apparently it does not save to a third party memory unit, but also does not tell you this is so.

So that was the end of me doing that.
Kogen, you might want to give Sands of Time (the first game in the series) a try before entirely dismissing PoP. It was by far the best of the bunch.
Actually that is what I wanted to do but fans of the series kept telling me to get the newest one. Even when I was buying it, people were telling me this in the store.

As for Rayman, I only played the original version on GBA. Perhaps that one is terrible? It kind of reminded me of Pinobee.

Edit: almost forgot something! If I were to get the first game, what version do I get? There appears to be 20 or so.

Blount

Post by Blount »

Kogen wrote:As for Rayman, I only played the original version on GBA. Perhaps that one is terrible? It kind of reminded me of Pinobee.

Edit: almost forgot something! If I were to get the first game, what version do I get? There appears to be 20 or so.
Oh, that explains a lot. The GBA version is to the Playstation, PC and Saturn versions as Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis is to the original game. Maybe not that bad, but still pretty terrible in comparison.

j-man

Post by j-man »

Yeah, get the PSone version of Rayman, and for goodness' sake get Sands of Time. The combat's not all that but overall, in my opinion, I give the game an 8.9 out of 10. IMHO.

Nah seriously, it's really fun.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

So, out of sheer curiosity, I checked out the Animated Series. Rayman with a thick Boston accent bewilderingly amusing.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Rayman 2 was what made the guy popular, you may not like that, but is true. I still got a few magazines from the time the game came out, and everyone was praising the dreamcast version like it was gold. Why do I keep such old magazines? I dunno, Duke nuken forever jokes?

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Kogen wrote:
Actually that is what I wanted to do but fans of the series kept telling me to get the newest one. Even when I was buying it, people were telling me this in the store.

There aren't too many major differences between the PS2, GC, and Xbox versions. I played it on GC, but the FMV and audio quality might be a bit better on the PS2 and Xbox versions. The graphics are probably worst on PS2, while the Xbox probably has exaggerated glowing effects. Apparently there's a 3d remake of the first level of the original Prince of Persia that can be unlocked with cheat codes only on the PS2 and GC versions, while the Xbox copy has Prince of Persia 2 in full on the disc. So there's not really any definitive version...

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

A few days late, but a preview.

Teensies make up the 3rd and 4th players Toad-style. It even uses the bubble return system.

Apparently for PS3 and Xbox. I thought it was going to be Wii for some reason?

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

There was a Wii box art, and Wikipedia lists it also being for Wii and 3DS. Two Rayman games on the 3DS? Oh Ubisoft, you'll make Origins shit just to be consistent.

Also, hell yeah the Teensies are back.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-20 ... ins/714914

New footage from E3... it's so beautiful in motion... and the off the walls Looney Tunes humor is present as well...

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Holy shit, characters that are from Rayman 1 like Mr. Dark and Electoons. I had assumed that all of those guys were thrown into the fires of hell after Rayman 2.

Btw, call me a spoilsport if you like, but I loved Rayman 1 and hated Rayman 2.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

Gak, GameTrailers just isn't serving up the video. At least it'll be on Youtube within the hour. And sweet jesus, from the stills I can find, it looks oh so very very good. Another reason I need to buy a Playstation.