World View-Changing Secrets Revealed!

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

World View-Changing Secrets Revealed!

Post by G.Silver »

So, it turns out you can get to that high area in Scrap Brain Zone Act 2. I had no idea! In the course of a normal game, you might have seen it, if you found the secret spot where you can get the 1up and all those rings from the monitors hidden under a conveyor belt, or you might have noticed the "exit" from that section, towards the end of the level, not unlike the hidden path in Labyrinth Zone Act 1. Because I'm awesome, I already knew about that, naturally.

So what you do--as it was told to me--take the high route at the start of the level, hit the switch to extend the bridge out to get up there, and head as far as the pit with the swinging mace with the shield power up. Get the Shield, and then head back, dropping down to the lower path via the opening-and-closing red gate. The trick now is to go through the rest of the stage without losing any rings. You can lose the shield, but not any rings. When you get to the third elevator pipe (the one with the bend in it) Sonic won't exit it, and it'll take him up to the hidden area! Take that, you damn secret!

But then it's like, who else already knew it? And then wouldn't you know it, both secrets are covered over at Sonic Zone 0, and it turns out all you need to do to get into the Scrap Brain Act 2 is have 50 rings when you get in the pipe--going the top route and hitting the switch has nothing to do with it, except snagging a few extra rings you wouldn't have ordinarily. Where's the arcane knowledge in that straight-forward sort of method? Ahhhh, the new frontier, it's slipping away already...

So, did you know you can jump back onto the screen at the end of a non-boss Act in Sonic 1 and 2? Aren't you impressed with this sort of thing? Please? :(

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Re: World View-Changing Secrets Revealed!

Post by Locit »

G.Silver wrote:But then it's like, who else already knew it? And then wouldn't you know it, both secrets are covered over at Sonic Zone 0, and it turns out all you need to do to get into the Scrap Brain Act 2 is have 50 rings when you get in the pipe--going the top route and hitting the switch has nothing to do with it, except snagging a few extra rings you wouldn't have ordinarily.
Didn't know this!
So, did you know you can jump back onto the screen at the end of a non-boss Act in Sonic 1 and 2? Aren't you impressed with this sort of thing? Please? :(
Everyone knows this. Right?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Zone 0 is alright, but the hyperbole in all the writing is off the fucking scale. May as well not bother playing the game yourself, he's going to tell you every stinking tiny nuance as painstakingly as possible, with screenshots (with captions!) too. If you think i'm pedantic, then get a load of that nutcase.

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

G.Silver wrote:But then it's like, who else already knew it? And then wouldn't you know it, both secrets are covered over at Sonic Zone 0, and it turns out all you need to do to get into the Scrap Brain Act 2 is have 50 rings when you get in the pipe--going the top route and hitting the switch has nothing to do with it, except snagging a few extra rings you wouldn't have ordinarily.
I knew about this! It was Stealth who explained it for Area 51 back in the day, I think. To tell the truth, later on I thought it was bogus because I could never find that blasted pipe when I wanted to, so I removed it from the site. Glad to hear it's actually there.
...meanwhile, I never knew about this. So I am quite impressed, I suppose.

(No Imagination)

...by the way, that site's making me sick to my stomach. Attempting another 'sophisticated' GHZ clone is one thing, but these guys spend way too many words on too few subjects (for instance, the page on removed Sonic 2 stuff looks comprehensive enough, yet it fails to even mention drx's beta or the hidden empty or filled with lines levels in Wai's Sonic 2 Beta). So yeah, I guess they will update everything eventually and the site is currently in its growing state and all that...except snapping and spoiling every goddamn corner of Marble Zone obviously has priority over getting the Sonic 2 Beta stuff clean or even finishing the basic Sonic 3 level overview. Good grief.

"Primary Sonic Platformer" ... I can hardly wait to find out what a secondary Sonic platformer is, and what it looks like.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

The Game Gear titles, obviously. They're gaiden games through and through.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

At least it's been updated within the past 2 and a half years.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Zing!

(No Imagination)

Shadow Hog wrote:The Game Gear titles, obviously. They're gaiden games through and through.
Uh...meaning Sonic R is tertiary and Sonic Rush a ... quarterary Sonic platformer or something?
Crisis wrote:At least it's been updated within the past 2 and a half years.
Touche.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I think Sonic Rush would fairly obviously be secondary (well, MAYBE tertiary, if you just don't like Dimps or something, but it's not like the 8-bit titles weren't outsourced). Sonic R may or may not technically involving platforming elements but it is clearly a racing game and not a platform game.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

It's not like there's been anything Sonic-related worth updating for in the past 2 and half years!

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Green Gibbon! wrote:It's not like there's been anything Sonic-related worth updating for in the past 2 and half years!
I was going to say the exact same thing.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I think we're the last corner of Sonic fandom that hasn't basically devolved into an unpaid arm of Sega Europe's PR department. I still get the emails from those guys.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Okey, Sega of Europe still exists?

By the way I have been playing Sonic Advance, was the game that bad? No letter ranking system, only numbers like in the genesis games and sure it has a few bottonless pits, but besides that, is not so bad.

If Sonic is targeted to A) Five year olds and B) Anst teens

Then the letter ranking system should only be avaliable in hard mode, in easy you should only get the numbers score.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Green Gibbon! wrote:I think we're the last corner of Sonic fandom that hasn't basically devolved into an unpaid arm of Sega Europe's PR department. I still get the emails from those guys.
Wait, seriously? They're that desperate?

Also, isn't your birthday sometime around now? Aren't you 35 now or something?

I'm just going to add this sentence so my entire post doesn't end in question marks. God, SoCal is starting to get to me.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Delphine wrote:
Green Gibbon! wrote:I think we're the last corner of Sonic fandom that hasn't basically devolved into an unpaid arm of Sega Europe's PR department. I still get the emails from those guys.
Wait, seriously? They're that desperate?
Sonic Stadium's been all but under their thumb for some years and Retro was (hypocritically) up to some kind of arrangement with Sega PR until the leaks, or so Scarred Sun whined. They are the big two now and though they're not entirely the only game in town (Retro sure tried their damnedest to be, swallowing up dying sites left and right), they're polarizing.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

?????????

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

What in the flying fuck-

Neo

Post by Neo »

God damn it, are you serio-

Did you guys even play the games?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

One might argue that if you're stopping to push objects in a game where only two stages require you to do such to progress, you're playing the game the wrong way.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Neo wrote:God damn it, are you serio-

Did you guys even play the games?
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Sonic is a fast paced game, but is not aboud speed. In the genesis games there where times where you had to stop and look, and time your jumps. Of course once you have played the same level several times, you could do those parts fast, but it was also more risky.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Yeah, but I never stopped to push shit. What the fuck is this, Sonic 1? Har har.

But seriously, I had no idea about any of this. I am so ashamed.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

What, wait, are you all surprised there was a giant ring down there? I... what?

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Yeah, I literally had no idea.