Forget Ace Attorneys. Phantom Detectives is where it's at!

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Edgerock

Forget Ace Attorneys. Phantom Detectives is where it's at!

Post by Edgerock »

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/capti ... rick/64640

Yet they're from the same creators...

Blount

Re: Forget Ace Attorneys. Phantom Detectives is where it's a

Post by Blount »

Huh. I just found out about this game, actually.

The main character has one of the worst designs I've ever seen. The girl just looks like Ema Skye and Frankie Foster combined together. The game itself seems neat, though.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Something about these character designs remind me a bit of early ideas for the first Ace Attorney's main cast. For better or for worse. (I don't know what happened to the link, but it still works on the TvTropes page.)

Anyway, I'm surprised to learn this game happens in the same universe as AA's- but even without said connection, I was already keeping an eye on it.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AceAttorney

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Friggin' edit limit - that link wasn't supposed to be there.

Since I'm already here... did anyone else play Investigations? I had the luck of getting it early, and a few issues aside (even if it reaches the intended tension, the "final battle" can be a bit annoying), it was definetely worth it.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

It was good, but like Apollo Justice, now that they've set up a new group of characters and gameplay methods, I'd really like to see some deeper content. Like, the original AA1 was good in its own right, but it's awfully shallow and easy (at least the four original cases are) in comparison to the two other games. I'm waiting for something on the level of JFA and T&T from the next iteration. I feel the same way about these two new directions after T&T they're taking.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Blount wrote:The main character has one of the worst designs I've ever seen.
Are you kidding me? He's kickin' rad.

Everything about this trailer screams Exit, which is a good thing, because Exit is pretty stylish. It also makes me leery by association, because Exit actually wasn't a good game at all. Either way, this is something I'll be keeping an eye on for sure.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Man, tell me about it. I love everything about Exit except, y'know, playing it. I have a similar feeling here, I love the style but with such a weird game concept I just don't know if it can be trusted.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

You know, I actually found Exit a lot more enjoyable on the DS! In that version, it controls more like an RTS... rather than moving Mr. Exit directly, you just command him to go to places using the stylus. Somehow, this makes the outrageously slow speed at which he moves, jumps and climbs less obnoxious... because while he is moving, you can go off and do other things. There were a lot of kinks in the implementation, but I think a game designed from scratch to control that way would be worth playing.

As for Ghost Trick, the concept is one I've been dying to see done right in a game, although I have no idea if they'll be able to make it work.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Actually the DS version is the one I picked up, so to each his own I guess. Conceptually I even like that, too, the way you're describing it (and it's how I played it, at least for a while, I believe you can control him directly too), but I still didn't like it.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I didn't think it was great, but I was enjoying it at least. Then I got to a level in world 2 or 3 that I couldn't figure out how to get passed. And since there were no walkthroughs for the DS version online -- at the time at least -- I just gave up and stop playing it. Heh!

James McGeachie

Post by James McGeachie »

Esrever wrote:I didn't think it was great, but I was enjoying it at least. Then I got to a level in world 2 or 3 that I couldn't figure out how to get passed. And since there were no walkthroughs for the DS version online -- at the time at least -- I just gave up and stop playing it. Heh!
The exact same thing happened with me exact I'm just too stubborn to check a guide.

It was some level involving an elevator for me. I played it a ridiculous amount of times, never once felt closer to passing it.

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

Gamespot has a English demo of Ghost Trick on Flash now.

http://www.gamespot.com/misc/presentati ... index.html

Edgerock

Post by Edgerock »

Shu Takumi's latest work is now out in the US...

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I've had this sitting on my shelf for months. Has anyone tried it yet?

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

I finished it. A lot of the puzzles are clever, and the story is satisfying despite a semi-asspull ending - there's only a few loose ends, and none of them are major. It's still really linear (as in you can solve each puzzle exactly one way - though there are at least two clever failure possibilities), but you can at least be tricked into thinking it's not as linear as Ace Attorney thanks to the interface being less menu-driven and timing actually mattering somewhat. There are a ton of other minor differences I could list, but in short, if you like Takumi's other work, I suggest trying Ghost Trick.

By the way, regarding Brazillian Cara's 10-month-old spoiler, there's no explicit connections between the two series, although a LOT of the outfits seem to match up for no other reason for us to think "Gumshoe!" when Jowd gets his life back together.