Prolific American Company I Do Care About vs. Capcom

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Shadow Hog

Prolific American Company I Do Care About vs. Capcom

Post by Shadow Hog »

Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Definite want.

Kind of hoping they'll figure out how to get somebody from the Ace Attorney series in, regardless of who (hell, maybe just the Steel Samurai would work).

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Re: Prolific American Company I Do Care About vs. Capcom

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I hope they finally ditch Blackheart and Shuma-Gorath, since this one's being made from the ground up. I don't know what the hell they were thinking when they were included in Marvel Super-Heroes way back when. Also less 1990s X-Men silliness. Daredevil, Thor, Dr Strange and any of the Fantastic Four should be included this time. As far as villains go I'd like to see Doctor Octopus, Green Goblin/Hobgoblin and Super Skrull. If they're going to do the giant end boss thing again then screw Apocalypse and Onslaught and go with the infinitely more popular and appealing Galactus.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

It seems you can see Super Skrull's profile in the trailer and promo images, as well as Deadpool's. Lookin' good so far!

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Deadpool is great, but Dr. Strange is a vulva jostler for sure. I'd buy the game on principle if he made the cut.

You know, it's funny- I don't care much for fighting games at all, but I still wind up getting caught up in the hype whenever Capcom churns one of these out. Character rosters excite me!

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Hmm.

Marvel sucks.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I guess Spider-man can't be in this game, since he's exclusive to Activision?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Esrever wrote:I guess Spider-man can't be in this game, since he's exclusive to Activision?
They just said in an interview that isn't the case.

I think they're just saving him for a really big trailer.

MiraiTails

Post by MiraiTails »

Regardless of licensing deals, wouldn't not having Spider-Man be the equivalent of Capcom leaving out Ryu?

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

No I'd say wolverine always held the equivilant spot.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Would you say that's still true now though? Unless you're referring to some sort of game-design position, I'm pretty sure when people think Marvel these days they think of Spiderman first.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Well, this is a games forum so I'm assuming we're talking about it in the context of capcom. If so, wolverine is clearly designed to be the ryu of the marvel side.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I think Spider-man is still the most popular Marvel hero, but Wolverine is always a very close second. And these days, with Iron Man being such a hot property and new Thor/Cap/Avengers movies on the way, I think they have enough big characters that could get away with a Spidey-free game if they had to. (But if they say they don't have to, then I'm sure Zeta's right and they're just planning on revealing him later.)

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Ugh, three dees. Society's inescapable decadence, dumbin' down in order to appeal to moviegoers and stuff. Do not want yet somewhat closely follow, et cetera.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I'd be lying if I said I won't miss the sprite style from the older games. I mean, they could take the same graphic direction as BlazBlue or something like that - but then again, Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom (whose producer is the same as this game's - and is also its total director) didn't look bad at all, so it's easier to accept.

Would it be too much to hope they include the She-Hulk?

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Isuka wrote:Ugh, three dees. Society's inescapable decadence, dumbin' down in order to appeal to moviegoers and stuff. Do not want yet somewhat closely follow, et cetera.
Man, no shit. I like Street Fighter 4 and all and I'm going to run down to Geo next week to buy Super and maybe the accompanying joystick if they release another one, but this stuff would just plain look better if it were still hand-drawn. We've lost something critical.

Blank
Now Playing: PSO2

Post by Blank »

Its not fair to cite Capcom's latest shader abuse cop-outs as the end of 2D yet. When you have games like Melty Blood(Generic characters, but some of the best animations I've seen in a fighting game thus far) and even KoF 2002(Both Top 10 last time I checked Arcadia Magazine) still going strong overseas, Capcom is actually one of the only ones appealing to Americasual.

I personally like this new style they're going for, and the mishmash of sprites never appealed to me in the Vs. Series. I'm getting sort of tired of Morrigan being Darkstalkers staple, same with Felicia who is undoubtedly the 2nd Darkstalkers char in the silhouettes. Its not vs. series without hot, flying instant-overhead succubus. As much as I want Lei-lei and Talbain on Wolvy action, I can forgive them if they bring back B.B. Hood and stick in a different Rivals School character.

Get hype for pringles. If you don't get the reference you are a Sirlin sadlife.

Also annoyed that Capcom is the only one doing these company cross-overs. Just a while back for an April Fools joke, Examu teamed with ArcSys for an Arcana Heart vs. BlazBlue spoof on their websites. Why must they troll my dreams? T_T

M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

Blank wrote:Its not fair to cite Capcom's latest shader abuse cop-outs as the end of 2D yet. When you have games like Melty Blood(Generic characters, but some of the best animations I've seen in a fighting game thus far) and even KoF 2002(Both Top 10 last time I checked Arcadia Magazine) still going strong overseas, Capcom is actually one of the only ones appealing to Americasual.
BlazBlue is a much better example; its an even bigger success than Guilty Gear. Of course most casual players are unaware of its existence but it sold so well in America and that continuum shift's console version will be released in America and Japan on the same month. It also has the best character design I've seen since Guilty Gear.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Melty Blood? Generic characters? I presume you have read neither Tsukihime nor Kagetsu Tohya?

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

...this game ... is just not gonna be the same without Lightan. ;_; It better have Twelve in it, though.

Melty Blood and Guilty Gear are fun, but am I really that alone in not being able to stand BlazBlue? It annoys the hell out of me for some reason ... I believe it's the soundtrack.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

I hope they ignore everything about marvel vs Capcom 2 and just copy everything in Marvel vs Capcom 1...

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

... well, in all fairness, the first one DID have better music, individual endings, and a cooler final boss (despite his cheapness). But as for everything else, nope.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

I am a guy who liked the Saint Seiya fighting game for the ps2 (Chapter Santuary not the horrible Hades sequel), so what? I like fighting games that look cool, have good music, good animations, animated endings and where you can select an easy mode and so on.

What? I am the only one that fell scamed after playing Marvel vs Capcom 2?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Arcade wrote:What? I am the only one that fell scamed after playing Marvel vs Capcom 2?
yes

Blank
Now Playing: PSO2

Post by Blank »

P.P.A. wrote:Melty Blood? Generic characters? I presume you have read neither Tsukihime nor Kagetsu Tohya?
I have a bit, and I actually am a fan of some of the Kara no Kyoukai movies. They have their moments, but I still think design-wise the characters are rather bland and the main appeal of a lot of them seems to come from their yandare factor. It just gets kind of old.

The reason I didn't cite BlazBlue was because its graphics are on a different level compared to games like Melty, which still go strong using a fairly old-school style compared to the more vectorized Blaz. I also feel ArcSys has always been mediocre-decent as far as actual animations go. The sprites look great but the animation is nothing spectacular.

The main reason I would be sad about MvC3 coming out is that it pretty much kills the little hype TvC had. Not to mention theres no telling what direction they could go with MvC3. Rumors have it MvC3 is going for a more SF4-ish style of play with Marvel elements, which could go either way really. An SF4 with pushblock and triangle jumping just seems boring. Darkstalkers already does that way better and its more varied and fun in general. On the other hand, a Marvel footsies with good EX moves and assists playing a good role in the game leading to a more "technical" and less spammy style of play would be great.

My personal favorite capcom-over has been CvS2 for a while, and I really think its the one most deserving of a 3rd and re-balanced rendition. CvS2 is actually still one of my favorite games in general, but its hard to take it seriously with the problems it has and how linear A-groove/top tiers make the game. Same goes for 3rd Strike with Chun-li. Capcom did right when they actually tried to improve a pre-existing formula with TvC, so I hope we don't get anymore of this watered down crap.

Oh well, I will continue playing my poverty and weeaboo fighters while fantasizing Examu Vs. ArcSys and probably only try MvC3 for a week at most, more then the one day I gave SSF4 yesterday.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Well, at least we'll eventually get KOF XIII for our smoothly animated 2D sprites fix, even though they aren't quite high definition and everything, so it's not like we're out of options yet. Let's hope they work on the fighting mechanics and optimize their network code in order to not embarrass the fuck out of their fans.
Brazillian Cara wrote:... well, in all fairness, the first one DID have (...) a cooler final boss (despite his cheapness).
You mean Onslaught was actually cheaper than Abyss, or the other way around?