Here be dragons

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Re: Here be dragons

Post by plasticwingsband »

Crowbar wrote:
Rob-Bert wrote:It's a movie. Get the fuck over it.
Given that I make a living from animation, and take alot of pride in my work, I'm going to tell you to go fuck yourself.
:roll:

Yeah, it's a movie. It's a family movie. It's produced by Disney. Why wouldn't the protagonist be brought back from the brink by a kiss from his true robot love?

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Crowbar wrote:Given that I make a living from animation, and take alot of pride in my work, I'm going to tell you to go fuck yourself.
Of course you realize you just told off somebody else who is currently in the process of becoming an animator and who also takes pride in what he does.

So yeah. It's a movie. An animated movie. Animated movies don't have to make every single ounce of sense. If you're gonna get annoyed over a theatrical element like the "kiss of life" you may as well bitch that the movie stars a googly-eyed robot with a personality. Those don't exist in real life, do they?

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

They're not cliched to death and back, shot again, resurrected, fed through an industrial-sized meat-grinder, glued back together, frozen in nitrogen, shattered, reheated, eaten and regurgitated.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Wow, I totally missed the context of Rob-bert's post.

You have my sincerest apologies. I thought you were making a sweeping "Movies don't matter, and are thus not worth arguing about at all" statement.

I need to stop doing that.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

WE'RE ALL ANIMATORS

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

My problem's more with the concept than the plausibility. I guess I should clarify.

The way I see, they had two way to go about it: A, avoid that situation entirely, or, B, not have him magicked back.

They way they did go about is still very much a cop-out; they were trying to elicit a deep emotional response but didn't want to cross some line. It's insulting to children's intelligence that serious shit isn't serious. And to someone who somewhat recently lost a relative to the effects of Alzheimer's (which is pretty much dying twice), it is doubly insulting.

Don't try to be edgy if you're just going to puss-out at the last second. It's infuriating. No-one clapped for Tinkerbell.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Yeah I remember being extremely shocked when they even went the route they did. When eve fixes him, she replaces so many new parts that she in effect has created a brand new wall-e. "man that's awesome. How are they going to get out of this one?!" was my train of thought at the time. Their solution was disappointing to say the least.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I watched both Wall-E and How to Train Your Dragon over Easter. Wall-E felt like two movies clumsily tied together, presumably because they lost confidence in the first one's ability to sell (to be fair, they were probably right). And the best parts were definitely the ones where the humans weren't on screen. But you already knew both of those things.

I really enjoyed How to Train Your Dragon. I thought the main character was incredibly likeable and never lost personality or self-confidence throughout the whole movie, even after the slightly horrific but emotionally satisfying injury at the end. I also liked how the love interest character could have been a heterosexual male character and they would only have had to change 1 gag. It's a shame the rest of the supporting cast got absolutely no development whatsoever, but I'm not sure where they would've fitted it in anyway. The dragons were all remarkably well designed and thought-out (except for the plot-twist dragon, who raised more questions than she answered). Toothless' personality obviously owes a lot to Stitch but that's not necessarily a bad thing. The CG was fantastic, although the 3D effects failed to impress me once again. I noticed it when a ship slowly sailed into me (this happened twice, to justify the 3D effects budget I guess) and to create an ash effect, which everyone told me was fantastic but looked to me like pale grey squares had started covering the screen. It didn't detract from the experience, but if I had been the one who was paying extra for the tickets I might have been pissed off.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Anyone can do an animations, I been making animateds gifs like since 1999 or something, just add sound and voila, you have a stupid short!. What people really wants is a good story, and we havent had that in a movie since... well Lord of the rings. Sure, this is a 3 star movie, you know it was going to be a 3 star movie, maybe 3 and a half from the start, even the name said it to you. I wasnt expecting "Dragon Heart 3" or something like that, this movie was okey for children, and thats it.

But hey, dragons that dont talk, thats something...

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Wall-E was playing in the background at a party I went to last weekend. There was a small group of people watching it. Sure enough as soon as it got to the point where the humans appeared, they get up and left. Like they left the party and didn't come back.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Jesus Christ, is it really that bad?

When I first saw WALL-E, the part with the humans only made me more intrigued as to what would happen next. Yeah, the whole environmental message was pretty obvious but they still did a pretty decent job of leading up to stuff. I think that scene where the Captain finally remembers how to stand up is a pretty powerful scene for a move like this.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

On the subject of 3d: the only way to produce decent stereoscopy is with two screens, and for that you need something like this. I'm hoping that this fad of 3d movies and 3d TVs is a stepping stone.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!!

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I don't recall those being particularly 3D.

Kind of miss them, though. They were funky.