What are you playing today?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Re: What are you playing today?

Post by j-man »

Did you feed it?

btw i wrote a very long post on page 1 read it plz

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Playing Victoria: Revolutions as Persia.

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/4153 ... 536125.png

I also own Iceland, Greenland, an island off Sweden, part of the Rhineland, and I created Canada as a satellite state (spanning Saskatchewan).

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

I beat Earthbound at 4:00 AM, I played it for six days, I havent had so much fun with a rpg since Chronno trigger...

Now, my friend needs his snes back or he gonna kill me...

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I heart HeartGold.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Re: TEE ELL DEE ARR

Post by plasticwingsband »

I like Bonk's Adventure for the TG16, it was one of the four games I owned in the brief period of time when I had the system. I liked it, but it was definitely no Sonic.
j-man wrote: Castlevania Rebirth: Okay, so this is a new one. Never got into the series as a kid, mostly because finding a Nintendo console in the 90's in South East England was like finding the lost fucking city of Atlantis. That, and my brother had a Mega Drive and I had no money, so. Having only really tried the first game on the VC, I was still pretty excited for Rebirth. It's a ton better than the new Contra, and basically everything I like about 16-bit platformers; gameplay is smooth and intuitive, music's funky fresh, art style is brilliant. I went nuts at the clocktower bit with all the robots. The bosses take the piss a bit, but I'm starting to get into the whole 'Nintendo Hard' thing. Speaking of which...
You know, there is a Castlevania for the Mega Drive, although I didn't know about it when I was a kid, either. I'd recommend it, it's quite good! In fact I was actually talking about it on the previous page. Should look something like this across the pond:

You gotta play as the guy with the spear, though. The whip guy sucks!

I want to try ReBirth, but our Wii isn't hooked up to the internet and beyond that I have enough recent PS2 purchases to satisfy me for some time. I probably shouldn't spend any more money on games for a while, but it's like a sickness. If I go in to a game store and see a nice copy of something I'm even marginally interested in for a good price, I will grab it 9 times out of 10.
j-man wrote:Other than those, there's the occasional, ubiquitous trip through one of the Mega Drive Sonic titles.
I finally beat Sonic 2 (via Sonic Jam) with all of the Chaos Emeralds for the first time a few months ago. Actually, it was the first time I beat the game period, despite the fact that I've owned Sonic 2 in some form or another since I was 6 years old. Great game, one of my absolute favorites. And just for fun I did a run-through with Tails and Knuckles as well.
j-man wrote:FFXII being another (is it me, or does the whole fucking game take place in one big desert?)
You eventually get out of the desert, but yeah, there is a lot of desert in the game. I'd say try not to let it turn you off, because the game is excellent. Not too everyone's taste, but it is definitely my favorite Final Fantasy (if we're not counting Tactics).
Arcade wrote:I beat Earthbound at 4:00 AM, I played it for six days, I havent had so much fun with a rpg since Chronno trigger...

Now, my friend needs his snes back or he gonna kill me...
Earthbound is awesome! Love that game, definitely my favorite SNES RPG.

j-man

Post by j-man »

plasticwingsband wrote:You gotta play as the guy with the spear, though. The whip guy sucks!
...that's a guy? I'll check it out. The game, I mean.

Sonic 2 is transcendental. You are a man of good taste, so sure, I suppose I'll give FFXII another go. But if you get a spare however-much-1000-wii-points-costs, drop it on a copy of Castlevania Rebirth. It's real good stuff.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Apparently he is a guy! And here I was going to say something snarky about how the US version boxart wouldn't dare suggest there was a playable female character.

Blank
Now Playing: PSO2

Post by Blank »

Yay, I don't feel weird for liking FFXII anymore.

Also, recently went and played Gotcha Force. Great game, charming music too. Really wish Capcom would make a sequel one of these days. It honestly could be pretty awesome on the Wii. Its like Pokemon with arcade-style robot fighting and tons of variety with the characters. You can pretty much play as anything ranging from heroic action figures to humongous battle ships that carry turrets and other bots.

As far as portable games go, I've neglected HG/SS to play the latest Edgeworth/Phoenix Wright Investigations game. Occasionally when I'm on a trip I go for Tales of the World: Narikiri Dungeon 3, which is the only Tales of game I must have spent 300+ hours on. Its incredibly addicting for how robust the battle system really is, and until Bamco gets their stuff straight and localizes the rest of the series its the only English-friendly crossover I can enjoy.

Has anyone tried the new Perfect Dark remake? I heard its like a step above amazing. Probably going to be playing that this weekend with the crew.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

When I was going through FFXII, I could never quite tell if the game really was just a massive boring grindathon, or if I was just playing it wrong.

I picked up SEGA and Sonic All-Stars and I'm making my way through it. It seems like fun, but you probably know that already. I love Kart racers, and the tracks are gorgeous, but I'm not sure the gameplay is quite tight enough to be very satisfying at high levels of play. I guess I'll see.

Aside from that, I'm dipping into my backlog of games (Bioshock, Megaman 10, Dragon Age, CoD4) while occasionally sitting down for a solid session of Sonic Adventure DX. I've decided I want every emblem in that game. I've never been motivated to do it before, but I feel like I'm at a point in my gaming life where I'm bored talented enough to persevere through it. It means I'll have an easy source of emulated GameGear titles at my disposal as well as Metal Sonic, for the first time. Plus, I'll get to see every ugly, frustrating, and unfinished nook and cranny of what is currently my favourite 3D Sonic game. I'm excited.

HeartGold doesn't come out in the UK for over a week still, but I'm looking forward to it, as I suspect it'll be the best Pokemon game the series will ever have, and possibly the last one I ever buy.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

plasticwingsband wrote:(Loves Bloodlines)
I already mentioned Portrait of Ruin as something good I've played recently, but now I'm really recommending it to you (if you didn't play it already). It may follow the Metroidvania style inside the castle, but the portrait stage gimmick allows for some pretty different locations (including a victorian city). That, and the game is kind of a direct sequel to Bloodlines (without spoiling much, someone plays an important role).

So, yeah. Another game I played recently was Elite Beat Agents; I sprained my arm beating the final song on Hard Rock, but DAMN was it worth it.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

I actually had Portrait of Ruin a long time ago, but it was before I played Bloodlines and I ended up selling it along with my DS and all of my games a while back. I think one of my brothers might have his own copy (and both of them have DSes), so I'll check it out.

Speaking of Sonic Adventure, my Dreamcast copy won't load anymore. Every so often I get the hankering to run through the Sonic or Tails levels, but rarely anymore than that. It amazes me that 10+ years after the fact, SA remains the best 3D Sonic title. I mean I'm mostly assuming here, I stopped paying attention after Sonic Heroes. Sonic with a Sword and Sonic of Arabia and Sonic Turns Into a Werewolf have raised my ire more than anything else, so I haven't really even thought to give those a try, to be quite honest.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Sonic of Arabia was actually pretty good, but the game doesn't get interesting until you get to the third level, Evil Foundry. Then you get the Speed Break and Time Break mechanics and it's suddenly twice the game it was.

Going back to it, the only part which brings my piss to a boil is the first mission of Levitated Ruin, with the fucking wind slowing you down and chucking gargoyle statues at you. That, and the whole "you have to earn the good controls" shtick, but then again I'm one of those who plays a game religiously and perseveres through and through, so that might have something to do with it.

Speaking of which! Almost exclusively (nay, definitely exclusively) I have been playing Umihara DS since I picked it up a month and a half ago. I'd have to say I've become quite good at it! Despite having logged 705 deaths in the revolting Field 42, my progress in the game is at 145/148, requiring only me to reach and clear Field 57, and clear Field 58. Almost exactly the same as this guy, except I don't have 57 revealed yet (and thus my shorter penis counter -- for the record, G.Silver, it's (fields accessed) + (doors opened) + (endings reached); there are only 60 actual levels in the game).

Incidentally, Field 58 is the hardest one in the game, but at least I'll only have to clear it once (I had to clear 42 thrice: one for the actual ending route it guises, two more for the doors that branch out of it), and I can die as many times as I want on it with no negative implications -- it's an ending field, so I can't be kicked out due to the 30 minute rule or continue abusal.

If you have no fucking clue what the hell I'm talking about, good! You're sane.

I'm leaving the shorter, yet harder (gulp!) SFC original for later, I should have an american copy of SoulSilver arriving in the mail any day now, so I can shift my near-autistic attention focus to yet another sparkly piece of software.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

So I finally sat down with Bonk's Revenge. I enjoyed it from beginning to end. Super Genjin 2 would beat it by a mile for variety and level design, but Revenge had much more enjoyable, albeit more brutal mini-games, and better bosses. I'd tie the two, and easily recommend them, especially in this day & age where pure platformers are a dying breed.

I would pay Hudson good monies to put just those two on a DS cart.

As for Castlevania, skip Order of Ecclesia is you haven't already.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

plasticwingsband wrote:Sonic with a Sword and Sonic of Arabia and Sonic Turns Into a Werewolf have raised my ire more than anything else, so I haven't really even thought to give those a try, to be quite honest.
Haven't tried Sonic of Arabia but youtube footage makes it look at least a little less slipshod than Sonic with a Sword. (other than having to upgrade steering capability.) Sonic Turns Into a Werewolf is pretty and woefully average/repetitive, and can be safely ignored.

I take it you won't have the patience to play Charcoal Sonic w/ Gunz long enough to get to where it becomes entertaining, but Sonic in Back To The Future (Riders) is awkward but fairly competent. Avoid its' sequel like the plauge. You got rid of your DS so that saves me from saying much about Sonic BoostBoostBoost, although the second one was a bit less tepid.

This is fun :p

Neo

Post by Neo »

Oh come now. I'd much sooner call Riders "Sonic TrickStyle" than "Sonic in Back To The Future".

Now there's another game I always wanted to pick up but never got around to doing so.

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

someone saying something about Link's Awakening
That's got to be like the best Zelda game ever made. Everything is so well thought out, it's scary - the whole island feels alive, the puzzles are mind-bending and, looking at all the recent ones (slay the king of evil oh legendary hero omg), its plot is a million years ahead of its time, since it actually made me give a damn after all those poor animals from the village got wiped out as the whale woke up. This stuff is seriously bitter, and does a great job at not being emo at all.
Speaking of Sonic Adventure, my Dreamcast copy won't load anymore. Every so often I get the hankering to run through the Sonic or Tails levels, but rarely anymore than that.
Same here. It burns that much more when my copy of SA2 works flawlessly, so I get to replay City Escape, Final Chase and Green Hill until I am bored to death. Yay.

About Bonk, I remember playing B.C.Kid on Gameboy back in the day...Bonk moving slowly was actually beneficial in that game, because the screen size was pretty small. It packed a mean boss gauntlet at the end, but other than that it was a fun little platformer with a dose of personality.

The sequel (on the same system) sucked, though. It was too incoherent even for me...glad I traded it for Kirby back then.

...by the way, Kirby? I recently replayed Kirby's Adventure using an arcade stick.

It felt very masculine. It was ... fucking weird, to be frank. But really fun.
Last edited by (No Imagination) on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Neo wrote:Umikawa talk
Wow, you've done more than I ever did. I could never get myself over the big water gap in that level (I don't remember the number) that (I assume) leads to a lot of those harder stages, because I'm pretty sure I had explored everywhere else.

At the point you're at, have you seen a full-screen version of the "ending" that Kawase-san is watching on her TV? I always assumed that was the real ending, but I've never seen it anywhere, not even on Youtube, so I have to wonder if it even exists. Surely they wouldn't animate the whole thing only to skew it down to such a small size?

Blount

Post by Blount »

Currently replaying the first two seasons of Sam & Max in anticipation for The Devil's Playhouse. And a bit of Monkey Island on the side for good measure. Speaking of, LeChuck's Revenge is getting an updated re-release too, and this time the new visuals actually look good!

Neo

Post by Neo »

G.Silver wrote:At the point you're at, have you seen a full-screen version of the "ending" that Kawase-san is watching on her TV? I always assumed that was the real ending, but I've never seen it anywhere, not even on Youtube, so I have to wonder if it even exists. Surely they wouldn't animate the whole thing only to skew it down to such a small size?
You mean this? No, I haven't seen it yet. Maybe it's not on the DS version, maybe I'll see it when I reach that last ending. It does seem a bit suspicious to have the full ending song right there in the Sound Gallery and not have the actual movie, but who knows.

I can't read japanese (well not more than katakana, anyway), so I really can't tell what other people (everyone else who plays the game is japanese) say regarding it. Is it in the PSX game? SE only? Bonus disc thing? I dunno.
Blount wrote:Currently replaying the first two seasons of Sam & Max in anticipation for The Devil's Playhouse.
Ahh, I still need to play Season 2. Yes, I've fallen a bit behind, but my hard drive is pretty much full right now, so. :(

EDIT: Am I the only one who isn't getting the little redirect window after hitting reply? Firefox kinda just hangs there on a blank page.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

plasticwingsband wrote:
Speaking of Sonic Adventure, my Dreamcast copy won't load anymore. Every so often I get the hankering to run through the Sonic or Tails levels, but rarely anymore than that. It amazes me that 10+ years after the fact, SA remains the best 3D Sonic title. I mean I'm mostly assuming here, I stopped paying attention after Sonic Heroes. Sonic with a Sword and Sonic of Arabia and Sonic Turns Into a Werewolf have raised my ire more than anything else, so I haven't really even thought to give those a try, to be quite honest.
I've always been an avid defender of SA1 amidst the recent criticism it's been getting. So when my buddy said he'd like to try it out, I excitedly booted it up and watched him start a new game. He clipped through the floor of emerald coast twice on his first run and hasn't touched it since.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Link's Awakening
Man, I used to think I was being cool and rebellious by saying this was my favorite Zelda. You guys are killing my image.

j-man

Post by j-man »

Radrappy wrote:I've always been an avid defender of SA1 amidst the recent criticism it's been getting. So when my buddy said he'd like to try it out, I excitedly booted it up and watched him start a new game. He clipped through the floor of emerald coast twice on his first run and hasn't touched it since.
I've heard a lot of talk about this, but it has literally never happened to me. Ever. Then again, you simpletons actually managed to get stuck on That Barrel. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Hey man I never had any problem with the drums. Not even when I was ten.

j-man

Post by j-man »

Good man! We should totally make a Facebook group or something.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Radrappy wrote:I've always been an avid defender of SA1 amidst the recent criticism it's been getting. So when my buddy said he'd like to try it out, I excitedly booted it up and watched him start a new game. He clipped through the floor of emerald coast twice on his first run and hasn't touched it since.
Where did he clip through? You need to smack some sense into this friend and try again.