What are you playing today?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Re: What are you playing today?

Post by FlashTHD »

https://www.srb2.org/2014/03/version-2-1-release/

It's baaaaaack. There aren't as many new levels as the last major overhaul of SRB2 in 2009, but there's entirely new special stages (NiGHTS mode finally achieves its intended purpose), tune-ups for the existing levels, and way more changes under the hood than the changelog mentions. Have at it!

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Related?? SRB2 Super Mario 3D World mod:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4PCZHZ1jZ0

I would say somebody got in my head and plucked this right out except they thought stuffing it into a mod of a Doom mod was the way to go. I appreciate their dedication but I wish they'd upgrade to Unity or something. Because this + curved surfaces is the Sonic game I want to play.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

G.Silver wrote:I appreciate their dedication but I wish they'd upgrade to Unity or something.
Just like magic, huh.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

So I just started playing Monster World 4. After the first intro dungeon, the game really picks up and gets really fun. The controls are solid and you got this little flying blob that does a lot of cool gimmicks. He pretty much allows you to double jump, or use him to fly like a zelda chicken or use him to press buttons and things. He's pretty cool and he is fun to utilize.

I like it better than the other two monster world games on the genesis collection on xbla. I may need to give the genesis version of Monster World 1 a second try but I could not get into it because the gameplay is a lot slower and more like an RPG. Personally I like how fast MW4 feels and how it is now more of a platformer than RPG.

One problem with these games though is that they do not explain where to go well. I would have been wondering around the towns for hours if it weren't for youtube walkthroughs. And it is not that I am not skilled enough to play the game but it really sends you on out of the way tasks that are not very coherent. For instance, you can't start this dungeon until you feed your little monster a fruit. So at first I thought I had to talk to some random villager (there are like 20 people in the town) and then buy it. It turns out the way to get this fruit is you have to glide your character over this fence into this area on the top right corner that looks like it is blocked off, then double jump over the fence, to get to this area. Game logic back in the 16 bit days were pretty confusing, I guess. I mean, I complain about video games these days "hand holding" the players to much with directions, but man, some of these older games could make absolutely no sense in terms of getting from point A to point B.

Anyways, MW4 is pretty great so far. I recommend people give it a try if they haven't already.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

It's best to approach MWIV as a "Metroidvania" rather than just a platformer. You're supposed to think of the areas that were previously inaccessible whenever a new ability is gained. Failing that, enjoy exploration for exploration's sake.

Also, you have impeccable taste, sir.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

So I bought a Wii U Playstation 4! I'll be frank: I never owned a PS3. Or a PS2. Or a Vita. The extent of my knowledge of the PS brand is the first one (my favourite console) and the PSP (good for Patapon n' not much else). I... can't say I'm loving this one too much. I mean, it's obviously much too early in the generation to give a real opinion, but at least I had some fun with the Wii U within the first 6 months (never once afterwards, though). The hardware seems fine and all - it's the most powerful of the three current-gen systems, right? That doesn't really hold much weight for me when the PS1 was pretty weak yet had some of the best-looking games I've ever seen, to say nothing of the DS. Anyways, here are some of the games I've played on it:

inFamous: Second Son: Never played an inFamous game before, but I was given a tip that this was a reboot of sorts. It's alright... the sandboxes are massive and the graphics and story are quite good, but man! The combat is awful! You get like, four powers that all do the same thing; punch, shoot with lousy aim, dash, and the big "finisher" move that clears the screen of enemies. You can also upgrade these powers, but you'd better spread it on thick because sometimes the game forces you to use one power and locks away all the others! Oh, you invested all of your points into video? Sorry, you're gonna have to do this boss fight with concrete. It's really frustrating when you go from an overpowered badass to a scrappy weakling for many mandatory parts of the game.

Resogun: This is a pretty decent shooter. Feels a bit like a modern Gradius, with simple power-ups and grandiose bosses and the like. Not really a whole lot to say, but the graphics are nice and there is an online co-op mode (no local!). For my money (alright, it was free on PS+) this is the best game I've played on PS4, though it really is quite short.

Mercenary Kings: Like every game with art by Paul Robertson, excellent graphics and music, shit gameplay. Co-op Metal Slug sounds like a great idea, but whoops! Terrible controls and the splitscreens are embarrassingly small, to the point of being completely unplayable. Nice try, Tribute, but I think you're better off making Breakout RPGs.

Netflix: I don't think the PS4 keeps a record of how many hours you've put into a program, but I'm certain this one has taken up at least 75% of my time with the PS4. It's a very good version of Netflix, it introduced me to the awesomeness of Orange is the New Black and The Boondocks, and the much less awesomeness of Trigun: Badlands Rumble. But I can watch Netflix on any of my devices, Sony! Netflix is not a selling point for your $400 box.

As a fitting conclusion to this tale, triple-A PS4 games now cost $70 in Canada. Thanks a lot, SCEI.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Maaan I guess I am still happy to have backed Mercenary Kings on KS but I sure didn't care for it when I actually got to play it. I like to think that people who appreciate crafting would have a more forgiving approach to it.

Curious what was better about the WiiU's first six months than what came after? There aren't exactly tons of great games but it seems like all the best stuff came out late last year. And of course, Netflix was there the whole time! :)

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

G.Silver wrote:Curious what was better about the WiiU's first six months than what came after? There aren't exactly tons of great games but it seems like all the best stuff came out late last year. And of course, Netflix was there the whole time! :)
It had New Super Mario Bros U and Nintendo Land, which were both excellent party games. To be honest, I hated Wonderful 101 and Sonic Lost World, don't care about DKC or Pikmin, and completely forgot about 3D World! It was very good, but it is only one good game, and the first six months had two.

And Netflix on Wii U boots up embarrassingly slowly and has an awful interface. :sad:

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

If you like good party games, then look into Towerfall Ascension and Sportsfriends (coming this Tuesday). My friends demand to play Towerfall every time they come over now.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Pixel's Kero Blaster just came out today!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej2AtlVNvjM

I think it's really nice, so far! It's a real departure from Cave Story, being a linear action game, but has a lot of the same charm.

You can get it for iOS or for Windows, and the Windows version requires that you buy it through this "Playism" thing but it's a minor hassle to play a game like this, I think. It's DRM free so apparently Playism is just the money-taker (I used PayPal anyway), you'll never need to log in to play it or anything like that.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

So who's playing mario kart? Want to race me and possibly someone else? My Nnid is Radrappy. Goddamn two player online is a blessing.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I got a Wii U and Mario Kart this weekend. Haven't played it that much yet but enjoying it so far. If anyone wants to add me my NNID is Gazza81.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

Is Mario Kart 8 actually good? As someone who thought Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii blowed goats?

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I'm gsilverfish, look me up!

I also didn't like Double Dash and didn't really like MK Wii much either (though I played it a lot anyway). But I do like MKDS a lot and MK8 is a definite "number 2" on my list of Mario Karts.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

So yesterday I started playing Code of Princess, tempted by promises of a quirky script/cast, a beat-them-up with RPG elements, it being a spiritual successor of sorts to Guardian Heroes, and a cut price of R$35,00.

I've been enjoying it quite a bit in spite of some pretty glaring flaws, like the fact completionists like me end up playing each stage four times (one for each character), and the repetitive (yet otherwise decent) music. And it also takes until the third stage for the oddity to truly get in gear, in no small part thanks to the zombie necromancer.

And if I ultimately regret buying this... hey, it was a fifteen-something dollar game.

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

Popcorn wrote:Is Mario Kart 8 actually good? As someone who thought Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii blowed goats?
I'm having some fun with it, though it's not exactly setting my world on fire. The courses are pretty good, the game's visually appealing, and the soundtrack is well done. On the downside, though, they reworked battle mode such that it's not in arenas anymore -- you just use tracks as an arena. (The game starts people in different places and facing different directions.) It's still early to say with certainly, but I'm enjoying 8 more than MarioKart Wii so far -- though I didn't think Wii was that bad. As with most MarioKart games, I think a lot may depend on who you have to play it with.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I'm enjoying Mario Kart 8 so far, but if you didn't like Double Dash!! or Wii, Mario Kart 8 is not going to change your mind on the series.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Popcorn wrote:Is Mario Kart 8 actually good? As someone who thought Double Dash and Mario Kart Wii blowed goats?
It depends entirely on what you didn't like about those games.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I got a Wii-U. Sort of a treat for the house, since we're kind of sick of F-Zero GX. I never owned a Wii (at least not for long) so it's also an opportunity for me to catch up on a generation of underwhelming Nintendo instalments.

I played a lot of Double Dash, for some reason, but I never liked it. I hated the two-characters thing (just a gimmick that confuses everything), I thought the cars were stupid, the graphics sucked, the music really sucked (this was the age of Nintendo midi trumpets), and the whole thing was kind of sickly. Mario Kart Wii I played a few times and found stagnant and dull, symptomatic of a Nintendo afraid to evolve.

But! Mario Kart 8 is good. I love the way it looks and feels, all chunky and satisfying and detailed, and the karts actually feel like tactile vehicles with traction for the first time since Mario Kart 64. I also like its lack of bullshit; the different kinds of terrain feel like a sensible expansion rather than a gimmick. I was impressed by how simple and fun it is to join an online game (take note, Halo 4). At the same time, it hasn't blown my socks up. I think my biggest objection to it is baked into the Mario Kart formula: it isn't actually ever fun to be hit by a shell (or a lightning bolt or a bomb or whatever). It's always just annoying.

What I really want is a new F-Zero, HD, online, great big draw distance, minimalist, unforgiving, 1000mph, no shells.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Popcorn wrote:What I really want is a new F-Zero, HD, online, great big draw distance, minimalist, unforgiving, 1000mph, no shells.
Try to picture the logistical nightmare of physics and gameplay as demandingly precise as GX, with netcode trying to manage lag in that environment. Online ain't gonna happen.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I am starting to wonder if I should also go back and pick up 7. I tried a friend's copy a while back and it didn't win me over at all, but I really like the 3DS courses in MK8. Are those levels as good in 7 as they are in 8? Piranha Plant Slide is definitely a favorite.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

FlashTHD wrote:
Popcorn wrote:What I really want is a new F-Zero, HD, online, great big draw distance, minimalist, unforgiving, 1000mph, no shells.
Try to picture the logistical nightmare of physics and gameplay as demandingly precise as GX, with netcode trying to manage lag in that environment. Online ain't gonna happen.
BS.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

For what it's worth, I also am really enjoying Mario Kart 8, and I hated 7 so much that I stopped halfway through 150cc and sold it.

Mechanically, it's very similar to 8, and the track design is great, but I found the items to be way more unforgivingly cheap and frequent and the AI catchup to be too strong. 8 feels like a version of that game refined to be a liiiittle more rewarding of skill and a little less bullshity. (Although there's still more bullshit than I'd like.)

Also you don't have the option of playing through the grand prix in two-player with your slightly less-skilled friend so he can absorb all the abuse from the AI drivers.

Majestic Joey

Post by Majestic Joey »

I want to get keri blaster, but I think my older iPhone does not support it. when I try to download the game it says I need update 7.1 or something but my phone says it is updated to it's limit already. Totally lame.

I finished working on my graphic novel (took about 2 years) and I am getting it ready for print. Now that I got that done I finally have time to finish some video games!

Got around to finishing monster world 4. That game has some really great last dungeons. I liked the little Pepelogoo creature that helped you during the platforming throughout the game. And the fact that you can't use him in the last dungeons makes you realize how awesome that little creature was and also made the last areas significantly more difficult and fun. I wish that was a mechanic done more in video games. Instead of having a ton of items to help you as you progress through the game, they should slowly take away all your items at the end to add difficulty. Overall it was a great game.

Also I replayed Bayonetta. That game is so much better during the second play through once you are good at it. I could appreciate the polish and gameplay mechanics so much more the second time. It's amazing just how well that game controls and how fun it is. I still have no idea what the story in that game is though.

Next I plan on playing Metal Gear Rising Revengence since I never got around to playing it. I hope it's good since I liked all the other platinum games except Anarchy Reigns.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

Esrever wrote:(Although there's still more bullshit than I'd like.)
Exactly how much bullshit would you like?

Thanks for answering my question. :)