What are you playing today?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Re: What are you playing today?

Post by FlashTHD »

Ritz wrote:And come on, man, SRB2 is finished. It's only missing one zone, two acts and a few bosses. Just pretend Mystic Realm is the lock-on sequel or something.
http://wiki.srb2.org/wiki/Sonic_Robo_Bl ... evelopment - One zone (Dark City, if it doesn't get scrapped; ditto for Grand Eggship), five acts if you count the final zone, almost everything after Deep Sea is missing a boss and the SRB1 Remake has none yet (though this isn't a priority). Ok, maybe half finished is behind the mark, but it's not quite there yet :p

Mystic Realm is fun...toward the end, as those are the levels that don't necessarily feel creaky in 2.0.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

So I finally got my PSP to actually work (I think I mentioned getting one 6 months ago) and I'm thinking about trying my first Monster Hunter. Question: Monster Hunter Tri or Monster Hunter "Freedom Unite"? Monster Hunter FU (heh) is cheaper and I can take it around with me easily, but I'm prepared to invest more money into Tri if the added depth and online functions make up for it.

My current plan is to see if I can get FU for under a tenner, and if so, treat it like a demo. But any thoughts are appreciated.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

TF2 and Super Meat Boy. I had to convince my old dear of a mother that the protagonist of the latter was a tin of red paint.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

While I was out buying a few cables yesterday I picked up Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception for PSP for 10 € on a whim.
It’s very fun, although it would be even more fun if I didn’t have to lie down for half an hour after every session trying to stop being dizzy.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I got an iPhone!!

Angry Birds! I was very excited to finally try this Game of the Year contender. Boy was I disappointed!

Tiny Wings! I'm not sure what the iPhone's deal is with catapulting birds into the stratosphere, but for my money this is the most charming iPhone game I've played. It's a very simple mechanic that's pretty much impossible to expand on, so what you see is what you get, but I managed to squeeze a good 2-3 hours of play time before finally losing interest. Unlike Angry Birds, this might actually be worth the price of a brownie.

Game Developer Story! This is a scarily addicting game, but ultimately just a very long XP bar. If you like Farmville style games then this is one of the better ones (although may I recommend Gazillionaire if you enjoyed this game). My biggest complaint is the lack of input I have over the games my company makes. I can give it a silly name (usually a pun, to fit in with the rest of the in-game universe) and I can choose what kind of game it is, but unless I choose an obvious type like "Fantasy RPG" I get penalised for straying from the norm. Given that there are creativity and innovation stats in the game, it seems like it'd be logical to encourage players who focus on these stats to try and expand the limits of the industry, or something.

Hot Spring Story! The guys behind Game Dev Story attempting to make a Sim City kind of game. A bit more complex than GDS which makes it a bit harder just to pick up and play, but oddly enough it's actually a lot easier to avoid bankruptcy. You pretty much start out with a fully independent hot spring I only got close to the red once, at which point the game helpfully gave me an extra 150k yen in savings that I didn't even know I had. And I didn't need to begin with. So the only challenge comes from being the top rated Spring before the end of the 15 year time limit. It's a shame it's not a bit harder, but if you're looking for a relatively deep simulation game on the iPhone, I can recommend it.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Cave's offering some of its iPhone/iPod touch titles over there as well, check them out: http://caveinteractive.com/category/games/mobile/

The Mushihime-sama spin-off looks decent enough, I guess.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

So I've had a digital copy of Alpha Protocol sitting on Steam for a few yonks, but I haven't been able to play it because it's not available for Mac. But now that I've finally finished building my own PC, that's all changed. (Side note: I might make a thread about my 9 hour struggle getting that thing to boot, unless it's too bloggy for the rules. I took some pictures so there'll be plenty of hot, fanless action in between the walls of text).

Anyway, Alpha Protocol - I bought it because it was on sale and sounded right up my alley (I really enjoyed what I played of Deus Ex, but after 10 years it has not aged well), despite knowing it had been roundly smashed by the critics. Quotes like 'there are games in their beta stage that are more complete, better designed, and more worth paying for than this mistake' spring to mind. I'm a little over 5 hours in and I'm utterly baffled by how poorly it was received. I haven't come across a single bug so I guess I'm either playing it differently or I haven't reached the shittiness yet (I'm almost done with Rome). So far it's been a great little RPG that's rewarded patience and cleverness over run and gun gameplay, which I feel is pretty appropriate for an espionage game. And it's dripping with all the trappings of the spy novel genre; you're never sure which NPCs can be trusted, pretty much all the ladies are seducable, and there's a hell of a lot of text to read through if you want to keep up with the plot (which may or may not be a bad thing - personally I enjoy it quite a lot).

I'm a bit disappointed that I can't bromance Darcy, though. There are a lot of jokey references to the various "male bonding" they've been through as well as some ambiguous tension over the email system. Plus neither of them seem like the type to be afraid of a little "rough and tumble".

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

I ignored Alpha Protocol because I'm convinced Obsidian can only make mediocre follow-ups to stellar games -- in this case to Mass Effect. Honestly, the only first-hand experience I can use as evidence is KOTOR II, but I was disappointed by that game to the point where I am extremely hesitant to try anything else of their oeuvre.

Meanwhile, I've been playing Enslaved: Odyssey to the West, which is a second-rate version of Uncharted. Go figure. Still very fun, though, if you like climbing, fighting, sneaking, shooting, and item-collecting. I like the chemistry between the game's protagonist duo -- their situation is rather simple, without much depth, but fulfilling emotionally, and with subtlety (at least so far as I've played). Certainly my favorite partner-based gameplay situation since ICO. The environment is also cool -- a sort of post-apocalyptic Seussian wilderness. The game suffers from general sloppiness, but otherwise is quite excellent, and it's too bad that it seems to have slipped under the radar.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I feel like Enslaved is becoming a game that almost everyone has played because of its solid presentation (though filled with technical issues) and how it dropped in price so quickly. There definitely is an Uncharted feel to it, even though you stick to hand-to-hand combat for the most part. I loved the atmosphere, environments, and characters. It makes me hopeful for dmc. The fact that it's smothered in sloppiness worries me though. It probably would've been a downright great game with another month's worth of development. I plan on downloading Pigsy's Perfect 10 (dlc) once I get through my current pile of unfinished games.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Kirby dreamland, the old brick gameboy one

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Arcade wrote:Kirby dreamland, the old brick gameboy one
I’ve recently replayed Dream Land, Dream Land 2, and Kirby’s Adventure on my PSP. …is it strange that I like Kirby’s Dream Land, the very first one, best of all three?

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Well you're the same guy who loves Sonic '06 and hates Super Mario Galaxy, so I guess not.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

This may be totally irrelevant to original game, but I tried out Super Star Ultra not too long ago. That game was better than what I expected.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Kirby Superstar (specifically MetaKnight's Revenge) is my favorite Kirby.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Hey... is anyone playing Child of Eden? I'd love to hear if it's a worthy follow-up to Rez.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

In honor of Sonic's 20th, I'm playing Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine.

Xyton

Post by Xyton »

Esrever wrote:Hey... is anyone playing Child of Eden? I'd love to hear if it's a worthy follow-up to Rez.
I've enjoyed my time with it so far. It's pretty similar to Rez in some ways, but it's pretty different in others, so I'm hesitant to say it is or is not a worthy follow up; your milage may vary. I like the tracer: You have a second weapon that shoots a stream of bullets rather than locking on, and some enemies can only be damaged by that (and it's the only way you can shoot down incoming bullets). It adds a bit of variety to the gameplay. The art is still really cool, but the stages each have their own style (rather than one main art style for the whole game). The Kinect control is solid, but having it won't make or break the game. Also, the bonus stage gets pretty intense. Overall I think it's worth a play if you liked Rez.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Bionic Commando (2009) is the most fun I've had with a contemporary game in a long while, I don't know why it got the flack it did. The radiation bullshit is rather taxing before you begin to appreciate the warning signs (you only get 3 seconds to react, momentum and level progress be damned) and it slapped my hand away from the cookie jar one too many times, but the level designs get a lot more spacious with progress and I wouldn't fault an otherwise rock solid action game because it doesn't take place in a sandbox.

Good thing Capcom decided to take the multiplayer servers down just now during a Steam sale! That would've been too much fun for me to handle!

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I was interested in it until it was met with a pretty harsh critical backlash. So you'd say it's worth a purchase?

Ritz
Shit Twizzler

Post by Ritz »

Yes. I've been doing multiplayer with friends through Hamachi all day and it's probably the most fun I've ever had over the internet. If not for the single player, grab it anyway and play with us.

Videos were recorded.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

So, remember that time I asked about that Disgaea port for the DS, and you guys recommended me to try something a little easier?

Well, I kind of ignored that. More than a couple of months ago, in fact.

That said, despite the repeated grinding of characters and weapons for an experience gain that is never enough, everything else - the music, story and an odd affinity towards the small army I've assembled - was more than enough to motivate me to get to the end of the main game and do a couple of the sidequests. But I think I'm going to leave it at that, since there's only so much grinding I can do before a game stops being fun. Which is another way of saying THAT BOOK BOSS IS LEVEL 3.200 WHAT THE FUCK

P.P.A.

Post by P.P.A. »

Having somewhat peculiar tastes (in case you didn't notice yet!), so far almost nothing of what has been on sale on Steam for the past week has caught my interest. And what actually did, like Assassin's Creed, I knew to be available on console as well, which is still my preferred platform. However, a few days ago a little game called Jamestown, of which I had seen a video on YouTube once, popped up, and I immediately bought it for the 4.49€ its price tag read. It's a 2D shmup in the vein of Cave games, set in the 17th century and in the British colonies, where a war is waged again the Spanish. And their Martian allies, because it's set on Mars. Yes.
 Today, being done with school now (forever; feels weird), I finally got around to trying it, and it plays very well. Graphics and music are not overly special but very charming, and there are a lot of fun missions for example requiring you to survive a certain period of time amid massive enemy fire, to gain a certain score before a time limit is over, to fly through rings and accompanying bullet hells, and so on, which are a very motivating and satisfying distraction from the main levels, of which I also have yet to see one that is too boring or too difficult. The scoring system is similarly clever, and requires you to gauge whether you want to fire your bomb equivalent when there is no need to and to receive twice the points for a certain extendible period of time, or whether you want to save it for more difficult situations but receive a lower score in return.
 It was money well spent, and I can safely suggest it to anyone who likes shmups or helping tiny redcoat sprites shoot down Martian spaceships, even if the sale is over already.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Been trying (the word trying) to beat Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. Keep dying and re-tracing my steps over and over, getting a little closer each time.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

I drew my own maps the last time I played Adventure of Link (and actually finished it!). Made the whole process a lot easier, especially the Death Mountain cave maze. I was actually surprised by how deceptively simple the Great Palace layout is once you've got the most direct route and all the pitfall rooms figured out.