So... Portal 2

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Shadow Hog

Re: So... Portal 2

Post by Shadow Hog »

I dunno, he seems his usual self here.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

But Avatar is crap.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Everything ever is crap. Some people just refuse to admit it.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

I dunno, having a generally fulfilling life and liking yourself and the people around you seems pretty okay.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

That's just what they want you to think.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

So if you thought the last ARG was insane, the current one is probably blowing your mind. In case anyone has missed it, clues have been hidden across twelve indie games (sold as a special offer on Steam in the form of the "PortalTwo Sack") which are being regularly updated as the ARG progresses. As an example of a single clue in one of the games, coordinates were found in one of the updated levels of Toki Tori which directed players into the middle of the ocean. Flip the longitude and latitude around, and you got the co-ordinates of the developers' HQ, in the Netherlands. So one brave fellow went all the way to the offices, only to find that they had been closed and locked. Instead of giving up, he climbed up the side of the building in the middle of the street and took pictures from the first floor's roof, where he found a poster containing a coded message. Turns out, the development team had been filming him the entire time.

Other highlights include the ongoing microblog drama, the Gabe Newell puzzle image (containing a possible new release date of April 15th), and various creepy messages extracted from Amnesia: The Dark Descent (that are, sadly, not very well chronicled on the Wiki).

As if that wasn't enough, there's also a fairly sinister Portal 2 comic that's entirely unrelated to the ARG, as well as a series of promotional videos on Valve's youtube channel that aren't quite as unrelated to the ARG as they may have seemed.

This is possibly the nerdiest thing I've ever seen. Yet somehow, it's hard not to get sucked in. The game looks pretty good too, with one of the best trailers I've ever seen for a game.

Farmer
Now Playing: work work work work work

Post by Farmer »

Probably old, but Chell's new design kind of threw me for a second. Boobies are great and all, but I'm not so sure about the more sexualized nerd-pandering.

CM August

Post by CM August »

I dunno, doesn't look like there's much to see.

Unless bare arms inflame people's victorian sensibilities.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

She's stripped to a tank top because she's running around and working up a sweat. She, like most women, also has breasts. These two facts are only 'pandering' if you've never seen a woman wearing a tank top before.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

I thought the main character of the first game was just a generic model of a woman they had and threw in without thinking.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

It's not the bust/clothes so much as it is the face for me. Chell in Portal 1 looked sorta plain-ish to me. This new one looks like one of those Victoria's Secret models.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I'm sure it looks better in motion (I'm not bothered by it in the latest teaser, for instance) but I'm really bothered by the way her jumpsuit is tied at the waist and sort of hanging off her. It looks ready to come undone and just drop off and trip her while she's running.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

It does look a bit nerd-pander-y to me, I must confess. Then again, I'm not attracted to women.

It looks like the ARG has been building up to a surprise early release on the 15th, by the way. For Steam users only, possibly only the owners of the potato sack, possibly only people who have all the hidden potatoes.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Delphine wrote:She's stripped to a tank top because she's running around and working up a sweat. She, like most women, also has breasts. These two facts are only 'pandering' if you've never seen a woman wearing a tank top before.
Wait, that's what I was gonna say, except in a noticeably less coherent manner. What's going on.
Segaholic2 wrote:It's not the bust/clothes so much as it is the face for me. Chell in Portal 1 looked sorta plain-ish to me. This new one looks like one of those Victoria's Secret models.
Seriously? She looked downright ugly in the first one, and I wouldn't consider this one particularly attractive, either. She just finally looks human.

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

Crisis wrote:It does look a bit nerd-pander-y to me, I must confess. Then again, I'm not attracted to women.
Fucking EWWW GROSS

This isn't the first time I've seen someone complain about Chell's (totally unisex) redesign, and it still isn't making any sense to me. As if anyone ever sprung a boner watching the Olympics.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

I think she should have massive breasts in a tight purple latex suit to signify her heroism.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Well, I think the decision to half-undo the jumpsuit is a pretty rational one thematically - the jumpsuit, despite being the only colourful object in the test chambers, seems intended to dehumanise the test subjects by making them uniform, essentially reverting them to a face and a suit. (Which worked quite well with Chell's "unorthodox" facial appearance by making her even more of an outlier, although that idea seems to have gone out the window.) Now, the open jumpsuit gives Chell a bit more personality, highlighting her rebelliousness and femininity.

Or it could be an excuse to show sweaty tits, which I gather is a fetish or something.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Neo wrote:Seriously? She looked downright ugly in the first one, and I wouldn't consider this one particularly attractive, either. She just finally looks human.
1) I never said I found her attractive.
2) Your level of attraction to a digital female is utterly irrelevant to what I was saying, which was a quantitative comparison of facial similarities.
3) Compare the previously posted image with this first-page image result for "Victoria's Secret model". If you say there is absolutely no similarity whatsoever, then you are either blind or a liar.

Also you seem to utterly contradict your own post from the previous page:
Neo wrote:That's funny. I never considered Chell to be ugly until I saw her in the new suit!

CM August

Post by CM August »

Crisis wrote:Well, I think the decision to half-undo the jumpsuit is a pretty rational one thematically
Yes, you could see it as symbolic - Chell's gradually shedding the appearance of 'test subject' as she busts out of captivity. That's the first impression I got from the image anyway.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Segaholic2 wrote:
Neo wrote:Seriously? She looked downright ugly in the first one, and I wouldn't consider this one particularly attractive, either. She just finally looks human.
1) I never said I found her attractive.
2) Your level of attraction to a digital female is utterly irrelevant to what I was saying, which was a quantitative comparison of facial similarities.
3) Compare the previously posted image with this first-page image result for "Victoria's Secret model". If you say there is absolutely no similarity whatsoever, then you are either blind or a liar.
Tell you what. Next time I won't read your post, so it will never be possible for me to reply to it, apparently misunderstanding every single word you said.
Segaholic2 wrote:Also you seem to utterly contradict your own post from the previous page:
Neo wrote:That's funny. I never considered Chell to be ugly until I saw her in the new suit!
Fair enough. I was more or less just making a joke when I said that, because the baby blue suit looked hideous, but there's also the fact that the design for Portal 2 changes the scales and makes the original look even worse by comparison.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

Huh, yeah. She looks like a VS model because she's not real, and VS photos are airbrushed to oblivion. The vacant expression doesn't help either.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

CM August wrote:
Crisis wrote:Well, I think the decision to half-undo the jumpsuit is a pretty rational one thematically
Yes, you could see it as symbolic - Chell's gradually shedding the appearance of 'test subject' as she busts out of captivity. That's the first impression I got from the image anyway.
Haw.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench

Post by Delphine »

I see you are the sort that a woman in a tank top is pandering to.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

What? No. Not even I'm that prudish. I just can't resist unintended wordplay. Y'know, 'cause they're saying her 'bust" is now noticeable and therefore "out" there.

*cough*

So how 'bout that Portal 2.

Neo

Post by Neo »

I don't know what's worse, people making dumb boob jokes or people taking dumb boob jokes way too seriously.