Buying NiGHTS. Yes or No?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Buying NiGHTS. Yes or No?

Post by Opa-Opa »

I just found a brand new NiGHTS for the Sega Saturn very cheap (R$ 30. something like 15 dollars). I wonder if it's worth it.

I don't have a Saturn, so I'd be buying it just for the sake of having the original game, with box, manual and everything.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Re: Buying NiGHTS. Yes or No?

Post by Crazy Penguin »

No point in owning a game you can't play. Buy NiGHTS and a Saturn.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Post by plasticwingsband »

You should have a Saturn anyway. And as a Sega fan, I think NiGHTS is something you need to experience.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Opa-Opa wrote:I just found a brand new NiGHTS for the Sega Saturn very cheap (R$ 30. something like 15 dollars). I wonder if it's worth it.

I don't have a Saturn, so I'd be buying it just for the sake of having the original game, with box, manual and everything.
Are un-used, over-a-decade-old games common in stores down there? I have to do a double-take when I see a GameCube game still in its shrink wrap.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:
Opa-Opa wrote:I just found a brand new NiGHTS for the Sega Saturn very cheap (R$ 30. something like 15 dollars). I wonder if it's worth it.

Are un-used, over-a-decade-old games common in stores down there? I have to do a double-take when I see a GameCube game still in its shrink wrap.
Nope. They're actually very very hard to come by.

Ok, I'll buy it. R$30 is probably less than I spend in a night out, so I think it's worth it.
If I know myself I wouldn't be able to sleep at night and would probably end up buying one used and not as cheap...

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

plasticwingsband wrote:You should have a Saturn anyway. And as a Sega fan, I think NiGHTS is something you need to experience.
Nights really is an experience.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I got lucky and found a new, CIB NiGHTS/3D controller bundle for like $20 several years ago. What a steal.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I've been meaning to replay old NiGHTS, but I seem to have lost my saturn A/V cables when I moved to Vancouver. Boo hiss!

M.C.Dillinger
Now Playing: Persona 4 Golden/Megaman Maverick Hunter X/TF2
Location: Master Tails Doll comes from a place where such things are meaningless

Post by M.C.Dillinger »

If you're getting a Saturn try to find a copy of DARIUS GAIDEN. NiGHTS and DARIUS GAIDEN where the two games I played the most on my Sega Saturn (and astal I used to play that occasionally to).

DARIUS GAIDEN is my favorite shoot em' ups ever! (As well as giga wing) it has delightfully trippy graphics and music, big firepower (but not as big as giga wing which is also my favorite), and the strangest goofiest enemy design since Doom.
I mean it when I say good enemy design, your enemies aren't other spaceships there ROBOTIC SEA CREATURES! FROM OUTER SPACE! And halfway through the game you go in an acid trip. Do I need to say anything else?

Edit: actually 1943: Battle of Midway and its sequels are also my favorite.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I own Darius Gaiden - it's fun, but a bit too hard for my tastes.

As far as my favorite shmup goes, it's Radiant Silvergun, another Saturn title - but it costs like $200 to legitimately own, plus you either must mod your Saturn or get an Action Replay 4-in-1 (a good value, btw).

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

I managed to snatch a brand new Dreamcast Sonic Adventure 2 for 45 greens (69.50 total including shipping), I feel lucky as hell since most every other deal is either more expensive or doesn't ship all the way down here. In fact, and according to USPS's Track & Confirm witchcraft, it's waiting for me over at customs. Still waiting for my jump packs, First-Class Mail International sucks balls and I hate it when it's the only option (although it's better than nothing).

Also, I got a Japanese Sonic Adventure 1 for DC some two or three years ago. Entirely useless, but it was really dirt cheap.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Segaholic2 wrote:I got lucky and found a new, CIB NiGHTS/3D controller bundle for like $20 several years ago. What a steal.
Yeah, back when I was in High School (and probably around the time I first started coming to The GHZ), I managed to pick up a new complete copy (with the controller) on eBay for right around that price. There were actually quite a few floating around on the internet at that time. Don't know if that's changed in recent years, though.

Adam

Post by Adam »

Same here. The NEO Green Hill Zone actually influenced a lot of my (parents') purchases way back in the day, about ten years ago now. I had a Sega Saturn, NiGHTS + 3-D controller bundle, Burning Rangers, Sonic Jam, Sonic R, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining Force III...

Anyone ever get the opportunity to play Christmas NiGHTS? I remember it looking awesome, if only for the "Sonic into Dreams..." minigame.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

I own it, yes. It's rather underwhelming.

Then again, NiGHTS as a whole didn't ever really do a whole lot for me. I tend to like seeing new areas, not going through the same areas repeatedly for score. I'll admit that I love the feel of the game - the art direction, the music, the core gameplay; all lends itself to a magical feel - but otherwise, it gets old rather quickly. Also, Stick Canyon Course 4 can die in a fire.

plasticwingsband
ASSMAN

Adam wrote:Anyone ever get the opportunity to play Christmas NiGHTS? I remember it looking awesome, if only for the "Sonic into Dreams..." minigame.
I own it, and it is awesome. I can get absolutely insane scores on Elliot's level (which is actually just Spring Valley, but backwards). The way they moved around the items means, if you're good enough, you can endlessly chain the first "section" of the dream. I ended up with something like a 300+ link/chain (whatever it's called) combo.

I finally remembered to play it on Christmas this year, and it was lovely. Sonic into Dreams is pretty nifty. There's a ton of other stuff on the disc, too. My favorite is the A-Life indicator (?), it'll show you how much the Nightopians in both NiGHTS and Christmas NiGHTS love/hate you, how many you have, how many are Mepians, etc. It's a cool little feature.