GHZ Museum/Encyclopedia fact checking & ect. thread

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Protodude

Re: GHZ Museum/Encyclopedia fact checking & ect. thread

Post by Protodude »

Damnit, I just had to go and hit refresh....

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Peanut butter jelly time GIF, et cetera. :samba:

Cuckooguy
LEGEND
Now Playing: Sonic Generations 3DS, Asura's Wrath

Found a Sonic cameo not listed in the cameos section

Post by Cuckooguy »

Was looking into Sega games and I found out Sonic has a cameo as a large statue in Spikeout: Battle Street for the X-Box. You can find it in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOXWEBuD ... re=related

and the Sonic cameo starts at 7 minutes in.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

What's more, there seems to be artwork plastered on the walls I've never seen before. The one sitting down looks very Oshima-ish, no?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Ok this has little to do with the site, but I just stumbled upon it: Gibbon's Carnival Night barrel picture is on TVTropes. Gave me a laugh.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

That Carnival Night picture is going to be my legacy. Which I have mixed feelings about.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I saw that artwork elsewhere before and had the urge to chew out its artist for giving Sonic defined joints.

:neutral:

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

It's not Sonic. It's a fan character named Elbows.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I now propose we make Elbows the GHZ mascot.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I'm for it. It's not like we'd have to change anything.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

So I recently perused an art book called Art: From Cave Paintings to Street Art blahblahfuckinglongtitle and came across this under East Asian Art:

"The central image is one of the early versions of [Takashi Murakami's] signature character 'Mr. DOB', which he created in 1993. An amalgamation of Doraemon [...] and video game character Sonic the Hedgehog [...] the Mr. DOB character appears in many of Murakami's works and has permeated Japanese Society sufficiently to become a ubiquitous commodity"

I also stumbled upon him in a kids' encyclopedia (don't judge me!) of fictional and non-fictional robots. Interestingly, though Sonic is mentioned, the fact he fights robots isn't so much as alluded to. Incidentally, the book completely neglects Rockman/Mega Man and Tetsuo Atom/Astro Boy!

So basically, even when I try to broaden my horizons, the little blue bastard still plagues me like some kind of Gypsy curse.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I just noticed that the Encyclopedia is gone. When I tried to go there I got a 404 page. What happened?

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

It's been gone since the (highly unsustainable) wiki was deleted. Browse this instead. Gibbon had it current up to Unleashed.

How is GG! doing anyway?

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Today is his birthday. That much I do know. He hasn't posted since June or logged on since August.

If you're reading this, Happy Birthday, GG!

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Kinda out-of-the-blue question, but is there a creator credit for Fang? Judging by the similarities between him and the Battle Kukku, I'm guessing they're by the same person. But Triple Trouble and Tails' Adventures share two artist: Nobuhiko Honda and Shinchi Higashi. So, which (if either) is it?

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

So a bit of searching on my lonesome I came across this from (where else?) an old SonicRetro thread that I figured I must of dreamed up since it's not on their fucking wiki for whatever reason:

http://www.tssznews.com/2009/01/29/toum ... -sniper-2/
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/toumart

Apparently it's neither! (unless "Touma" is a pseudonym!?) I just wish I could navigate that damn blog!

The thing is, whenever I get the urge to ogle DC/Marvle/WhateverCo.'s IP stables, I end up way more interested in the people behind the characters than their overblown walls-of-text bios. Why isn't this the same with video games, particular one's with such diverse talent pools involved?

Now, who did design the GBK? All, hell, why not find out who was/were behind Witchcart & Co. while we're at it?

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Here's one for the cameo page that I'm sure Gibbon would be interested in knowing!

So, I was emulating some really old PC98 dating sims (mainly to rip the MP3s because they are often quite good), and who would I happen to see in Paradise Heights 2?

Why, it's Sonic! I found this quite strange, as it's not documented on any Sonic fansite, and I don't think Sonic was particularly popular in Japan around the time of PH2's release.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

So I recently found a relatively neat-o compilation of Mad Magazine covers for dirt cheap and found this within:

http://www.madcoversite.com/mad389.html

And found this which was published afterwards (the book being from 2000):

http://www.madcoversite.com/mad457.html

His inclusion in the '99 is emblematic of the Dreamcast according to the book. I haven't read through either of these so I can't say if there's anything else pertaining to him. Interesting that the issue from '05 uses Classic (as it were) Sonic. 'Though, I imagine that it's 'cause of Gems Collection (the Jam images therein being the "inspiration") which was his newest title out at the time.

Kinda disappointing considering the treatment Pac-Man, the Mario Bros., etc, received. Neither are dedicated or betray any effort fitting an icon that frequents Macy's Thanksgiving parade.

I haven't seen any other Sonic sites mention these (and who would blame them?), but I only visit very few of them anyways. (this more Retro's thing but I'm too goddamn lazy to ever jump through their membership hoops)

ecch.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I need a small favor from someone who owns the Gamecube version of SA2. Last week I got back to writing my long-delayed guide on the location of the hidden animals (the ones that give you an extra life if you collect them all). Somewhere in the last 4 years Retro beat me to the punch, but they're missing at least one, their descriptions are poor, and they only seem to have checked the Dreamcast. I've just finished going through both the Dreamcast and Steam versions and I found that several of the Dreamcast animals are completely missing from the Steam version, particularly ones that pop out of items that you pick up like the cardboard boxes in Security Hall - either the level will be missing all of these animals or none of them. It seems like a glitch rather than a design choice, but there are two other cases of animals that are out in the open being missing and one case of one being moved to a different platform a considerable distance away.

I'd like someone to check for one of the missing animals on the Gamecube to confirm that this isn't some glitch unique to the PC port. If you've got everything unlocked, the easiest one to check is in Shadow's last level. As soon as you get off the rail you start on, turn around and go to the back of the platform and you'll find a small box that you can pick up. If no animal appears when you pick it up then I'm ok, otherwise I guess I have to play through that version too (unless one of you feels the urge to replay the game). I suspect the XBLA version will match Steam, but if anyone wants to check that too I'd feel better.

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

Frieza2000 wrote:I need a small favor from someone who owns the Gamecube version of SA2. Last week I got back to writing my long-delayed guide on the location of the hidden animals (the ones that give you an extra life if you collect them all). Somewhere in the last 4 years Retro beat me to the punch, but they're missing at least one, their descriptions are poor, and they only seem to have checked the Dreamcast. I've just finished going through both the Dreamcast and Steam versions and I found that several of the Dreamcast animals are completely missing from the Steam version, particularly ones that pop out of items that you pick up like the cardboard boxes in Security Hall - either the level will be missing all of these animals or none of them. It seems like a glitch rather than a design choice, but there are two other cases of animals that are out in the open being missing and one case of one being moved to a different platform a considerable distance away.

I'd like someone to check for one of the missing animals on the Gamecube to confirm that this isn't some glitch unique to the PC port. If you've got everything unlocked, the easiest one to check is in Shadow's last level. As soon as you get off the rail you start on, turn around and go to the back of the platform and you'll find a small box that you can pick up. If no animal appears when you pick it up then I'm ok, otherwise I guess I have to play through that version too (unless one of you feels the urge to replay the game). I suspect the XBLA version will match Steam, but if anyone wants to check that too I'd feel better.
I just checked it in the GameCube version; no animal popped out when I lifted the box.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Great, thanks Doc!

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I was playing through Sonic 2 the other night, and I was reminded of a question I've always wondered: Just what the hell is Potosu supposed to be?

Most of the other badniks are based on animals of some sort, so I've wondered if he isn't some sort of hunkered-down bear or iridescent beetle or turtle or whatnot. There isn't actually something it's based on, is there?

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

Wombatwarlord777 wrote:I was playing through Sonic 2 the other night, and I was reminded of a question I've always wondered: Just what the hell is Potosu supposed to be?

Most of the other badniks are based on animals of some sort, so I've wondered if he isn't some sort of hunkered-down bear or iridescent beetle or turtle or whatnot. There isn't actually something it's based on, is there?
He looks to me like the other turtlebots in the level, just squeezed into a little helicopter contraption.

Don't fucking ask me what bullshit they did to deserve such punishment.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

Wow, I never really noticed before that they were turtles with propeller helmets. I always thought they were green robot men with black robot pants or something.

Locit
News Guy
Now Playing: Breath of Fire IV

Post by Locit »

I'm pretty sure that's what they are! The turtlebots/dawsons are have a green/grey/yellow colorscheme, but pototsus also have that weird, flesh-colored face and arms, plus what looks like a nose.