GHZ Museum/Encyclopedia fact checking & ect. thread

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Arcade

Re: GHZ Museum/Encyclopedia fact checking & ect. thread

Post by Arcade »

I been playing Heroes recently, mostly because it looks cute...

Neo

Post by Neo »

K2J wrote:It's probably the timing over anything. We were braced for an out-of-character, angsty experience when playing Shadow, whereas we were expecting more classic platforming action from Heroes. If they had billed Heroes as a beat-em-up, it probably wouldn't have been so bad.
If the characters are still twitchy and seem to keep wanting to hop off the ground while casually running around, then the game still sucks.

I don't have a problem with Sonic Heroes' gameplay style (execpt okay, maybe the Special Stages), but the sheer fiddly physics just make me not have fun.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I'd say there were only a few times that I enjoyed Shadow. Heroes was a much better game overall. For whatever reason, I played through Super Hard Mode on Heroes and the last episode on Shadow. Of course it's been a while since I've played either one, so I'm not really sure which was less glitchy.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

I don't mean to be a dick (haha, just kidding), but could you take the discussion to a different thread? Start a new one or something if you want to talk about Heroes again. This thread is supposed to be for logging autistic levels of information, not discussing the game's non-existent merits.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Sonic Adventure enemies and bosses, just 'cause:
  • If a Kiki manages to bomb you, he'll do backflips and laugh at your shitty luck. If you see one throwing spiked bombs, those are the ones that detonate instantly.
  • Rhinotanks cannot be rolled into, only jumped on
  • Leon's invisibility track makes him impossible to hit until he's completely opaque, and that's usually when he's attacking you.
  • While driving down the kart course in Twinkle Park, you can mow down Kart Kikis on the path by ramming into them from behind. They can do the same to you to inflict damage, though. (also, the more rings you have, the faster you can make the kart go in the Park and Circuit)
  • Egg Keepers can't be hit at all until they start to do their charge attack. The easy way to trick them into doing this is to skirt the rim of the stun laser - that part doesn't freeze you but just getting that close seems to prompt them into attacking. Or, just cheaply stand a good distance away and wait for them to stop moving the laser.
Bosses:
  • Egg Hornet: When you fight him again in the Boss sub-game, use the Light Speed Attack right away to smoke him in one move. (don't remember if this still works in SADX...)
  • When battling Knuckles at the lake, he sticks to punches and rolling for the first 2 hits, then throws in gliding. On the flip side, Sonic uses only the spin dash until the final hit where he starts throwing Homing Attacks.
  • Chaos 4: after taking a couple hits he starts frequently using a "flip" move that splashes water in several directions and can take out lily pads. If you get too close to him while he's submerged, he'll start swinging his fist around at you. When close to death, his shockwave attack releases two waves. If you let yourself sink too far into the water, some mysterious force in the water damages you.
  • Gamma is quite hopeless when fighting him on the carrier deck. His lock-on can be dodged just by not stopping, and before the final hit he suddenly remembers he has a jet booster.
  • Chaos 6: He uses the same moves in the Sonic and Knuckles encounters and doesn't withhold any between them (except for Big). In addition to tentacles, vacuum breath (which can suck up the broken satellites) and shockwaves, he can do a quick slash with his tail directly in front of him. If you use the Light Attack or Max Heat Knux Attack when he's frozen, you'll cut a big chunk off his life and can defeat him in 2 hits. (mysteriously, both moves inflict less damage in SADX)
  • Egg Viper: The first time he tries the electric orb attack (which is a bitch to avoid if you let him charge it up), he'll just park himself right next to the bridge and do his taunt, allowing you to smack him immedeately. He wises up afterward and makes you cross the Viper's tail. Toward the end when he starts ripping up the bridge, he takes out two chunks at a time.
  • Egg Walker: You might notice there's some cars parked on the side of the street (guess the police didn't mind people driving through the hotel or train station), each of which will get totalled in short order by the Walker's attacks. Each time the Walker does a towering leap, he scatters a shitload of bombs in his wake where he once was. If you happen to be caught in the midst of that, flying straight up is your only hope.
  • Chaos 2: Chaos can technically be hit anytime from behind, you just have to pick a moment when he's not paying attention and blocking you. He starts using the floor flood move after 2 hits, or he may go to the center and shatter himself into a bunch of little blobs, which scatter all over the place and then slink back to the middle. (For no purpose, you can also hit the chandelier during the fight and make it shake.)
  • ZERO: During his sweep attack (and as he moves to the center to use it), he's invulnerable. Also during Amy's action stages, if you heap enough abuse on ZERO to make him invincible, he'll turn black and start pouring smoke out his head.
  • E-101 Beta: His slow missiles can be locked onto and destroyed. The same is true for all of Gamma's brothers.
  • E-105 Zeta: Look closely at him to discover that chunks of his armor are made of Dreamcasts.
  • E-101 Kai: He does the homing missiles preceeding every charge attack. After 2 hits, his laser cannon attack from above launches one shot that explodes big enough to cover about 1/3rd to 1/2 the arena; after 3 hits, he fires a bunch of little explosions rapidly before revving up to create one massive one that covers 2/3rds of the arena.
  • Perfect Chaos: When you're far away from him, he flings off a bunch of arrow-shaped projectiles in a wide sweep, which seem to be a lot more liable to stop you than any of his other attacks, especially in phase 2. (phase 1 uses a looping version of Open Your Heart, phase 2 goes orchestral with something else entirely)

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

FlashTHD wrote:While driving down the kart course in Twinkle Park, you can mow down Kart Kikis on the path by ramming into them from behind. They can do the same to you to inflict damage, though. (also, the more rings you have, the faster you can make the kart go in the Park and Circuit)
I've found sometimes when I tried this, I'd get hit anyway, it seems like there's more to it than simply hitting them from behind? Running over the Kikis without cars along the track is also really unreliable for me, sometimes I hit and sometimes they hit me. Is it also based on the direction their facing?

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

G.Silver wrote:
FlashTHD wrote:While driving down the kart course in Twinkle Park, you can mow down Kart Kikis on the path by ramming into them from behind. They can do the same to you to inflict damage, though. (also, the more rings you have, the faster you can make the kart go in the Park and Circuit)
I've found sometimes when I tried this, I'd get hit anyway, it seems like there's more to it than simply hitting them from behind? Running over the Kikis without cars along the track is also really unreliable for me, sometimes I hit and sometimes they hit me. Is it also based on the direction their facing?
Maybe, but i'd chalk it up to bad collision.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

The only fun part of heroes was the pinball thngie, they should have made that into a separate game, I would have totaly bought it...

Blount

Post by Blount »

FlashTHD wrote:
G.Silver wrote:
Maybe, but i'd chalk it up to bad collision.
I've always thought this was related to the color of your kart (something like "black kart beats red and green karts" or whatever). I really have no clue though, so I'm just throwing it out there.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Board-related: the hell is going on with posting and editing? After clicking submit it always dumps me at a blank screen.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

Okay, when did this start happening?

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Segaholic2 wrote:Okay, when did this start happening?
Today as far as I know.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

I started getting that, too. I thought it was my connection being shitty again, but I guess not.

Okay, tried it in Firefox, Chrome, and Safari, and it did the same thing. It also did it after deleting a post.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

Well, I guess I will try to actually update the forum this weekend.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

test

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

Okay, we're updated to the latest version of phpbb3 and it's fixed the blank page issue. Hey, something good did come of this thread!

It's after 3am and I'm tired of fucking with CSS. If there's anything blatantly wrong with the layout now (I had to change all the avatars back from the right to left side again), please leave a comment and I'll try to fix it as soon as possible (never).

I am aware that the avatar boxes will break and look dumb on horizontal resolutions smaller than around 1100 pixels, but if you're on a resolution smaller than 1280 pixels wide then you can go fuck yourself.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Sonic X tidbits for 2003, or because I feel like talking about it:

* Archie's Sonic X spinoff lasted 40 issues. I think i'd heard it sold well enough at first but eventually the end of the series on TV took its' toll. It was replaced the very next month by Sonic Universe, a companion series to the regular comic. Particularly noteable was the "15th anniversary" two-parter that had Eggman trap Sonic & co. into a very faithful virtual recreation of Sonic 1 (bosses and all).

* Sega must've seen a lot of worth in the brand when they ordered that second run of episodes, because they rescued TMS from bankruptcy in 2005 by buying into them. They're still officially a subsidiary of the company with Sega-Sammy having a controlling interest of 53%. So I suppose, theoretically, that the series is still not technically dead and they could see fit to have it continued at any moment, though I wouldn't be so sure considering Sega's shaky finances...

* A japanese language track was recorded for the second run with the usual cast, but for years it was never officially released in any format. It had only surfaced on chinese VCD releases that were nigh impossible for people on this hemisphere to get ahold of, much less rip. I have read though that July last year, Sonic Team announced they were going to be streaming eps 53-76, in their original form and in japanese, on Sonic Channel. No idea if they're still doing this...

* ^However. Very recently 4Kids made good on their promise to release uncut Sonic X in the west, and have put the first 26 eps on Hulu (US only, other regions blocked) in japanese /w subtitles. Everything is intact, music/theme songs/bullet sounds/swearing (!) included, sans only some kanji that was scrubbed off signs, eyecatches and whatnot by the animators before the eps were sent out for localization. Hopefully these will stay up after they add the horrid english versions and they'll get subs of the rest of the series available.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Blount wrote:[*] The upper map limit in Sky High Zone Act 2 was lowered for the GG version, which means you can't fly out of sight anymore. As soon as you touch the edge of the screen, you'll lose the hang glider. This makes getting the Emerald a much harder task, because of that stupid breeze that makes you go higher.
I just want to point out that you don't need the hang glider to get the emerald. There's a trail of springs hidden in clouds off the left side.
Sonic2-2.GIF
Sonic2-2.GIF (19.27 KiB) Viewed 11395 times
Jump from a standing start from the green X, and if you hold left you should hit the closest spring perfectly. Then you just have to bounce left and come back at the spring with enough momentum to get the emerald. It takes some jump control, as it's easy to overshoot it.

While I'm at it, I remember several years ago that Zeta was frustrated by the Sonic vs Blaze battle at the end of Rush because of how hard the button mashing segment was. I think the problem was that he was pressing A and B simultaneously. I made the same mistake at first; if you look really closely you'll see that it's actually prompting you to alternate between them. That should make it more manageable.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I didn't even think it was possible to get it with the hang-glider.
Can't remember if my method was exactly that but it definitely made us of that convenient hidden spring.

Also those sorts of button mashing bits always have you alternate. Isn't it like a tradition from as early as Track and Field? In any case, I've never seen a game where you ever had to mash two buttons simultaneously, so I find it a bit weird that anybody would assume that.

Blount

Post by Blount »

Neat. I, too, didn't know you could get the Emerald that way. I remember trying it as a kid before figuring out how the hang-glider actually worked, to no avail.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

Here's an alternative method that uses the further spring. And yes, it is possible to glide to the emerald. By some alignment of the planets I once took the hang glider at the beginning and sailed it over the entire level, snagging the emerald as I went.

Also, GG made a topic about it once, but just to have it in a place that's easy to find, if you walk into the left side of the 1 up box in the top left of the map in Sky High Zone Act 1, yellow birds come out of the trees.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

FlashTHD wrote:* Sega must've seen a lot of worth in the brand when they ordered that second run of episodes, because they rescued TMS from bankruptcy in 2005 by buying into them. They're still officially a subsidiary of the company with Sega-Sammy having a controlling interest of 53%. So I suppose, theoretically, that the series is still not technically dead and they could see fit to have it continued at any moment, though I wouldn't be so sure considering Sega's shaky finances...
Err, well so much for that?

Official subs makes a good sendoff I guess.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Cameos page wrote:A Monaco GP racing game featuring the name and likeness of six time winner Ayrton Senna.
Erm, let's try that again. It's a Formula 1 racing game with Monaco and 15 other then-contemporary tracks, and though Senna did win Monaco 6 times (including 5 in a row), he won 41 races overall and 3 championships, and the man is usually reffered to along the lines of "god's gift to F1", in that era at least. (The rivals menu also is only available on Master difficulty - the Beginner level takes away that screen and the "work your way up the ladder" aspect entirely, on top of making the AI so pathetically slow it's silly.)

His endorsement of the game is plenty ironic considering Sega's subsequent Williams sponsorship in '93. Senna drove for McLaren both years, and from what I have read, the very reason Sega went to Williams (maybe apart from the fact that they blew everyone's doors off in '92) was that McLaren didn't want the Sonic gimmick on the sides of their car, hence their "squashed hedgehog" decals...on Senna's car no less! Speaking of '93, here's some relevant pictures from the Donington Park race and the gooshed 'hog:

(this is sadly the best photo I could find of Senna's Sonic trophy, and I couldn't find anything on the balloon or the race queens)

Miscellaneous detail: Alain Prost (who for the longest time was Senna's bitter rival) won the driver's championship in '93, his fourth, and retired immedeately upon winning it.

FlashTHD
*sniff*

Post by FlashTHD »

Or, hey, this probably has something to do with McLaren snubbing Sega: the team's title sponsor at the time was Marlboro. That might not have gone down too well!

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Quick question:

I was playing Knuckles Chaotix the other day, and defeated the Amazing Arena hologram miniboss thrice. The first time it took 4 hits to destroy, the second time 2, and the third time 3. Does anybody know what's up with that?