GHZ Museum/Encyclopedia fact checking & ect. thread

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Re: GHZ Museum/Encyclopedia fact checking & ect. thread

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Incredible.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I've long wondered about that world atlas in StF. Kinda resembles Earth with a vertically flipped western hemisphere on the right and horizontally flipped eastern on the left, yeah? Lore or lazy plagiarism??

(source)

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

oh god i can't, believe i mixed my left from my right. that's what i get when i post with gnawing hunger -- a goddamn dunce cap for me.

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

I'm more struck by the fact that "Robotonic" got through.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Maybe that's just how his satellites are oriented.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Sure that that works for the western hemisphere, but not the eastern. To wit, the only way you're getting Madagascar (and, y'know, Asia) to the left of Africa is if it's "pointing up," as it were.

Also, Australia seems to be missing?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

oh, I was looking at it wrong. I thought that it was tilted 90 degrees and Africa was a very large Australia, with Europe and the Arabian Peninsula being the Indonesian islands. That's what I get for not freezing the animation. It's hard to focus on it when there are robots in front of it spinning their heads around.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I'm surprised that they just flipped the Americas 180 degrees, while for all the other continents, they scaled and stretched and omitted so many things. Africa in particular is waaay larger than it should be.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

That depemds on what projection is used. Many maps are horizontally compressed, making landmasses larger the nearer they are to the poles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_map_projections

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:That depemds on what projection is used. Many maps are horizontally compressed, making landmasses larger* the nearer they are to the poles.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_map_projections
*smaller. :oops:

Neo

Post by Neo »

You need an editor

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

Did someone say SILVER THE HEDGEHOG SKINS FOR PUYO PUYO TETRIS????

You can unlock Sonic skins for both Puyos and Tetris through the story mode. Icons include Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Shadow, Silver, a Chao, and a ring.

Unfortunately, as you may be able to tell from that screenshot, the icons are way too detailed - you can't really tell the difference between the Puyos and the tetrominos if you have both in play, which is why I'm being trounced so easily in that match (a-and not because I'm bad at the game or anything).

The game, incidentally, is very good.

Wombatwarlord777

The fused Sonic character icons look positively distressed.

You're right about the detail thing though - If they were bound and determined to have Sonic skins, they should've used Chao heads or Wisps, with Sonic and Co. gawking around in the background.

big_smile
Drano Master

Post by big_smile »

It's too bad Sonic and Co don't appear in the story (especially as the Puyo characters had their own special in the story mode of Runners).

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

"Hey Tails, your puyos finally drop yet?"

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

I kinda like the idea of a Sonic/Puyo Puyo crossover, if only for a limited time promotion or something. Ringo and pals have a very "Sonic Team"-y appearance to them and they fit in better visually with Modern Sonic and company than realistic-looking humans do.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Bloons Super Monkey 2 contains a Sonic homage in level 53. I dunno how to screenshot with this android-a-mabob so you'll have to take my word for it.

Jingles

Post by Jingles »

When you google "Sonic the Hedgehog", the sidebar thingy has a little Sonic 1 sprite on it that you can click on. It shows the spinning animation and plays the jump sound effect.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

And if you tap on Sonic fast enough, he becomes Super Sonic. The Sonic 2 version, that is.

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

It looks like nobody's ever compiled a complete list of the minigame events from Sonic Pinball Party, so I made one while I was grabbing a screenshot for the emerald chart.

Code: Select all

Sonic
---
GRIND
Make the ball go through both return lanes!

LOOP & LOOP
Make the ball go through the left and right loops!

JUMP ATTACK
Hit the bumpers 10 times!

Tails
---
TWIN TAIL
Make the ball go through both ramp lanes!

TAIL ATTACK
Aim for the right ramp lane and Chao hole!

RENDEZVOUS
Put the ball in the hole 5 times!

Knuckles
---
WALL CLIMB
Go through many switches!

KNUCKLES BUMP

HANG AIR
Keep the ball on the top half of the table!

Amy
---
JUMP WALK
Aim for the ramp lanes on the right and the middle!

STORMING HEART
Aim for the hole with an arrow!

LOVE HAMMER

AMY FLASH
Put the ball in the hole 5 times!

All
---
CHECKPOINT
Aim for the left loop and the left lane!

SUPER JET
Hit the bumpers and score big!

VS ENEMY
Aim for the hole with an arrow!

SPIN DASH
Put the ball through left loop and right ramp lane!

SPIN SHOT
Hit the middle ramp using the upper flipper!

CHAOS EMERALDS
Make the ball go through both ramp lanes!

GET 100 RINGS
Put the ball into the hole 5 times!
For some reason Amy has 4 unique events while everyone else has 3. JUMP WALK sounds like something that would be available to everyone, so it could be a mistake in the code. I did over 100 events on the other characters to make sure I wasn't just having bad luck.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Sonic antagonizes in Taito's unreleased "Recalhorn." [source]

Frieza2000

Post by Frieza2000 »

I just realized I don't have a translation of the Japanese manual for Sonic 3D Blast and I can't seem to find one. Anybody have it? The scans are on Retro, if it comes to that.

Wombatwarlord777

I'm pretty sure this has been documented somewhere, but I've never seen it mentioned here.

If you're ever hit by this miniboss's spinning top thing directly from above, it acts as a crushing object and instantly kills you, regardless of your ring count.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

It never before occurred to me that the badniks in Greg Martin's 8-bit Sonic 2 art aren't in the game at all!

There's at least a precedent with the wasps in Beeton and Stinger, but no such thing in the game itself. What's more baffling is the seemingly organic helmeted birds. Are they supposed to be the chicks from the Sky High Zone boss fight? Scrapped Valkyns? Whatever they are, they're oddly prescient to the Battle Kukku soilders.