Can I Show yous my Pokemon for the Fifth Tiem?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Zeta

Re: Can I Show yous my Pokemon for the Fifth Tiem?

Post by Zeta »

In the movie it uses illusions to take on the appearance of an Evil Ash (not the one from Evil Dead, sadly), so it sort of could indeed be seen as a werewolf thingy, I guess.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

I bought two DS games then they change the game moves in the third one fine. Andthen, they do a remake of Gold and Silver, and thats okey, cause everyone saw that coming. But then, you say the Fifth generation isnt going to be for a new Nintendo portable, just the same old DS, only now is has a big screen, cant play GBA games and uses flash cards?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Because lord fucking knows Pokemon needs motion controls so we have to wait three more years so it's on the DS2 and we have to wiggle our fingers for the turn based RPG to work.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Things that would make me care about a new Pokemon generation (and are never going to happen):
  • Not introducing shitty new Pokemon. This one is pretty screwed already I suppose, but I'm prepared to forgive 3 new starters and a handful of legendaries. While we're still in the realm of insanity, what about more than 3 starter options? Or ones that are an element other than fire, grass and water?
  • Making the process of breeding Pokemon to be in any way entertaining and not a colossal waste of time. You don't need to breed Pokemon to get through the main storyline - ever - and the only purpose it serves is to act as a cockblock for anyone wanting to get into the competitive scene where IVs are actually worth a damn.
  • On a related topic, invisible IVs and EVs are bullshit and I doubt I'll ever buy a Pokemon game with either of them ever again.
  • No more candy-coated censorship. Pokemon was never "dark" to begin with, but that doesn't seem to have stopped the storylines becoming insultingly mindless, a trend I noticed began in the 3rd generation along with a general attempt to make the games match the equally dull anime.
  • Speaking of the 3rd generation, why did they decide that your rival had to be your best friend and remove the ideas of threat or antagonism from the equation? I liked that my rival was a dickwad. That's the whole point of the game letting you name them Dickwad. Then in the 3rd and 4th generations, the Dickwads kept trying to be helpful and relevant to the plot which started to make me feel a bit like an immature child, and that's a very dangerous thing for a Pokemon game to do.
  • I think this was mentioned in another thread, but it would be nice if catching 'em all was actually feasible without having both copies of the current generation game, 2 pieces of current generation hardware, and all of the previous generation's instalments. Maybe you can get away with that sort of extortion in Japan where it's socially acceptable to ask your friends to help fund your Pokedex habit, and not owning the games statistically makes you more of a friendless loser than owning them, but I live in The Rest of the World and over here things work the other way around.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Crisis wrote:
  • Not introducing shitty new Pokemon.
It was all downhill after Kabutops anyway.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Crisis wrote:[*] I think this was mentioned in another thread, but it would be nice if catching 'em all was actually feasible without having both copies of the current generation game, 2 pieces of current generation hardware, and all of the previous generation's instalments. Maybe you can get away with that sort of extortion in Japan where it's socially acceptable to ask your friends to help fund your Pokedex habit, and not owning the games statistically makes you more of a friendless loser than owning them, but I live in The Rest of the World and over here things work the other way around.[/list]
To be fair, that kind of shit is at least SOMEWHAT easier (compared to previous Gens) thanks to the Global Trade Station and other online whatsits.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Crisis wrote:
  • whine
  • baw
  • bitch
  • growl
  • moan
  • whine
fixed
On a related topic, invisible IVs and EVs are bullshit
No, the people who figured out the system and regularly exploit it in an almost OCD-like manner are bullshit. I will give you that they need a new system perhaps, but only because the current one has people exploiting it to death.
I think this was mentioned in another thread, but it would be nice if catching 'em all was actually feasible without having both copies of the current generation game, 2 pieces of current generation hardware, and all of the previous generation's instalments. Maybe you can get away with that sort of extortion in Japan where it's socially acceptable to ask your friends to help fund your Pokedex habit, and not owning the games statistically makes you more of a friendless loser than owning them, but I live in The Rest of the World and over here things work the other way around.
"Gotta catch 'em all" became a retired catchphrase for good reason. Thrilled to see people still can't get over that.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

* Not introducing shitty new Pokemon.
Shitty Pokemon from the first generation:

Zubat - It's like a bat, but worse!

Voltorb, Electrode - Balls with faces!

Grimer, Muk - A puddle of goo that evolves into a bigger pile of goo.

Diglet, Dugtrio - Pokemon that logically shouldn't exist because they can't get out of the fucking ground.

Magneton, Magnemite - It's a ball with an eye and a magnet. That's a great design!

Ditto, Farfetch'd - Both ugly and useless!

Please grow out of your stupid nostolgia, kthxbai!

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

In conclusion, everyone who says "All of the original 151 were great and everything afterwards SUCKED" should be forced to play a game and allowed to use nothing but Ditto, Farfetch'd, Voltorb, Muk, Zubat, and Dugtrio.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Zeta wrote:In conclusion, everyone who says "All of the original 151 were great and everything afterwards SUCKED" should be forced to play a game and allowed to use nothing but Ditto, Farfetch'd, Voltorb, Muk, Zubat, and Dugtrio.
Screw you, Ditto is awesome because of :), Farfetch'd is a DUCK who uses a LEEK as a SWORD, and Diglett/Dugtrio are charming and make for amusing wild speculation as for what the parts of their bodies lurking below the ground might look like.

I bet someone like Kogen will twist around the last part of that sentence.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

FlashTHD wrote:
On a related topic, invisible IVs and EVs are bullshit
No, the people who figured out the system and regularly exploit it in an almost OCD-like manner are bullshit. I will give you that they need a new system perhaps, but only because the current one has people exploiting it to death.
If a game allows competition then it is natural that those competing will seek to exploit the mechanics in any way they can. This happens with literally every competitive game ever. Claiming that this is the fault of the players and not the system itself is stupid.

Dash

Post by Dash »

I actually enjoy most of the designs, and thought the 4th generation had some of the best so far. There were some more complex designs that still felt organic and likable. While every game probably has a lame one or two(thusly why I don't feel like jumping to the defense or the original pokes Zeta covered), I only feel the third generation of pokes to be very hit-and-miss.

As far as EVs and IVs are concerned, Gamefreak does seem to be recognizing the increased awareness of the stats system. They added EV enhancing items and IV judge characters as the games went along, so I would say that they are legal game mechanics. Breeding is a pain yes, but with HeartGold and SoulSilver they've added color coding to help you recognize how natures affect stats and made those EV items pass over some IVs when breeding. Even level grinding is getting a boost with the little Pokewalker(something I assume will be included/used with future games), so they're trying to help a bit.

I'm curious what they'll do with this next game. Some battle balance and improvement is a given. I don't see a full revamp happening, but any way they can find to give the pokes more use outside of battle would be great. Shoot, I'd still love to see my monster competing in a little Pokemon Stadium mini-game, it's fur color slightly different based on what I nicknamed it. It's those kinda things that give it heart.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Zeta wrote:
* Not introducing shitty new Pokemon.
Shitty Pokemon from the first generation:

Etc, etc
I'm not trying to defend all of the first generation's shitty Pokemon (although I like to think it had a higher ratio of decency to shit than later ones), it's just that any more are pretty redundant now. I suppose an argument could be made for certain type combinations (like the previously discussed pure flying type), but really the game just has too many monsters at this point. How many Rattatas, Sentrets, Zigzagoons and Bidoofs do we really need? Speaking of which,
"Gotta catch 'em all" became a retired catchphrase for good reason. Thrilled to see people still can't get over that.
It does raise the question of why Nintendo insists on introducing new Pokemon that serve no purpose other than being collectible, if they don't want us to collect them.
Not only is it not the player's fault for reasons mentioned by Crowbar, but there are also more simple solutions that are far less open to abuse. As far as I can tell, EVs/IVs are mostly a relic from the Gameboy/Colour technical limitations.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

http://kotaku.com/5468599/pokemons-fift ... th-zoroark

So, the new Pokemon is a wolf cub that evolves into a werewolf.

The furries will be delighted.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

The problem with the subsequent generations of Pokemon is the number of derivatives and counterparts. The starter Pokemon always follow the same basic formula, there's the trio of super-powerful Pokemon, the super powerful birds, the cute mysterious one that isn't available in the game, the worm/cocoon/flying bug and so on. I think it'd be pretty cool for a Pokemon game to consist entirely of brand new Pokemon with older generations nowhere to be found, just as long as they're all new concepts and well designed.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Zeta wrote:http://kotaku.com/5468599/pokemons-fift ... th-zoroark

So, the new Pokemon is an evil fox cub that evolves into a werefox.

The furries will be delighted.
Fixed.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

I think it'd be pretty cool for a Pokemon game to consist entirely of brand new Pokemon with older generations nowhere to be found, just as long as they're all new concepts and well designed.
That's mostly what they tried to do with Ruby and Sapphire.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Zeta wrote:
I think it'd be pretty cool for a Pokemon game to consist entirely of brand new Pokemon with older generations nowhere to be found, just as long as they're all new concepts and well designed.
That's mostly what they tried to do with Ruby and Sapphire.
Yeah, but they wussed out, so it wasn't ALL NEW POKEMON and it didn't have the full set either, so it just pissed people off. And in the end they didn't do a good job of integrating the 2nd Gen Pokemon - it would've been courteous for them to at least include the full set in the GameCube game.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Yeah, but they wussed out, so it wasn't ALL NEW POKEMON and it didn't have the full set either, so it just pissed people off. And in the end they didn't do a good job of integrating the 2nd Gen Pokemon - it would've been courteous for them to at least include the full set in the GameCube game.
They probably didn't want to integrate the 2nd gen well to drive up a market for Gold and Silver remakes.

I hope Gen V is like Gen III - mostly a new set of Pokemon with the old ones stashed away to be gotten in the Gen V games or the Safari Zone.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

all the pokemon after gold/silver look terrible. Lucario is probably the worst offender. A bipedal blue fox with dreadlocks and nails in his hands. No fucking thanks.

What happened to "less is more"?

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

The Johto Pokemon were terrible. A monkey with a hand in his ass? An aborted chicken fetus (Togetic, btw)? A set of 26 letters that don't fucking DO anything?

FUCKING WOBUFFET?
What happened to "less is more"?
You know, you can still play with the original 151 or 251. They haven't been deleted (unfortunately in some cases) or anything. It's not like a Sonic game, you know.

Also, once again I wish I could kill all nostalgia in the world.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Granted, wobuffet was pretty fucked up looking. But his design was by no means overly complex. Nowadays we have a number of creatures that are ornately decorated( as if they had a bunch of cardboard glued onto them) and have arbitrarily different colored body segments. This ultimately makes them look generic and as if they could belong to any other franchise.

I admit, I'm probably wearing nostalgia goggles when it comes to this issue, but it feels like something objectively has suffered design wise over the years.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Granted, wobuffet was pretty fucked up looking. But his design was by no means overly complex. Nowadays we have a number of creatures that are ornately decorated( as if they had a bunch of cardboard glued onto them) and have arbitrarily different colored body segments. This ultimately makes them look generic and as if they could belong to any other franchise.
This is the bug/rock from Gen II.

This is the bug rock from Gen III.

One is ornately decorated, true. But it does look just like an Anomalocaris, who were pretty ornate animals.

But just look at the other one. I can't even tell what that ugly son of a bitch is supposed to be, but whatever it is, I don't want it near me.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

I really liked the Gen III Pokémon, sometimes more than their Gen III predecessors actually (although not in the above example). Gen IV however had just too many bland, uncharismatic, and utterly hideous creations, not to mention those simply monstrous new evolutions of old Pokémon. Almost none of the newly introduced ones struck me as memorable, aside from the ones who simply burned their terrifying shapes into their mind (why does that Tangela blob thing have ARMS and such a tiny face?!). Why not cease to make new crappy Pokémon and rather change the series' concept a bit, for example introducing a proper story?
Also for the record, I dumped my starter in Gen IV in a box as soon as I evolved my Magikarp and have from that point on been running around with a team composed of nothing but Gen I Pokémon (Gyaradox, Onix, Magmar, Scyther, Porygon) and a Roselia.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Gen IV however had just too many bland, uncharismatic, and utterly hideous creations, not to mention those simply monstrous new evolutions of old Pokémon.
Most of the Gen IV evolutions were for old crappy Pokemon that very few people liked or used (case in point - Tangela) and there's only so much you can polish a turd.
(why does that Tangela blob thing have ARMS and such a tiny face?!)
I think the better question is why did someone thing a blob of blue pasta with two eyes and red sneakers fit with the rest of the Pokemon in the first place. Tangela was another one of those early . . . mistakes, I think. It didn't look like a plant. Just food with blue dye.

Togekiss, Mamoswine, Yanmega, Roseraid, Mismagius, Honchkrow, and Lickylicky did a great job, though.