Can I Show yous my Pokemon for the Fifth Tiem?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Crowbar

Re: Can I Show yous my Pokemon for the Fifth Tiem?

Post by Crowbar »

Breaking my trend a bit here, I kind of think most of those new Pokémon look pretty retarded. Or maybe it's that they look kinda soulless. Mamepato, Munna, and Hihidaruma in particular somehow don't look alive to me (also Mamepato is a nazi).

Also rather thrown off by the typing choices on the two legendaries. Is Fire good and Electric evil, then?

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I guess the fact the two main legendaries were revealed to be the "Yin" and "Yang" pokémon kind of throws out the window any speculation of one of them being evil. You know, balance of the cosmos and all that stuff.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Crowbar wrote:Breaking my trend a bit here, I kind of think most of those new Pokémon look pretty retarded. Or maybe it's that they look kinda soulless. Mamepato, Munna, and Hihidaruma in particular somehow don't look alive to me (also Mamepato is a nazi).
I see your point but I think partly this has to do with the artwork. Apart from Red/Blue, the first set of art for each run of games tends to depict the newcomers in fairly bland poses.

Hihidaruma, by the way, is indisputably the Wario Pokémon.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

FlashTHD wrote:
Crowbar wrote:Breaking my trend a bit here, I kind of think most of those new Pokémon look pretty retarded. Or maybe it's that they look kinda soulless. Mamepato, Munna, and Hihidaruma in particular somehow don't look alive to me (also Mamepato is a nazi).
I see your point but I think partly this has to do with the artwork. Apart from Red/Blue, the first set of art for each run of games tends to depict the newcomers in fairly bland poses.
It's not that these drawings show bland poses, it's that the designs all look like the types that don't really make different facial expressions. Compare Clefairy (who was supposedly at one point going to be the mascot for the anime) to Pikachu. Pikachu, even in it's most generic of artwork, looks more alive to me than Clefairy does since its face doesn't look so blank.

With these new ones I think it's mostly the eyes. Both Mamepato and Hihidaruma have their pupils right in the middle of their eyes, which is a standard way of making them look empty and emotionless. Munna barely even has a face.

I know that all generations have had a few Pokémon like this, though, so maybe it's just the batch that they chose to preview is misleading.

This is all, of course, just opinions. Others in this thread seem to like the designs which is certainly a surprise to me, given that everyone and their dog seems to have thrown a bigger hissy-fit over each new generation thus far.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

I can't speak for My Little Baku, but I think hihidaruma is kind of supposed to look that way, and real life sewer bird eyes look exactly like that.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

If you dont buy and or play pokemon games, they will stop making pokemon games...

Really, at least Digimon was honest about being ugly, in they first season they had a pokemon that literally was crap..

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Crowbar wrote:With these new ones I think it's mostly the eyes. Both Mamepato and Hihidaruma have their pupils right in the middle of their eyes, which is a standard way of making them look empty and emotionless. Munna barely even has a face.
I can't tell whether it has a face or not either, but that's part of the reason why I really like Munna, moreso than any of the other 5th-generation Pokemon introduced so far: It's so (relatively) creative. Most of the other new Pokemon seem to be lifted from real-life animals or objects with hardly any artistic flair ("Take a crocodile and make it yellow with black stripes... Brillant! Only 136 more to go!"). I guess that's why I really like the surreal first-generation Pokemon like Koffing and Lickitung, and even that ugly-but-odd new blue otter thing.

For me it's more a matter of form than expression, I guess.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Bunch of new Pokemon revealed.

Mole that actually looks like a mole, not diglet and an evolution.

Some sort of draconic insect.

Haunted sarcophogus/mummy.

Tarantula.

Some sort of energy being made out of living plasma.

Living crystal creature.

Personification of Gothic Lolita.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

Triple Battles confirmed

New trailer

Also, the fourth generation games can receive Jirachi via Wi-Fi for a short time.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

The towns look interesting but my god do the battles look ugly. Why do the pokemon need to cluster together like conjoined twins?

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

Were doubles really popular enough to justify triples? I was told that double battles in the metagame are characterised by a lack of switching and very quick victories. I could see a lot of triples ending in 2-3 turns.

I wonder what would happen if you expanded the team size to above 6. I know that Nintendo absolutely refuses to make serious updates to the mechanics of Pokemon, and in their defence 6 is a pretty good number, but I don't see how triple battles will work with only 6 Pokemon.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Crisis wrote:I wonder what would happen if you expanded the team size to above 6. I know that Nintendo
Nintendo doesn't make the Pokémon games.

Double battles are pretty fun, so triple battles could end up being ridiculously amusing.

K2J

Post by K2J »

They did mention they were considering changing the number of party members when making Ruby/Sapphire but decided against it. Perhaps they will this time. I've also heard that triple battles don't happen in-game, only in PvP matches.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

FlashTHD wrote:
j-man wrote:Image
...what.

So this game takes place in Eagleland now?
It looks a lot like a Digimon, but not close enough so Gamefreak can avoid geting his ass sued...

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Serebii.net's got a bunch of new information from the latest CoroCoro magazine. The usual new Mons, but also details on bits exclusive to DSi/3DS systems, and what might be the game's first attempt at MMO-style gameplay? (or at least something like Dragon Quest IX has)

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

First is a DSi & 3DS exclusive feature; the Live Caster. This feature, after obtained in the game, will allow you to have video chats with your friends. This is limited to 4-player over local wireless and 2 player over Wi-Fi.
In before a local news affiliate gets wind of it and stirs up a shitstorm.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Mommy, where do I find my own friend code?

K2J

Post by K2J »

I would love to have video chat with three other people of which I am within 10 meters of.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Yeah, that does make zero sense. Maybe it's so you can see intense battle reactions! Though I do hope this game is optimized for 3DS in the same way that GBC really brought out everything in Gold/Silver but didn't exclude those of us who still had older systems.

...and had my awesome Ice Blue Game Boy Pocket not been stolen from my backpack at school, I probably never would have gotten a GBC. Mario Tennis was the business, but I still miss him. ;_;

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

GBC Mario Tennis was the only worthwhile thing Camelot has ever done. I remember playin' that sucka 'til my thumbs were sore. It almost makes up for the existence of Waluigi. Almost.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:GBC Mario Tennis was the only worthwhile thing Camelot has ever done.
Shining Force says hi

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Screw you, Mario Tennis was fun on the N64 too.

Dash

Post by Dash »

Darn right it was. Played the heck out of that one too. Though GBC Mario Tennis had more of a story mode and RPG elements, so it was really fun (like Pokemon Stadium) to build up your character and use the transfer pak to play as them on the console game. Did the GBA one do this also, with Mario Power Tennis? I don't recall much about those except that those power moves kind of ruined the main gameplay for me.

I love connectivity, even if it was kind of a weird marketing push for Nintendo in GC days. It's very satisfying to have your gameplay hours stack and be worthwhile in the another edition of the series. And despite Sonic & Knuckles being a tool to unlock the real Sonic 3, I like how it's unique position allowed you play as Knuckles in Sonic 2, giving you a new reason to play your old game. Even things like Smash Bros. Melee rewarding you with trophies for having particular save files on the memory card was cool. I wish they'd do things like that more often, useless perks or no.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Yeah, Camelot made GBA RPGs for both Mario Golf Toadstool Tour and Mario Power Tennis, called Mario Golf Advance Tour and Mario Tennis Power Tour, respectively. They're HEAVILY based on the Golden Sun engine, right down to the text boxes, art style and little emoticon bubbles. Power Tour even has a list of Power Shots you can equip your character with, and some of them apparently resemble Psynergy.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Power Tour also had a cringe-worthy plot pulled from the most hackneyed of shonen anime. Where once winning a ranked game was simply followed by a congratulation and a move-along were now the most puerile lessons in good sportsmanship (not to mention Kate knocking out an entire room with her ass :japemoticon:).

Also, whoever thought pre-rendered graphics would look good with the GBA's resolution needs to be taken out and flogged.