Can I Show yous my Pokemon for the Fifth Tiem?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Neo

Re: Can I Show yous my Pokemon for the Fifth Tiem?

Post by Neo »

Zeta wrote:Image
Incredibly more appealing than just about any Gen III Pokémon.
Zeta wrote:One is ornately decorated, true. But it does look just like an Anomalocaris, who were pretty ornate animals.

But just look at the other one. I can't even tell what that ugly son of a bitch is supposed to be, but whatever it is, I don't want it near me.
Okay, I get it, you're this crazy biology geek who shudders at the thought of anything straying the least bit away from real animals. That's cool, I guess, but I like my mons to be more fantastic than anatomically correct.
P.P.A. wrote:Also for the record, I dumped my starter in Gen IV in a box as soon as I evolved my Magikarp and have from that point on been running around with a team composed of nothing but Gen I Pokémon (Gyaradox, Onix, Magmar, Scyther, Porygon) and a Roselia.
I'm sure your mom feels really happy for you.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

Zeta wrote:Image

This is the bug rock from Gen III.

This encapsulates the kind of Pokemon I do like and the kind I don't like. Shuckle has character, it's memorable, simple and cute. The other one, not so much.

(No Imagination)

Post by (No Imagination) »

Zeta wrote:tangela slander
... you, sir, lack taste and dignity.

... the anomalocaris does look cute, in a sort of pet triops kind of way. Reminds me of the things that used to breed in my old aquarium, though 60x magnified and stuff.

Shuckle owns the larva, though.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Personally, I always thought the Gen III mons carried some of the weakest designs, but that's mainly due to the Pikachu expy-slash-ripoff "Battery Bros." (Plusle + Minun)--and, for that matter, more of the designs seeming to be more expy-ish in general to me.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

Okay, I get it, you're this crazy biology geek who shudders at the thought of anything straying the least bit away from real animals. That's cool, I guess, but I like my mons to be more fantastic than anatomically correct.
It's not really quite that. I just despite the Pokemon that are formless and blob-like. Grimer, Shuckle, Wobbuffet. To a lesser extent Jigglypuff. Etc. I just don't see the appeal in such a character. It's like thinking a piece of Jell-O is charming.

Tsuyoshi-kun
Now Playing: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Post by Tsuyoshi-kun »

I would be content with simply having a Pokemon game without Zubats, Magikarps, Tentacools, Psyducks, Goldeens/Seakings, Girafarigs, Heracrosses, or bugs that go into cocoons and evolve at level 10 already. Tauros should also have a pre-evolution finally. Maybe gender-specific, so it can evolve into either a Tauros or a Miltank.

Also, cockroach and flea Pokemon. Make it happen, Game Freak. (Unless they already was a Pokemon that was supposed to look like them.)

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I'm pretty sure Pokemon emulating the butterfly (or beetle, for that matter) life cycle are there because of the desire to replicate the sensation of discovering strange animals for little kids, and not pleasing power gamers bent on building the perfect battling team. (Same for any other "useless" Pokemon)

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

G.Silver wrote:I'm pretty sure Pokemon emulating the butterfly (or beetle, for that matter) life cycle are there because of the desire to replicate the sensation of discovering strange animals for little kids, and not pleasing power gamers bent on building the perfect battling team. (Same for any other "useless" Pokemon)
And this is also what beautifully illustrates where pokemon has gone wrong over the years. But seriously, quoted for truth.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

They serve a good purpose, but there's not much need for new versions of Caterpie and Butterfree in each sequel.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

Zeta wrote:
It's not really quite that. I just despite the Pokemon that are formless and blob-like. Grimer, Shuckle, Wobbuffet. To a lesser extent Jigglypuff. Etc. I just don't see the appeal in such a character. It's like thinking a piece of Jell-O is charming.
Somewhere, Kirby is pissed at you.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

But Kirby is supposed to be a horrifying eldritch abomination older than the stars, so at least that fits.

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

He's not older than the stars in the games, you fool. Get that anime nonsense outta yo' head.

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

In the games, he's even more of a sociopath (my cake was stolen, thousands will die because of this), if anything.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Okey, the last pokemon game I liked was Emerald, Coloseum was okey I guess...

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

All right, let me try again:

Pokémon Black and White Versions announced.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

I'm excited/intrigued. Note that they changed the series logo again, too (last change was back at Ruby/Sapphire Versions). It's a shame that snazzy look probably won't be used for the NTSC/PAL region games when they're released.

(Who wants to bet that Zorark is gonna be the boxart 'Mon for Black Version? Anyone?)

K2J

Post by K2J »

I'll actually bet against that; I see Zoroark as this generation's Lucario. Introduced early, has a movie related to it, but won't be a real legendary or version mascot. He doesn't really scream that type of position to me.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

They're begging for heaven and hell legendary Pokemon. Eugh.

Protodude

Post by Protodude »

I think the most pressing matter at hand is what style of hat the main character will don.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

On that matter, I kinda hope we get a customizable main character this time - if not with the appearance, at least with the clothes/colors. But considering these games are coming to the DS, they will probably leave that for the next generation.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Black & White huh, does that mean a Team Rocket vs. Galactic storyline? If so I hope the Rockets get a new leader that finally gets the anime out of the rut it's been in since Giovanni's seiyuu died.

Dash

Post by Dash »

The only eps I've seen in the past like 10 years that were worth any time was a recent 2-parter where the new Rival handed Ash's ass a beating using real game-accurate tactics. Sweet justice. Take that, with your BS hey-look-I-canz-thundershock-Onix Pikachu.
Protodude wrote:I think the most pressing matter at hand is what style of hat the main character will don.
Fedoras would be mad classy.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Clearly it will be Bill's Hat.

K2J

Post by K2J »

Neo

Post by Neo »

Shadow Hog wrote:Clearly it will be Bill's Hat.
You mean Someone's Hat!