Mega Man 10 Announced.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Re: Mega Man 10 Announced.

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

The turret boss is complete bullshit that requires you to commit suicide and farm for resources, but you aren't any more fucked there than anywhere else.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Oh boo hoo hoo, if you think you're gonna get any sympathy from 1989 you are grossly mistaken!

Once you get the solution down it'll never bother you again. The only thing that really makes it hard is that pausing the game (which would give you time to easily solve the puzzle) makes all the turrets and walls disappear, so you have to know what you're doing ahead of time. The solution is freely available on GameFAQs, and you can bring E-tanks with you. If you're avoiding playing MegaMan 2 because of a 20+ year old puzzle, you may as well be avoiding Sonic 3 because you still haven't figured out that damn barrel.

MegaMan 2 is my favorite. :)

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

My experience with the classic Megaman games is basicaly restricted to Rockman Megaworld (aka Wily Wars), back when I had a Genesis emulator - and I have to say the first one is the hardest of the original trilogy. While I managed to beat 2 (once) and 3, the farthest I got on 1 was the start of the final boss*... which I still consider an achievement, considering that meant I got past the Yellow Devil without the pause glitch (they "fixed" it), the no-healing-allowed boss parade near the end, and all the other crap (lifts and ice floors) before it.

And the turret boss in 2 is a piece of cake, if you remember to save Crash Man's weapon.

*Keep in mind I had NO idea what a savestate was. No, seriously.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Wait, is it possible to beat that boss WITHOUT committing suicide there? Not that that strategy has failed me in the many times I've taken on that boss, it's just that if there's a more efficient way to beat him, why shouldn't I take it?

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Brazillian Cara wrote: And the turret boss in 2 is a piece of cake, if you remember to save Crash Man's weapon.
Therein lies the problem though; there isn't enough ammunition to both clear out the walls and the turrets, even at full capacity.

I never looked at it as a puzzle before, I admit, because when playing Mega Man I'm in lizard-brain action mode. If a game throws you a curve ball without precedent, that's poor game design.

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

Only in that they don't throw enough of them. I view original applications of same old gameplay to be a good thing.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

There are enough Crash Bombs, though. The trick is that you don't destroy all the walls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARAp-SAq4gY

I think I usually do a different order than this guy, getting the one in the upper right last, so I don't have to use Item 3 to get out of the pit, but this certainly works. It's still unforgiving, but you don't have to kill yourself to do it.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

G.Silver wrote:There are enough Crash Bombs, though. The trick is that you don't destroy all the walls.
Yes, I know. The point was there isn't if you don't realize most of the walls don't have to be destroyed, which is something the game wasn't very clear about.

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

I would think it becomes very clear very quickly when you run out of Crash Bombs.
Wait, is it possible to beat that boss WITHOUT committing suicide there?
Also, apparently ShadowHog thinks you have to suicide to beat the boss(?), so that was for him, too.

Dr. BUGMAN

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Except since the walls do not regenerate after a death you have no idea what the developers intended. You're not punished in a manner that would cause you to reevaluate your choice.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

The walls don't regenerate? I never noticed that! I guess whenever I failed it on the first try, I just got a deliberate game over as way of refilling my ammo instantly without grinding. Obviously that was making my life much harder than it needed to be!

G.Silver
Drano Master

Post by G.Silver »

The walls are just following the rules established earlier in the game, they don't regenerate so you don't have to shoot them again. I'm not saying this thing is great design, but as a well-documented game made over 20 years ago this is a pretty odd thing to target. Figuring stuff like this out was the challenge of the game, like learning all the weird little tells in Punch Out. Even though they didn't have the internet back then, it was expected that people would talk about these games and share strategies and figure out how to beat those tough parts. The game takes less than an hour to beat start to finish, you aren't expected to never start over, or just roll through it in some lizard-brained fashion. You can be 100% sure it's exactly the way the developers wanted it.

Of course, they never did it again either.

I'm still really just responding to FlashTHD's statement that he would avoid playing what is otherwise an exceptional game because of one puzzle that he--and anyone else--should have no excuse for being stuck on in our present day. If this section of the game enraged you in 1989, then I can be sympathetic, but looking at the game from a historic perspective and picking out that one spot is small and completely petty.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Megaman 9 and 10 are fine and all but Id like to see one Megaman 8 style.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I dunno! There is something about higher resolution graphics that make Megaman... harder for me, somehow. I mean like aiming, or eyeballing tricky jumps. It's like there's a sort of easily visible precision that comes with the blocky old games. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Team Mecha

Post by Team Mecha »

JUMP! JUMP! SLIDE! SLIDE!

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

I only like Megaman X4. Am I doing it right?

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

No, since "doing it right" would entail liking quite a few of the games.

Although in your defense, you did pick the best of the X series.

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

j-man wrote:I only like Megaman X4. Am I doing it right?
FAILURE

BANNED

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

I only really like X4 as well. I think these retro cash-ins are lame.

K2J
Now Playing: Ocarina of Time 3D

Post by K2J »

I got the latter two pages scanned: page 3, page 4. I think all the information's been leaked, but there are some more screenshots.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

Interesting! Thanks Warnic.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

So, anyway... in Megaman 5, we had Napalm Man - whose stage happened to be on a very vietnamese-like jungle. Now we've got Commando Man, who happens to be the boss of the desert stage.

I wonder if there'll be something related for Megaman 15.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4Rje840olA

Trailer showing the intro, Blues/Protoman gameplay, and a few of the stages and mini-bosses.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Delphine wrote:
j-man wrote:I only like Megaman X4. Am I doing it right?
FAILURE

BANNED
But...but in the version I have he's called Rockman and all the characters talk in Moonspeak. Do I get extra credit?

Don't kick me out I love you guys ;__;