What are you doing with your life?

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Re: What are you doing with your life?

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Shadow Hog wrote:I think I find my addiction to the Internet more severe an issue than anything involving video games.
Story of my freakin' life.

So, when I'm not online, I'm studying at college, and my current major requires a lot of reading. Overwise, I'm trying to expand my horizons with new things to read and watch. I also play the occasional freeware game, because I'm too cheap to spend money on anything. And then I'm trying to establish an everyday exercise and newspaper-reading routine, so I don't become the fat, smelly, narrow-minded variety of nerd.

I don't draw near as much as I used to, which I hate. Mostly, it's confined to notebook margin doodles, but occasionally I'll stumble onto something interesting which I'll devote several hours to.

...In case you all cared to know.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Saving money from my dull but simple line of work, and occasionally spending it on frivolities. Feels good to have over ten grand laying about. I'm thinking of taking my first overseas holiday.

Being more productive artwise would be great too, but at the moment it's like walking through quicksand.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Neo wrote:
Esrever wrote:I have a 'queue' of to-play games that is about as long as my arm.
It's immensely comforting to know that I'm not the only one.
Same.

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

Shadow Hog wrote:
Neo wrote:
Esrever wrote:I have a 'queue' of to-play games that is about as long as my arm.
Same.
Yep.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

I've failed to achieve grades high enough to enter university so now I'm training to be recording engineer. Ah ell, maybe in the next life.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Recording engineers are kind of awesome though, aren't they? I assume it pays pretty well considering how much it costs to do a professional recording!

Frieza2000
Now Playing: the fool

Post by Frieza2000 »

P.P.A. wrote:Actually I have been playing very few video games recently. ... I knew they were a useless waste of time.

... In fact I judge a day's worth by how much I produced (which can be drawing programming, writing (I'm writing a small novel story thing) or photography and how much I learned (as I read a lot of wikipedia articles, mostly about history, architecture physics, cool tech stuff, world events, and religion ... ). Aside from that, the only things I can do free of guilt is travelling, reading dramas (and some books, like currently Goethe's Die Leiden des jungen Werther), indulging in beauty (that of nature most of all), contemplating, and talking to friends (online of course). Recently I have become a bit more lax again about the occasional game (although I still prefer to stray from it as I usually feel very guilty after playing one because of the time pulverized) and watching anime random things people link me to ...

Aside from that and as stupid as it may sound, I also think a lot. Recently, for the second time this year I have an amazing experiences in which nature reality itself spoke to me in an unmistakable and direct way, even answering a question of mine. ... The concept of Brahman from Hinduism greatly appeals to me, as does this kind of faith in general; I can recognize a lot of the views I had developed myself, can identify with its concepts and see truth and wisdom in its teachings and suggestions.
Sometimes I'm taken aback at how many weird little things we have in common. But then you go and say things like "Sonic 2k6 had good level design" and I don't know what to think.

It's comforting to hear that everyone else is as far behind on their list of games as I am, but my lagging is for a more unusual reason. After finishing Twilight Princess about 2 years ago I decided to take a break and focus on making my RPGMaker game, though I'd still intended to watch some anime and maybe play a few short games after work when there was a bit of free time but not enough to start on anything creative. Long story short, I felt compelled to abandon them all one after another as an act of self sacrifice, and oblation to God, eventually leaving only my creative work. So, uh, I guess my answer is that writing is my only hobby, and I have a feeling that by the time I'm done with what I'm making circumstances won't permit me to revisit my childhood pass-times. All of my other time is taken up with work, prayer, and, now that I'm living on my own, food shopping and laundry.

Dr. Watson

Post by Dr. Watson »

I envy those of you who despite studying at a universiety level somehow seem to find the time to both surf around on the net, and play video games, and do non-geek stuff.

As for me, my time is almost completely consumed by studies and net surfin. I only find the time to play video games about once a week (usually at my best buddys house, meaning that it's usually not even my own video games that i play), and about the only non-geek activity i ever do is to go to various flee markets and shit in order to try to find funny-looking knock-off's of characters that i like. Like Batman, The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and My Little Ponies.

...What? It counts as a non-geek-activity if it involves interaction with people you dont know! And flee market cashiers are people to!!!

Ritz
Shit Twizzler
Now Playing: Every PC Engine game

Post by Ritz »

I graduated from high school relatively recently (7 months ago), and I've since spent my time languishing away in front of this computer nearly every waking hour of every day. I was sort of hoping I wouldn't be the only lazy fuck in that position here in hopes of boosting my self-esteem just a tad, but you people just couldn't afford me that solace, could you?

As far as hobbies go, I don't really have any dedicated interests right now. I got a bike recently, and it was my one true love BFF 4ever xoxo for a month or two. I fucking love bikes, but it wasn't long before I wound up busting the front brakes and I haven't really bothered riding it since. By the time I get around to exchanging it for something less broken, it'll probably be too cold to ride it, anyway. It was fun to have an excuse to get out of the house while it lasted, though. Before that, jogging was my thing, but I'll never be able to go back to that now.

Oh, and there's drawing. Drawing has been my big thing for a while now, but even after 3 or so years, I still haven't gotten over the initial learning hump where you finally start creating things that don't look like shit, so it's practically impossible for me to work up the motivation to even attempt it- I understand that just about 98% of all the artists who ever amounted to anything were the sort of people who've been drawing since adolescence, a time where the quality of your work isn't a hindrance because you're only drawing for the fun of it, so shame on me for taking this long to get into it, I guess. Regardless, I still have a pretty intense interest in the arts and all of my ideal career paths revolve around me being able to paint at a Conceptart.org level of skill, so I'm really trying to crack down on that and make some progress.

All the same, I'm really starting to doubt that my work ethic will ever be up to par for a competitive job in the entertainment industry as a concept artist or anything, so I'm beginning to consider biting the bullet and taking up an entirely different career altogether. I've been particularly interested in becoming a pilot lately, and it actually seems to be within the realm of possibility for me, as flight school isn't the sort of setting where my abysmal GPA would have any sort of impact on my progress whatsoever. So that means my top priority right now is to get a job, and I suppose I'll stick with that for a year or two until I've earned the odd $32,000 required for me to pursue that pipe dream. Of course, that'd also mean I'd have to pass a class 3 or higher medical exam as soon as possible, since my eyes and ears seem to be failing me at a breakneck pace and it'd suck beyond all comprehension if I was barred from even attempting to fly right off the bat.

As for other interests, I like thinking, too! I do a lot of thinking, which has had the unfortunate consequence of granting me an overwhelming fondness for the anarchist philosophy. I haven't even scratched the surface of it yet, but I'm pretty certain that the more I dig, the more chuffed I'm going to become with this line of thought, which will only lead me to become progressively more discontent with our current social hierarchy and the fact that nothing will ever change it, ever. So that will most likely end with me meeting up with the friend who got me into this in the first place, and then we'll probably lead a life of travel, poverty, recreational drugs and body odor together. I'm really looking forward to it.

Oh, and I haven't been playing too many games recently either, save for Nomltest which has got me hooked like you wouldn't believe. Man, what is up with that, guys? Were our parents right all along? Are we actually outgrowing games? This is terrible.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Ritz I always assumed you were like, 26 or something.

Sounds like drawing is a popular vocation for geeks to pursue these days. I'm in my senior year of animation school and did a story boarding internship at pixar last summer. Hopefully I'll be able to break into the industry next year. As far as non geek oriented hobbies go, I suppose animation and drawing don't count for shit.

I love boardgames and recently bought a copy of one of my favorite childhood games, forbidden bridge. I Don't actually get to play very many video games lately but when I do, I find myself playing the same old favorites over and over again like a broken record (Albert Odyssey, Mega Man X 4, PSO, and Sonic R are probably the games most played in my life.) I've been pretty disenchanted with the games to come out in the past five years which probably has a lot to do with it.

Reading books is also great. Just read some short stories if you're not into slogging through hundreds of pages.

Instruments are great. I'm pretty terrible at piano but I enjoy playing it because there's absolutely no pressure what so ever on me to produce anything of worth.

Most of all though, I enjoy spending time with my friends. When the chips are down, I think that's the most important thing there is.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

Radrappy wrote:I'm in my senior year of animation school and did a story boarding internship at pixar last summer.
Mind if I ask what school and what your experience was?

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Delphine wrote:
gr4yJ4Y wrote:
Delphine wrote:I'm finally in a situation in which I don't feel like my every move is under a microscope.
I hope one day to achieve that...
Move the fuck away. As far as you need to.
I was hoping to move away for college in 2005, but that didn't work out and never happened. I'll be graduating this May from the college by my house if everything goes according to plan. And then within a year of finding a job I should be able to move out finally. Right now I don't have enough money for my own place or even an apartment. I was thinking about going to either Japan or China for a bit before really looking for work (there's various programs I could go through to get there).

So yeah... Moving is in the works, but not right now.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

(Sorry for double posting...)
Opa-Opa wrote:
Shadow Hog wrote:
Neo wrote:
Same.
Yep.
This was happening to me last year, so I made it my New Year's Resolution for 2009 to buy no more than one game per month. I saved a lot of money and actually ended up buying only a few games this year (more because of being broke than anything). I'm pretty much all caught up now and I've even rid myself of being addicted to buying games. I only buy the games I really want and I'm actually going to play through. I used to go looking for games at stores and trying to find games I was interested in at low prices and picking them up and that being the only games I bought. Now I buy the games that I want the most (without taking price into consideration as much) and so my collection pretty much only has games that I'm playing through and games that I've already played through.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

I have no idea how this fits into the American education system (I'm British), but I was supposed be in university at this point. That ended up having to be postponed by a year (I was predicted straight A's and missed my offer by a single grade, but as I took 50% more subjects than the average student, my 2nd choice university guaranteed me a spot for the next year). So now I'm on a gap year with nothing to do and all my (remarkably few) friends are off doing student things while I sit at home masturbating et cetera.

Well, I mean, I've been doing small things. Like studying from home to retake the exam I missed last year, although I'm not expecting it to go well and my teachers aren't terribly supportive. I've been learning to cook, usually with my younger sister or occasionally a parent since it can be an enjoyable family experience as well. That said, I'm sick of being dependent of my parents so I'm aiming to be entirely self-sufficient before my year is over. I was going to get a job over the Christmas period but I was too hesitant and thus missed out on everything I was interested in (story of my life, by the way). In the Spring, one of my friends will leave their job and there's about a 3 month period in which we're hoping to be able to do some traveling; right now it looks like America, since we both want to visit it and our family has a few contacts there who could house us for a while. Oh, and I've been working out from home, with surprising success. I've never considered myself as ugly, really, but since I have free time I might as well exercise to improve my self-image.

But the big thing I've been doing, the scariest one at least, is learning to drive. I'm not a natural driver. The very idea of controlling a huge chunk of steel in close proximity to other huge chunks of steel at high speeds is terrifying. But lately I've been doing it remarkably well, and my instructor has been badgering me to take my theory test in the near future (it's not going to happen with this exam coming up, though) so I guess I must be getting better. It would feel good if I got my license. I'd appreciate some tangible evidence that I overcame one of my fears and didn't entirely waste my 12 months of free time.

In terms of video games, I've been severely hindered by my lack of gaming platforms. Now I'm running a Mac I don't even have Steam anymore unless I'm borrowing my sister's desktop (located in her room for maximum awkwardness), so I'm left with a Wii and a DS. I'm totally sick of World of Warcraft but it's one of the few games that will actually run on a Mac and since a lot of my student friends play it I feel like I should too, if only to stay in touch. I haven't bought a Wii game in months and I don't intend to buy any more until Christmas has come and gone, since I have no idea what my family will get me for a present, and my birthday is the same week as Christmas so they'll probably get me a few of them. I have no job and I feel guilty about spending my savings on a 360/PS3 during a gap year (even though most of it is gift money from relatives that I would probably be spending on video games even if I was at Uni right now), I think the last video game I bought was Mario & Luigi 3 (I really, really enjoyed Superstar Saga, but this time it was only modestly entertaining).

Rather than buying new games, I've been catching up on previous generation ones that I missed out on. Macintosh fortunately has a lot of emulation support, so I can catch up on the GBA/SNES/Genesis library, and even a few of the N64 games where keyboard control doesn't butcher the experience. The last game I emulated was FF:Tactics Advanced, but I found it incredibly tedious so I guess it's time to look elsewhere.

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Right now I'm just getting ready for a Microsoft OEM-certified test so I can apply at some small PC shop near home for repairing and assembling new computers... which I guess still counts as geeky stuff, doesn't it?

Well, there's always this little side-project where I'm translating as many articles as I can of a Spanish videogame website for a bigger, English-based one... oh yeah, still geeky.

¯\(º_º)/¯
Arcade wrote:And in those COLD winter nights, I drinkblack beer

Y en esas frias noches de invierno, tomo cervesa negra
Equitably distributing your grammar failures between both languages. Good job, 'cade.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Occasionally I'm a student, and I'm on the cusp of completing my BA top-up in Game Design, having spent far too long at college back home studying Animation and various other relevant disciplines. I'm pretty much over-qualified for most courses and probably most jobs, but I haven't quite gotten the hang of being a responsible adult yet. I refused to go to university proper, and from seeing how the kids live these days I don't think I missed much. I spend a fair bit of time each day feeling my age, especially when I refer to eighteen-year-olds as "kids".

Moved down solo to the venerable 'South West' a couple months back to finish my degree and now I live ten minutes from the Atlantic Ocean with five people I don't know. Luckily for me, they're all very pleasant. It rains all the goddamn time. Money's tight these days, so I spend a lot of time coming up with cheap ways to entertain myself, which usually amounts to getting really fucking stoned and watching Disney films. I smoke a lot of weed and drink a lot of ale. I also play a lot of World of Warcraft, which is arguably more damaging to my health, but I can write it off (punlol) as research for my final paper, so that's cool. I don't sleep much.

I don't really have any of those new-fangled gaming consoles, so on occasion I work through my back-catalogue of PS2 and Wii games. I did share that unfortunate trait of buying stuff without really wanting it, but being poor really helps you get the most out of the stuff you've already got. Games aside, I have a passing interest in astronomy, I read a few good books now and again, and I love drawing and playing guitar. I'm aiming to be a concept artist or a musician, whichever comes first or seems more plausible.

I have a absolute sweetheart of a girlfriend who lives up North, and I plan to save up a buttload of cash and one day make an honest woman out of her. Playing the field ain't so fun when the grass is greener on the other side. She's pretty much the only thing that makes me want to grow up. Insert your own boner joke here, I guess.

Crazy Penguin
Drano Master

Post by Crazy Penguin »

j-man wrote:Insert your own boner

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Yeah, that'll do.

Popcorn
The Peanut Gallery

Post by Popcorn »

I am a writer for Frontier.

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

Lately in between working (as a freelance animator, wahey) I have mostly been transposing videogame (and very occasionally anime) music into Mario Paint Composer. Here's the only one I've done so far that I made public in any way (it's the third opening theme from Pani Poni Dash, for those who might know it).

I also occasionally write in my blog. I don't do that enough, though. There's about one person who actually reads it, but I don't care, I enjoy it.

These are about as close as I can get to describing actual hobbies. But, dammit, when I work I work hard, and I love what I do.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

So who all here has art/media jobs of some kind? It turns out that I may have to stop doing what I'm doing with my life (being the manager, buyer, bad accountant, and generally everything else for a kids' store) and do something else instead, and it would be really great if I could get paid seriously without having to go back to school. I want to do something illustrative especially (as I lack any animation training and pretty much hate all modern video games), but I really have no idea where to even begin with that. You guys.. know anything about that? Should I even be trying?

Opa-Opa
Now Playing: The Red Ring of Death (X360)

Post by Opa-Opa »

What a nice, talented bunch we have here.

I dunno Silver. I think you should. I remember playing Sky Puppy and it was pretty sweet. I actually brought it up during some Game Design classes I'm taking as a good example of creativity to overcome some kind of extreme boundary a briefing could have (the example there being the "one button" thing).

Damn j-man, I relate a lot to most of the stuff you said about college, working and growing up.

Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I'm using the new PSP/PS3 ADHOC Party addon, Monster Hunter PSP is the craze now, but Im playing other PSP games.

Sorry but my life IS games, heck I'm studying Game Design...although a gamer and a game designer is not such a good combination. I wish I was more boring, so I could study more.

Syntheticgerbil

Post by Syntheticgerbil »

Hmm, I actually work at a small video game company in Texas (not in Austin) doing art, concept, and animation for focus group educational games that no one would ever want to play voluntarily. It's mostly 2D flash stuff. I would like to break out into commercial games soon in Austin preferably, but I've been spending my years since graduating rushing to stay focused and do portfolio type artwork outside of my job. I was really losing myself to alcohol and sloth for a while after graduation.

I also don't have enough time to play almost any video game and have since accumulated an enormous backlog of games to play. Everything is stressing me out.

I guess none of this matters since I never really post here, I just lurk and watch you guys talk all the time.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

It's a bit of a tangential issue, but am I the only one who feels that video games are a hugely untapped medium for education? If someone were to create an edutainment game that was to video games what Sesame Street was to children's television, they'd be sitting on a gold mine. I still have fond memories of The Magic School Bus video games, they really brought out the completionist in my pre-teen self in a way that no other video game ever has (it was also my favourite Saturday morning cartoon show at the time, if that's any indication of what a gargantuan nerd I am). Discovering a genuinely interesting nugget of information was just as rewarding as anything I could find in Mario World, although admittedly the discovery process itself was incredibly tedious. It's really quite tragic that I can't think of a single educational video game that holds even the slightest amount of credit among gamers.