Soul Bubbles

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Soul Bubbles

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I recently discovered a little gem for the DS recently called Soul Bubbles. And by "discovered", I mean haven't fucking heard it 'til now because it was a Toys R Us exclusive for whatever reason; if it had gotten advertised I wouldn't know 'cause they hardly have anything I want and when they do its price has been gouged all the way fuck way. Apparently many feel the same since it bombed hard.

Anyway, the game revolves around moving souls from point A to point B via bubbles. You move said bubbles by moving the stylus towards the bubble. Of course there're hazards such as spikes and enemies, the latter of which can be dispatched in certain ways. You are given three mask with which progress; a tiger mask that is used to divide and combine bubbles, and also to cut ropes; an elephant mask to reduce and eventually destroy bubbles; a bird mask to draw new bubbles, which can be useful for recapturing vulnerable souls, collect out of reach star dust or encapsulate certain gases and liquids.

Each world has its own gimmick(s), like an (ant?)arctic world wherein all your bubbles freeze and zoom across the landscape. It's quite fun and you really can get some impressive speed going. They're all quite artful, too, with water-color style backrounds and relaxing ambient music. The bubbles are durable and the souls can last some time outside of them, so it's not very challenging, but I think that was the intention.

Anyway, it's only ten dollars plus (shipping and) taxes, and I really recommend it.

Neo

Re: Soul Bubbles

Post by Neo »

I played the demo on Nintendo Channel, and it was a pretty good experience. But I didn't feel compelled to buy the entire game.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I played the demo too and thought it was an amazingly relaxing experience for a game. I'm pretty sure that was the point of the game. The music, sound effects, colors, and easiness all mellowed me out.

I've heard people compare it to Lost Winds a lot, which I was more interested in, but never got around to either of them.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I thought it was a lot like Loco Roco in certain ways, like the bubble physics and the ability to divvy and (re)combine them. But it's really a spiritual (PU) successor to Bubble Ghost, which is French-developed too.

My only complaint is that the box it came in is in less-than-stellar condition, not to mention a fucking ugly watermark. . Apparently TRU resents having these things.

Samface
Now Playing: Professor Layton and Pandora's Box, Enslaved

Post by Samface »

I got to the final world that you have to unlock by collecting fifty butternut-squash-things or whatever, but never got round to finishing it. There's too many bits where you have to blow against the wind in the later levels, which is annoying.

But yeah, for ten bucks I'd say it's certainly worth a pop (pun not intended). The earlier levels are great. I like the way each world is themed around a different culture's afterlife myths.