Cool hair

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Cool hair

Post by Green Gibbon! »

My patience for the Whatsis-May-Cry genre is usually limited to 10 or 15 minutes per game. The only two I've ever played to any significant length are the original Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden 1. The rest can go out with the bath water.

But just so you know, Bayonetta is awesome.

It's hard to put my finger on exactly why that is. The evade button is the first thing I'd think to single out - it forces you to actually pay attention to what the enemies are doing and react appropriately, even while stupidly hacking away. A well-timed evade is rewarded with a temporary Matrix bullet time pivotal to toppling stronger enemies that might otherwise be impervious to all-important aerial combos. If you're good, you can even start a combo, evade, then continue the combo from where you left off. BUT I can't say for certain that this is an innovation unique to Bayonetta. Ninja Gaiden may have had something similar to this, I honestly don't remember, but if it has been done, I'm pretty sure it's never been implemented this effectively.

The combo list is intimidatingly long - just the basic, out-the-box list is at least two or three dozen, and of course there are additional moves you can purchase. Once again, this is nothing new, but the implementation is stunning. It has a very different feel from anything that's been done up to now. It never feels like I'm button mashing - Bayonetta is a tool, and I am in full control at every juncture and half juncture. When she does something awesome, it's because I pulled the strings, not because I thumb-kongad my way into an accidental victory. It is remarkably fluid in a way nothing in the genre has approached up until now.

Of course, cheese and style are stacked sky high. The game has no fear of persecution. It's beautiful, outrageous, hilarious, stylish, and surprisingly engaging. The cinemas may drag on a little long for some people, but they're skippable and half the charm is in the unapologetically outlandish narrative.

So yeah, this isn't another MeToo-May-Cry. It feels like the first genuine step forward since the genre was created. I'm still in the early stages as yet, but it's already the best game I've played this year (not like that's saying much).

Of course, you losers all have to wait until January. Image

Shadow Hog

Re: Cool hair

Post by Shadow Hog »

Green Gibbon! wrote:It's hard to put my finger on exactly why that is. The evade button is the first thing I'd think to single out - it forces you to actually pay attention to what the enemies are doing and react appropriately, even while stupidly hacking away. A well-timed evade is rewarded with a temporary Matrix bullet time pivotal to toppling stronger enemies that might otherwise be impervious to all-important aerial combos. If you're good, you can even start a combo, evade, then continue the combo from where you left off. BUT I can't say for certain that this is an innovation unique to Bayonetta. Ninja Gaiden may have had something similar to this, I honestly don't remember, but if it has been done, I'm pretty sure it's never been implemented this effectively.
Sounds kind of like Batman: Arkham Asylum, actually. You can do combos, which get broken if you get hit. So, naturally, you have to prevent that, but you don't evade, oh no - you deflect the attacks and turn them right back on the attacker, because you're the goddamn Batman. It works WONDERFULLY, surprisingly - what should devolve into tiresome button-mashing affairs actually feel fluid, fun, and left me actively looking forward to the next fight. A nice contrast to the stealthy segments in which the Devil May Cry approach just kills you dead.

And you don't get it until January 14th. Image (Actually you've probably already imported it haven't you)

Delphine
Horrid, Pmpous Wench
Now Playing: DOVAHKIIN

Post by Delphine »

Well, if Gibs likes it, I guess I'll have to give it a go.

Oh, and everything SH said about Arkham Asylum. They do this stupid fetch quest with Riddler crap, but you can ignore that completely. The rest is pretty great.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Which version are you playing? The PS3 version supposedly has technical issues, but fuck the 360.

Also, the best game of the year is Uncharted 2. That's not a discussion.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I got it for the 360, of course. Why in the world would I want to get the inferior version?

What's the big deal with Uncharted 2, anyway? I played the demo of the original back when it came out and was completely underwhelmed, as I usually am with Naughty Dog. Is the sequel that much of an improvement?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I thought it was a movie!

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

So is that good or bad?

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

UCHU

Post by UCHU »

Green Gibbon! wrote:I got it for the 360, of course. Why in the world would I want to get the inferior version?

What's the big deal with Uncharted 2, anyway? I played the demo of the original back when it came out and was completely underwhelmed, as I usually am with Naughty Dog. Is the sequel that much of an improvement?
It's because it's basically Gears of War except with a protagonist who likes to spew generic, sarcastic bullshit every two seconds. It's also OMG CINEMATIC...gamers seem to love that for some reason. I would try Uncharted 2, but after seeing how they handled the Jak series after the first one...yeah.

Anyways, Bayonetta looks pretty fucking awesome and I want it.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

The Uncharted 1 demo is not a good way to get a realistic estimation of the full experience. I'd recommend just picking up the game and playing it.

Uncharted 2 is pretty much the most refined third-person shooter/action/platformer ever made, with acting, cinematics, and action setpieces that blend the experience of playing a video game and watching the story unfold so seamlessly it probably makes Kojima cry himself to sleep in jealous rage. Also, Nathan Drake is only the most likable protagonist of this entire generation of video games. I've already beaten the game twice, and the multiplayer is also the most fun I've had this year in an online mode, but I know GG! doesn't care about that part. Even completely divorced of the multiplayer aspect, Uncharted 2 is one of the most coherent, enjoyable single player experiences I've ever played, and quite a few other people agree with me. Basically, if you like Indiana Jones at all, there's no reason for you not to love Uncharted.

Haha, but it sucks because of perceived issues I picked out of some videos I watched and impressions I read on the Internet. Not that I've actually tried playing it or anything.

(UCHU is dumb.)

UCHU

Post by UCHU »

Segaholic2 wrote:Haha, but it sucks because of perceived issues I picked out of some videos I watched and impressions I read on the Internet. Not that I've actually tried playing it or anything.

(UCHU is dumb.)
I have played the first one. In it's entirety, I might add. It was incredibly dull. It basically amounted down to shooting clones of the same enemy over and over again for about a few hours with Drake going, "OH GREAT" every time you ran into something that moved.

Then to top it off, all of those monotonous shooting sequences built up to a lame-ass QTE sequence instead of an actual confrontation with the final boss, unless you count that bullshit part where you had to dodge his instant-kill shotgun while you were being assaulted by his army of cronies from every single direction for god knows how long.

Sorry, but Uncharted gets a yawn from me.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

Your opinion is wrong about everything.

UCHU

Post by UCHU »

Segaholic2 wrote:Your opinion is wrong about everything.
So are you going to respond to my points or what?

Look, I'm not saying you can't enjoy Uncharted. I could care less about what you think of it. I'm just saying what I honestly thought about it.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Now, children.

So, you know how you start playing a really awesome game for a couple of days and then you have to stop knowing you won't have time to play again for another four or five days?

That shit sucks.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

UCHU wrote:I could care less about what you think of it.
You could?

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Now, I couldn't get my hands on either of the Uncharted games yet and highly doubt I'll in the short term, but I got this impression that the first one was a pretty good looking yet monotonous and highly derivative Gears + Prince of Persia clone (I know Gears itself is monotonous-looking and gray and full of 'roided thugs and whatever else people whine 'bout it, but Epic introduced this "destroyed beauty" concept brilliantly and coherently with the game's cover mechanics) in the same fashion both Resistance games and Killzone 2 were poor Halo clones... but my impressions on Uncharted 2 are nothing less than absolute awe. I concur with Holic on almost everything, it looks much deeper and more varied, even though, as I said earlier, I haven't played it first-hand, so I don't know exactly how well it controls, among other things.

Ditto Bayonetta.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

I played the Batman demo. It's completely different from Bayonetta - it's not even really Batman May Cry, it's more like Final Batman Fight or Batman Knuckle. It seems pretty solid, but comparing it to Bayonetta's like comparing a sturdy mountain bike to a rocket-powered unicycle. With boobies.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

Batman was good, but I had a lot of issues with the last third of the game. The combat system is deceptively simple at first, but getting your combo meter up really high is all about situational awareness and knowing what to do when. I liked the game overall a lot, but it had a very weak last third.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

I wasn't really that interested in Uncharted 1, but the Uncharted 2 multiplayer beta got me hooked. Segaholic, will it matter that I haven't played through the first game if I jump into the second game first? I've been debating if it's important that I play through the first game to grasp the story or not. And I've been waiting to get some disposable income...

If I was judging entirely based on the demos of both Uncharted 2 and Bayonetta, I'd say Uncharted 2 is better. But why would you compare those two in the first place? I haven't played through any games in Bayonetta's genre, but it does have an intangible something that reminded me of Okami and the Viewtiful Joe games. Obviously it's the signature of Hideki Kamiya. I also like the ridiculous over-the-top action movie feel to it.

Segaholic2
Forum God

Post by Segaholic2 »

The only thing you'll be missing if you skip to Uncharted 2 is all the characterization and back-story from the first game. All three major characters from the first game are featured prominently in the sequel, so if you care at all about the interactions and subtle character development, you should probably play through Uncharted 1 first. I wouldn't recommend playing Uncharted 2 first and then going back to Uncharted 1 for the back-story, since the technical and gameplay improvements made in 2 would probably make 1 feel really tedious at parts.

Of course, if you don't care at all, just go straight for 2. Story-wise, both games are great pastiches of the Indiana Jones-type adventure genre.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

I've been playing through the first Uncharted and I'm really enjoying it. It does almost nothing new, really, but it's very charming and solidly executed. And it draws inspiration from some surprising sources! (Well, surprising to me, anyhow.) It's kind of weird seeing those little traces of Ico in what is essentially the gaming equivalent of a popcorn movie. The gunplay sections and platforming sections do feel a little disjointed from one another. I hear that's something they improve upon in the second one? I'm looking forward to playing through them both and seeing the evolution.

Every fibre of my being wants to love Batman. The gameplay is a great representation of all things Bats, the script is dead-on, and the voice cast is (of course) phenomenal. But god, it's just so ugly. It physically pains me to just look at it. It's like Gears of War vomited on a copy of Dark Knight Returns.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

While it definitely has the usual "HEY LOOK THIS GAME WAS MADE WITH UNREAL ENGINE 3" feel to it (ie: muted colors up the ass), I dunno, I think that kind of works, given the source material. It's not like I'd want a Batman game to be bright and colorful, unless it were adapting the '60s show. Which I really would prefer they didn't.

Senbei
Now Playing: Art school...

Post by Senbei »

At least Arkham Asylum doesn't have the Jim Lee styling that they're using in the DC Universe MMO, but it feels really similar. Why is Commissioner Gordon so damn buff? But, the only thing that really, really bothered me was Harley's outfit.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Honestly, it's not the lack of colour... it's the character design. It's just atrocious... the worst kind of hyper-macho pablum American game design has to offer.

Batman is a character who has looked great in a wide variety of visual aesthetics over the years. But ridiculously fat necks, tiny heads, and steroid-addled pro-wrestlers bodies are not a good on anyone... no mater how very, very shiny they are. Batman is so over-pumped, he practically looks like Bane... so of course, Bane has to look even MORE retarded. And then we have Harley Quinne, who looks like she should be on the cover of an Insane Clown Posse album:

It's all very competently executed on a technical level, though! At times, the game looks quite pretty, especially the environments. I just hate the character aesthetic. If they were going to be this dead-set on crafting a more gritty, realistic style, I wish they'd pushed it more in the direction of the Nolan films.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Esrever wrote:And then we have Harley Quinn, who looks like she should be on the cover of an Insane Clown Posse album.
I'm almost sure that was intentional.

I was wondering why nobody said anything about Arkham Asylum before, but yeah. From the little I've played/watched my friend play, it's really fun - I was kind of irked by Poison Ivy's characterization (she practicaly moans during her fight, what the hell), but that was compensated by the subtle ability to terrorize mooks, the great research on Batman's mythos, almost everything Mark Hamill the Joker says, and of course, the gameplay itself. And it has the honor of making Killer Croc a credible threat (read: the sewer section).

But enough bat-hijacking. Bayonetta and Uncharted 2 seem pretty good, from everything you said... I guess I have some recommendations to make.