Old People Gaming -or- Return of the DS Phat

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Yami CJMErl

Old People Gaming -or- Return of the DS Phat

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Nintendo DSi LL - with extra-big screens for the senior citizens! (No, seriously, that's why they're making it)

Also, I hear it's going to Europe early next year as the "DSi XL".

Crisis

Re: Old People Gaming -or- Return of the DS Phat

Post by Crisis »

My original model DS is starting to show some wear and tear and I've been thinking about getting a replacement. What's generally considered the best model? Original, Lite or DSi? Or perhaps I should wait for this?

Cadpig

Post by Cadpig »

I love my Lite. I would recommend a Lite and Bangai-O Spirits.

Yami CJMErl

Post by Yami CJMErl »

Well, I WOULD normally say DSi, as long as you can stomach the lack of GBA support. Now I'm not so sure--it seems Nintendo keeps revising this thing on an annual basis these days.

The Turtle Guy
Now Playing: Metroid Prime Trilogy, Again (the game, not the adverb)

Post by The Turtle Guy »

*groan*

This is getting ridiculous. Another one? Really?

I've shied away from the DSi so far because my DSL is still in working order. It has some badass new features, but I just keep think about what it dropped. Like some battery life. And my GBA games. And Guitar Hero. I love me some Guitar Hero.

Yet this big motherfucker seems kind of cool. And look, they're releasing it on my birthday. They're taunting me.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

What part of "for old folk" don't people understand?

Have fun with warped resolution when you all pick this up.

Neo

Post by Neo »

What "warped resolution", the screen is the same, except the pixels are bigger...

I don't get what appeal this has. If anything, I'd want a LIGHTER console, not a heavier one. PSP kinda gets away with it because you always hold it with both hands.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Neo wrote:What "warped resolution", the screen is the same, except the pixels are bigger....
I figured it was either bigger pixels or more pixels. Either way, they don't do the already chunky graphics any favors.

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

This is probably an overly broad and sweeping generalization, but do the elderly even play videogames?

Crowbar

Post by Crowbar »

I don't know about videogames, but they do play the DS.

Esrever
Drano Master

Post by Esrever »

Geeze, dudes... you don't need to be "elderly" to have trouble reading small text.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Esrever wrote:Geeze, dudes... you don't need to be "elderly" to have trouble reading small text.
Ha ha, you're old.

Dash

Post by Dash »

DSi LL... What? Is it something engrish-y like Large Large or Double Large? I can understand the European change to XL instead, but I'm kind of hoping they keep it LL for American release. "DSi Livin' Large" just has too much marketing potential.

Honestly though, I might get it for my Mom. She enjoys playing Layton on my DS but would likely enjoy the bigger screen space. And if Popcap ever gets on the DSiWare train she'd be set with a portable copy of Bookworm Adventures.

Before we all start calling her a totally casual gamer, she actually plays TF2 almost every night on 360. I still don't believe it myself.

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Neo wrote:I don't get what appeal this has. If anything, I'd want a LIGHTER console, not a heavier one. PSP kinda gets away with it because you always hold it with both hands.
Yeah, that extra 100 grams is murder.

Neo

Post by Neo »

G.Silver wrote:Yeah, that extra 100 grams is murder.
Considering that's about 150% of the Lite/DSi's weight, yes it is!

Holding the thing with one hand for long periods of time eventually tires out your wrist. I know I couldn't play Metroid Prime Hunters on my phat without some kind of support, like a table, etc.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

The original model is the best if you are a guy with big hands, the DSL is for small hands (Ala, for girls), and the DSI is crap...

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Neo wrote:
G.Silver wrote:Yeah, that extra 100 grams is murder.
Considering that's about 150% of the Lite/DSi's weight, yes it is!
I can't stand to see it phrased like that! About 300g is 150% of the DSi's 200g, yes, but it's still only 300g.
Holding the thing with one hand for long periods of time eventually tires out your wrist. I know I couldn't play Metroid Prime Hunters on my phat without some kind of support, like a table, etc.
I was going to put something in here about possibly improving your wrist strength with an increase in regular masturbation (a GHZ approved method), but do you play differently on the DSi or DSL? I almost never hold the DS up in the air as I play, and it's the same for any controller, actually. When I think about it, I tend to keep controllers on my lap, or brace my arms against my waist. Holding your arms up for any length of time is going to be tiring, even if you're not doing anything.

Neo

Post by Neo »

But it's much more tiring the more weight you put on it. So, weight does matter a whole lot.

With my Lite, while I may support my elbow on something (ike the arm or back of a chair), I hold the console up in the air. I couldn't do that with my Phat without my wrist cramping.
G.Silver wrote:I was going to put something in here about possibly improving your wrist strength with an increase in regular masturbation (a GHZ approved method)
Now you got me thinking. Is there a correlation between left- or right-handedness and which hand you use to grab your willy?

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

I assume there is.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Once I broke my right arm and had to learn to jerk with my left. It was pretty tricky. Actually, I have a cousin who once broke both arms at the same time. To this day I wonder how he managed.

HAVING THAT SAID. The original humongous DS hurt my wrists in ways the newer models don't, but I still consider the Lite to be the worst model unless you like fingerprints and smears of mysterious constitution. The DSi is pretty much the best handheld design ever.

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Sometimes I jerk off with my left hand, just to mix things up a bit.

But I don't have a DS. Sorry. Do carry on.

Kogen
Now Playing: Reading the Holy Torah

Post by Kogen »

Green Gibbon! wrote:Once I broke my right arm and had to learn to jerk with my left. It was pretty tricky. Actually, I have a cousin who once broke both arms at the same time. To this day I wonder how he managed.
There are these things called women. I can explain it to you later.

As for the game thing, I am not really sure if I would get it. I have a DS Lite like a lot of people and it works fine. This being bigger, slightly faster, and having some useless features is not exactly making me crave getting it. Only the speakers really need improvement on the Lite.

Samface
Now Playing: Professor Layton and Pandora's Box, Enslaved

Post by Samface »

Green Gibbon! wrote: Actually, I have a cousin who once broke both arms at the same time. To this day I wonder how he managed.
Learnt to use his feet?

My DS Original Old-School Phat Whatever does get a little heavy after a while, but I've never been one to upgrade just for the sake of it. My iPod is a 2005-era Shuffle that only holds 130 songs, fer Chrissakes.

I have contributed to this conversation.