The best Sonic game would be a Sonic MMO.

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
ShinjukuNeedlemouse

The best Sonic game would be a Sonic MMO.

Post by ShinjukuNeedlemouse »

So I got to thinking about things, and suddenly I had an idea (you can be the judge if it's good or bad). Imagine something like Sonic Adventure, running on Unreal 3, but massively multiplayer.

The storyline would be something Sonic-y, I'd like to see a return of Chaos, and of course Eggman would be a boss as well. All major characters would be NPCs, however there would be an in-depth character creation system to rival even AION. Everyone could choose from character types that resemble the main characters, but you could change their colors (including directly painting them like Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles) and choosing the clothes, etc. That would satisfy the recolor fans.

The world would have to have every level from everything Sonic related, but patched together cohesively. (Obviously you couldn't do this with the release, you'd have to slowly add everything with expansions.)

The MMO would be like any other MMO with leveling and quests, but since you could travel through the world at Sonic Adventure speeds, the quests would have to be much harder than normal, the world would be as filled with loops and rails and other Sonic-y things as any level in Sonic Adventure except this time THERE WOULD BE AN AMAZING FUCKING CAMERA THAT WOULD BE SO GREAT IT WOULD FALL JUST SHY OF CURING CANCER.

There would be no weapons, and no magic, just standard Sonic Adventure style hopping and spindashing. You may think this would be dull for an MMO, but I think it could put an stronger emphasis on strategy and not be as boring as press spell macro button, watch hitpoints of enemy decrease, lather rinse repeat. There would be drops, there would also be the Item boxes too, however they would be rare. The economy would be tricky to pull off. You could put rings everywhere like a Sonic game, but you'd have to jack up prices to compensate. I think what would work better is if you had a few rings here and there, and you could get rings by finding them or crashing into players who don't have a Shield item. You could disable PVP, but you could never disable ring theft.

The Chao stuff like Karate and Race and the general A-Life part would make a comeback too, but just like the original it would be optional. You could have Chao auctions, and win items for your Chao, and trade Chaos.

I dunno, it's probably stupid. But if it came out, I'd buy it.

Shadow Hog

Re: The best Sonic game would be a Sonic MMO.

Post by Shadow Hog »

UnrealEngine 3? Just what the Sonic series needs, a chronic case of "real is brown".

Also I think there are far too many MMOs as it is and that we need a few more single-player experiences. It always pisses me off to see some great sprite work for a new game, piquing my interest, only to learn it's another Korean Maple Story-knockoff. Honestly, World of Warcraft is the only MMO anyone gives a shit about, why even bother?

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Shadow Hog wrote:UnrealEngine 3? Just what the Sonic series needs, a chronic case of "real is brown".
I think you're confusing id's engines with DE's, or only thinking of Gears Of War. There were lots of colors in Unreal Tounrament 3, Bioshock, Hail to the Chimp (used as an example of color, not quality), Mirror's Edge, and I believe the Last Remnant (but don't take my word on that one because I haven't played it).

We are FAR past the Quake 2 days, man.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

When I heard "UnrealEngine3", the games that came to mind were UT3, GoW, Bioshock and Batman: Arkham Asylum; all of which have a decent variety of different hues, but those hues are generally not very big on luminosity (generally coming across as various shades of gray). Then again, I wouldn't have Batman any other way.

But Mirror's Edge was UnrealEngine3? Huh. Guess there's some hope for that engine (in terms of luminosity) after all.

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Shadow Hog wrote:When I heard "UnrealEngine3", the games that came to mind were UT3, GoW, Bioshock and Batman: Arkham Asylum; all of which have a decent variety of different hues, but those hues are generally not very big on luminosity (generally coming across as various shades of gray). Then again, I wouldn't have Batman any other way.

But Mirror's Edge was UnrealEngine3? Huh. Guess there's some hope for that engine (in terms of luminosity) after all.
Yeah, that's possibly the biggest one to demonstrate bright colors, and no surprise, it's Swedish, not American. It's always the Americans and the Europeans who make games that are dark and grimy looking (save for some Japanese games like Silent Hill).

Zeta

Post by Zeta »

There already is a Sonic MMO, it's called Earth Eternal and has 16 different species of furry to play as, although I'm not sure if you can make them pink, blue, or bright red.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Counterpoint #2: there is already a good online multiplayer-friendly Sonic game running in an engine that powered FPSes, Sonic Robo Blast 2. Download and have a ball. Hell with MMOs.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Also, every Sonic game doing using oanother game engine, sucks in some way, yeah that includes "Sonic and the secret rings", despite the fact that I like it more than Sonic R...

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Zeta wrote:There already is a Sonic MMO, it's called Earth Eternal and has 16 different species of furry to play as, although I'm not sure if you can make them pink, blue, or bright red.
It's not Sonic though, with absolutely no Sonic gameplay. Read my posts past their inital sentences, please.

FlashTHD wrote:Counterpoint #2: there is already a good online multiplayer-friendly Sonic game running in an engine that powered FPSes, Sonic Robo Blast 2. Download and have a ball. Hell with MMOs.
I LOVE THIS GAME, I've had it for a year now. It's the only good fangame, IMO, and the BEST use of the Doom Engine ever.

CM August

Post by CM August »

I could never really get used to SRB2's controls and physics, despite the game being an impressive undertaking.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Post by P.P.A. »

Perhaps I would dislike SRB2 less if it didn't make my head spin to the point of almost feeling sick.

Neo

Post by Neo »

ShinjukuNeedlemouse wrote:words
X)
CM August wrote:I could never really get used to SRB2's controls and physics, despite the game being an impressive undertaking.
I think the problem most people have is that they actually leave the controls as the defaults and don't realise you're supposed to play it like the FPS it is. That is, WASD+mouselook or equivalent. Once you get to grips with the controls, they're as tight as they can possibly get.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

The best use of the Doom engine is Doom 2.

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Segaholic2 wrote:The best use of the Doom engine is Doom 2.
I think DOOM was better than DOOM 2, sure the levels in D2 were expansive and techincally impressive, but I think they sacrificed the creative charm and general cohesiveness of D1 in favor of gimmick levels designed to show off the little tricks they learned in the span of time from D1 to D2. The soundtrack is also unmemorable compared to the highly memorable (and highly plagarized) Doom 1 soundtrack.

I was never much of an id fan though, because when I got into FPS BLOOD was the hottest thing going, so I've always been a BUILD guy at heart.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

P.P.A. wrote:Perhaps I would dislike SRB2 less if it didn't make my head spin to the point of almost feeling sick.
Get a good controller with analog and turn on analog control. Camera rotation is manual, but it works. (remember to set the Rotate Camera L/R and Reset Camera buttons)

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

Everyone could choose from character types that resemble the main characters, but you could change their colors (including directly painting them like Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles) and choosing the clothes, etc.

terrifying

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Radrappy wrote:
Everyone could choose from character types that resemble the main characters, but you could change their colors (including directly painting them like Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles) and choosing the clothes, etc.

terrifying
Hey man, if you like looking at naked furries that's your thing, but I'd rather see them in clothes.

Radrappy
Now Playing: MvC3, Vanquish, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Post by Radrappy »

ShinjukuNeedlemouse wrote:
Radrappy wrote:

terrifying
Hey man, if you like looking at naked furries that's your thing, but I'd rather see them in clothes.
I thought this was a Sonic MMO. Last I checked sonic and his primary cast of pals weren't sporting any denim or chains.

Blount

Post by Blount »

Giving the main characters clothes would just make them look fan-made. Then the furries at Deviantart would have a field day writing in their journals about how SEGA used their characters without permission.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Besides, we all know they'll eschew the clothing and prefer to run around in the buff (inasmuch as Sonic characters are naked). They don't care about the clothes... what they do care about is the different colors. And that they get to go Super Saiyan L13,290,809,709,274,029,735,029,734,752,386,789,032,740,896,734 to fight Generic Evil Monstrosity Eggman Unleashed #13,289.

Crisis

Post by Crisis »

All that's really required for a good MMO is a lively and interesting overworld. The Sonic universe has literally hundreds of incredibly diverse locations to draw from, and the continuity is so loose that any developer could rewrite it from scratch and come up with something entertaining. We all know how much the Sonic franchise is a sucker for fanservice, I could see an MMO being very successful.

Would it be a good game though? That would depend on the quality of the writing and the design. WoW got a bit of head start over other MMOs, having an existing set of RPG abilities, classes and locations to draw on. It also had the common sense to not take itself too seriously and to interject humour at every possible juncture (something subsequent expansion packs seem to have forgotten). I could see a well-written, well-designed, faster paced and simplified Sonic MMO giving Warcraft a run for its money. Not only does it have an existing fanbase (that's *desperate* for something of good quality by this point), it could also appeal to a younger/more casual demographic that WoW still has problems attracting. While it might seem that MMO fans all tend to gravitate to WoW, that's only because there's no real alternative. There are very few MMOs that even hold a candle to WoW in any particular category, let alone every aspect of the game, which is really rather unfortunate as WoW is pretty poorly designed from a gameplay perspective.

Of course, the fact that a Sonic MMO *could* be a good game doesn't make it a good idea. It's a pretty terrible idea. MMOs are enormous projects where every aspect has to be looked at critically. The continuity has to be rewritten, the series' hallmark gameplay mechanics have to be rethought in the context of an MMO, classes have to be balanced, characters and enemies have to be redesigned, etc. The idea that SEGA has access to the funding and expertise that would get such a behemoth off the ground, when they can't even handle a singleplayer handheld RPG partnered with one of the biggest names in role playing games, is pretty ludicrous. It's not even a logical progression for the series, which has hardly begun to explore its potential as a 3D platformer. But hey, there's always room for wild speculation I suppose.

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Crisis wrote: Of course, the fact that a Sonic MMO *could* be a good game doesn't make it a good idea. It's a pretty terrible idea. MMOs are enormous projects where every aspect has to be looked at critically. The continuity has to be rewritten, the series' hallmark gameplay mechanics have to be rethought in the context of an MMO, classes have to be balanced, characters and enemies have to be redesigned, etc. The idea that SEGA has access to the funding and expertise that would get such a behemoth off the ground, when they can't even handle a singleplayer handheld RPG partnered with one of the biggest names in role playing games, is pretty ludicrous. It's not even a logical progression for the series, which has hardly begun to explore its potential as a 3D platformer. But hey, there's always room for wild speculation I suppose.
So you're saying that because SEGA was never a good company, my idea sucks? I can actually agree with that, no sarcasm.

UCHU

Post by UCHU »

The only good thing a Sonic MMO is for is the amount of frigging money it'll make.

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

UCHU wrote:The only good thing a Sonic MMO is for is the amount of frigging money it'll make.
It wouldn't make that much, I'm afraid. Today's target demographic for Sonic thinks that all computers can do is steal music and update Myspace.

It was just a dumb idea I wanted to toss out, so one day someone will come across it, and tell me "MAN, YOU WERE STUPID!!!", and I will counter "But I was here".

j-man
All-Time Everything GHZ Award Winner
Now Playing: Sea of Friends

Post by j-man »

Well they're making a Lego MMO, so it's not such a crazy idea.