Rebirth of Rocket Possum

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Re: Rebirth of Rocket Possum

Post by ShinjukuNeedlemouse »

Frieza2000 wrote:when I made my first RPG using the Blades of Exile engine

Jazz Jackrabbit 1 and 2
I remember all of those games, and agree that they were awesome. I hereby decree you to be the most awesome person that ever lived.

RAWK. :cool:

Isuka
Now Playing: Tekken 7

Post by Isuka »

Frieza2000 wrote:Necessity is the mother of invention. In general, limitations can help bring out creativity that would otherwise not have been tapped. Speaking from experience, when I made my first RPG using the Blades of Exile engine the extreme limitations on what I could make it do motivated me to use the few things I was able to make it do in ways I otherwise would never have thought of. I suspect the situation was similar for a lot of developers in the early days, which may account, at least in part, for the comparative creativity of the first generations of games. This doesn't apply quite so much to graphics, and even if it did the moderate difference in creative freedom that the other systems' graphics afford over the Wii's is negligible, but I thought I'd make the general point.
I guess Hollywood movies in the 1920's must have also been more crative than they are nowadays... because there was nothing at all at that time. You could almost say the same thing for architectural structures and paintings and stuff during the Renaissance.

As for the technical differences between a Wii and a Xbox 360 or a PlayStation 3 accounting for new discoveries in the mechanics and rule sets in games, this isn't quite happening because development costs for the latter two are still too high to take many risks, but the main reason is because they both aren't powerful enough. Both systems are caught into a television technology standards' transition period, and the manufacturers and developers attempting to catch to the higher resolutions these TV sets can output hampers the pursuit of higher detail, more advanced AI rutines and more complex, deep mechanics and rule sets.

We are also seeing how every single manufacturer is trying to get on Nintendo's motion-sensing money-printing fad too, but while all this forgery has been almost completely demonstrated to add nothing of value to development of complex games (think of the Wii's absolute best titles, they either don't make any use at all of the remote controller's "possibilities" -Galaxy, Twilight Princess, Brawl, Muramasa, probably Monster Hunter 3-, or they are overly-simplified adaptations of better formulas -MadWorld is a poor man's God Hand, The Conduit tries too damn hard to be Halo or Resistance and fails miserably-), it is pretty evident that current controller technology is starting to feel dated and somewhat obsolete. We do have to find a way to supersede it, but one that's meaningful and actually effective on at least 100% of the game genres that a classic game controller has proved to not suck in, not just those in which you have to point at shit in the screen or pretend fitness.

And even then, the established game formulas are way too many now. Stumbling upon a totally revolutionary new concept in gaming is more and more unlikely as time goes by, whichever your system of (p)reference may be.

P.P.A.
Now Playing: Flying Princess - Inter Breed -
Mount & Blade: Warband

Re:

Post by P.P.A. »

Isuka wrote: I guess Hollywood movies in the 1920's must have also been more crative than they are nowadays... because there was nothing at all at that time. You could almost say the same thing for architectural structures and paintings and stuff during the Renaissance.
Screw you, Gothic architecture is great.

Crowbar

Re:

Post by Crowbar »

Isuka wrote:it is pretty evident that current controller technology is starting to feel dated and somewhat obsolete.
No it isn't.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

Zack & Wiki, and to a lesser Extent, Boom Blox (Haven't played the sequels or other consoles' version thereof) are probably the only really good games that justify the interface.
P.P.A. wrote: Screw you, Gothic architecture is great.
Yeah, sure, "Gothic architecture."

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Using a videogame console is cheaper that updating a PC every six months, and they have less problems than Windows, unless you use the ones from Microsoft. With just one videogame console, you can play hundreds of games without caring about hardware, drivers,operative system, emulation, all that junk. I know what I am talking about, I have been using computers since 1989... and I am tired...

Videogames consoles used to be about plugging in the cables, turning it on, input the game and playing, but now they have LONG LOADING TIMES TO BOOT? FIRMWARE UPDATES? WHAT THE HELL?. and WAIT DONT FORGET THE WIRELESS CONTROLERS!

Because wasting batteries for controllers saves the earth, and that is good!

Next thing you know you will have to download patches to be able to play the game without crashing!

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

Arcade wrote:Videogames consoles used to be about plugging in the cables, turning it on, input the game and playing, but now they have LONG LOADING TIMES TO BOOT? FIRMWARE UPDATES? WHAT THE HELL?. and WAIT DONT FORGET THE WIRELESS CONTROLERS!

Because wasting batteries for controllers saves the earth, and that is good!

Next thing you know you will have to download patches to be able to play the game without crashing!
Can't entirely disagree with the sentiment.

gr4yJ4Y
Now Playing: Breath of the Wild (Switch), Resident Evil VII (PS4)

Re: Re:

Post by gr4yJ4Y »

Crowbar wrote:
Isuka wrote:it is pretty evident that current controller technology is starting to feel dated and somewhat obsolete.
No it isn't.
I concur with Crowbar. However I think it would be interesting if there was an alternative gaming controller that actually adds something to games. There's likely something that can be done that has yet to be discovered or applied. We need this guy to work on something for gaming controllers.

Neo

Post by Neo »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:Zack & Wiki
Except that the controls were the only thing Zack & Wiki did right.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

I admit I never had the steam to clear the final level, and the points and lives system was superfluous and broken. But I really enjoy the rest of the game, and it's still one of the best-looking games on the system. So nyeah.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Dr. BUGMAN wrote:it's still one of the best-looking games on the system. So nyeah.
first place in the special olympics etc

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Arcade wrote: Videogames consoles used to be about plugging in the cables, turning it on, input the game and playing, but now they have LONG LOADING TIMES TO BOOT? FIRMWARE UPDATES? WHAT THE HELL?.!
With modern day consoles having approached the power of gaming computers, it's obvious that they would inherit some of the flaws as well as the perks. It's no walk in the park to make a modern-day game, and nothing is perfect. We can all say "I wish they would make better quality games that aren't a bug-ridden mess" but that's idealism and if you belive in idealism you aren't ready for reality. So considering the state of gaming technology, I would rather have firmware updates and patches than to be stuck with a game that has more bugs than an Ethiopian crotch.

"WAAAAAAH! I HAVE TO UPDATE SOMETHING!" Welcome to Generation LAZY.

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

The real issue is having to resort to including features other than gaming into game consoles in order to have another bullet point for selling the fuckers and one-upping the competition. In the same way the iPhone is the technological equivalent of a Swiss Army knive that does about everything but is somewhat crap at fucking cutting stuff.
Crowbar wrote:
No it isn't.
Yeah, I guess I overstated my point. That was just my way of expressing that I'd like the standard game controllers to feature some additions for the betterment of some generally PC-bound game genres (like serious, highly competitive FPS's). The 360's chat pad, for example, looks somewhat interesting but flawed. Maybe if we could replace the keys with a touchscreen (think of a DS/VMU hybrid) and devise a way to use it like in Border Break... or maybe trackball-like buttons...

Also, sucks that Microsoft removed the pressure-sensitive technology from the controller's face buttons. Sure, they weren't that useful the way the original Xbox controllers were designed, but if they just tried to increase the buttons' travel for the 360's...

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

BTW awesome vid, J4Y. I'd totally switch to a user interface like that, although I think I'd best keep the keyboard and only use my skilled hand for on-screen cursors control, for a time at least.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

ShinjukuNeedlemouse wrote:
If you have the same flaws that when using a PC, then whats the point of using a videogame console then? When someone finally hacks the online firmware update of your "Next gen" console and makes it crash, messes up your saved games and so on, You will be sorry.

My point is that videogame consoles are losing many of the advantages they had versus PCs, and that includes prices. Remenber how expensive the ps3 used to be not long ago?.

Nintendo was right about "Videogames consoles dont need a shitload of hardware", but the Wii is losing fans because the wiimote is pretty useless (Most games need you to also use the nunchuck), and most Wii games cant be played with the gamecube controler or the "Arcade" controler.

Yeah, I see a new video game crash comming in the next decade or less..

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Christ, you're an idiot.
Arcade wrote:
ShinjukuNeedlemouse wrote:
If you have the same flaws that when using a PC, then whats the point of using a videogame console then? When someone finally hacks the online firmware update of your "Next gen" console and makes it crash, messes up your saved games and so on, You will be sorry.
Not as sorry as the people who decide to spend all their time hacking someone else's game console.
Arcade wrote:My point is that videogame consoles are losing many of the advantages they had versus PCs, and that includes prices.
COOL STORY BRO. Seriously, don't bitch at me for this, I don't make games/consoles. Bitch at the people who do, manchild.
Arcade wrote:most Wii games cant be played with the gamecube controler or the "Arcade" controler.

It's the "Classic" controller, bro.

Arcade wrote:Yeah, I see a new video game crash comming in the next decade or less..
It's not hard to see what's right in front of you.

FlashTHD
*sniff*
Now Playing: Team Fortress 2

Post by FlashTHD »

ShinjukuNeedlemouse wrote:Christ, you're an idiot.
lurk moar

That is all.

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Bump.

Do you think that they will release the Sparkster games on VC to compensate for the lack of RKHD on the Wii?

edit: sorry for posting so much. :(

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I highly recommend you ignore Arcade. He can type but he definitely can't read.

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Rob-Bert wrote:I highly recommend you ignore HIM Arcade. He can type but he definitely can't read.
fixed!

Rob-Bert

Post by Rob-Bert »

I wasn't talking to you. So no. Not fixed. Bad boy.

Shadow Hog

Post by Shadow Hog »

Yeah, uh... definitely not fixed. What Rob-Bert said initially was very much accurate.

ShinjukuNeedlemouse

Rob-Bert wrote:I highly recommend you ignore Arcade. He can type but he definitely can't read.
From what I have seen of him he seems pretty likable. And lickable, too! :P :3

Isuka

Post by Isuka »

Wanna see how a classic franchise is revived the right way?

More pics here, and in 720p: http://golgothstudio.com/devblog/genera ... d-version/

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

I saw this.

I guess some people have fond memories of Toki or something, but for me this is coming out of no where (I never played it, it never really looked all that good). If these guys really like Toki, I guess that's fine for them, but isn't this really obscure? Why not develop an original property, surely the brand name won't add much?