Suzumebachi

Speak your mind, or lack thereof. There may occasionally be on-topic discussions.
Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE
Now Playing: Bit Trip Complete

Suzumebachi

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Insects in Japan are huge. Like... like BIG. Bees, flies, ants, dragonflies, mantises - the only kind of bugs that I think I've seen bigger in America are mosquitoes and spiders. (Spiders here are disappointingly small, which is baffling considering the size of the meals they must have.)

Of course one legendary insect tops them all, and its fame is such I don't think I have to elaborate on the particulars of the suzumebachi, aka Asian giant hornet, aka yak-killer wasp. People here speak of them like they're a myth. Nobody's ever been stung, but everybody knows someone who's been stung. The word on the street is that two or more stings is a life and death situation.

Since I came here last year, I've been eager to see one. Yesterday I finally did.

I'm on vacation in Kyoto at the moment, and thought I'd hike up one of the mountains on the periphery for a view of the city. On the way up the lonely, muddy trail (apparently all the ravenous tourists around here don't think to hike), I stumbled across this battered warning sign that seems to have fallen from its post.

It says "beware of suzumebachi" followed by what I presume is advice on what to do if you encounter one.
I probably should've tried to interpret it, but my only immediate thought was キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!!

Not 30 seconds after I walked away from the sign I got my first glimpse of beezilla, yellow and menacing, at least the size of my thumb. I tried to take a picture as he landed on a stump, but he wouldn't hold still long enough and began flying circles around me. Sensing I may have acted foolishly, I skipped away to continue my ascent. Along with my unwelcome companion. I quickened my pace. So did he. Circling my head like a B-17 bomber, and about the same size. By now キタ━━━━(゚∀゚)━━━━ !!!!! had devolved into ガ━━━━(゚Д゚;)━━━━ン!

I hastened my escape, but every time I slowed down to catch my breath - BUZZZZZZ - so I ran. And ran. Uphill. On a dark, muddy, desolate slope. I must've dashed at least three quarters of a mile, but my assailant was relentless and had the advantage of terrain and energy. When my sides hurt and I couldn't breathe I finally collapsed to accept my painful fate. There can be only one punishment for those who anger the hornet gods of old Kyoto. "There are worse ways to die," I reassured myself. I didn't even have the energy to wince in preparation for the inevitable spearing. But as I breathed my final short breaths, I heard something peculiar. Silence. My first thought was that he must have already landed, but I was already so sedated on the verge of a total blackout I decided I was ready for whatever might come. The blackout never came, but neither did the sting. By some miracle, I managed to shake him off mere yards before I could no longer move my legs.

So.

I'm gonna do it again.

RocketPunch

Re: Suzumebachi

Post by RocketPunch »

PHOTOS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. :mad:

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

What I heard about them is that if you get close to the nest, they'll send out a few drones that will fly around in front of you, clacking their mandibles "audibly" until you turn around and get the hell out of there.

I only saw them when they occasionally came into town and (apparently?) got lost. Far away from their hives they didn't seem very aggressive but still much too big for comfort.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

That was quite the adventure.
But would that monster wasp win a fight against Camel Spider?

G.Silver
Drano Master
Now Playing: Radiant Silvergun, Wario World

Post by G.Silver »

Considering all the wasps already that feed on/inject larva into tarantulas and other large desert spiders, I'm putting my money on the suzumebachi.

Ngangbius
Now Playing: Dragon Quest IX

Post by Ngangbius »

The hornets are a popular contender for those Japanese "bug" fights they air on TV. The hornets are usually the victor.

I think Japanese Honey Bees are one of the few insects that can fight back against the Asian Hornet. I remember seeing a video clib where a hornet flew near the bee colony. The bees suddenly swarm over the hornet in a ball and beating their wings vigorously so that it would overheat the hornet, killing it.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

In a battle between a suzumebachi and any other insect in the world, I'd place my bets on the suzumebachi. They eat insects three or four times their size (including mantises, which are meant to be the ultimate assassins of the insect world) and a group of two dozen can completely slaughter a hive of 30,000+ honey bees in a matter of hours. Even humans die from their stings and at the very least, it's supposed to be the most painful in the world.

SO. If you're ever walking down a lonely mountain trail and see a suzumebachi, be sure to ask his permission before trying to take his picture.

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Yeah, Japanese honey bees can use the body heat mob to kill off single suzumebachi, but they have to attack the lone scout before it can mark the hive, and usually a few of them die in that attack, so even that's not without fatalities.

Segaholic2
Forum God
Now Playing: Your mom

Post by Segaholic2 »

Nice story, Pinocchio.

The Doc
Now Playing: Guess Who?

Post by The Doc »

Green Gibbon! wrote:In a battle between a suzumebachi and any other insect in the world, I'd place my bets on the suzumebachi. They eat insects three or four times their size (including mantises, which are meant to be the ultimate assassins of the insect world) and a group of two dozen can completely slaughter a hive of 30,000+ honey bees in a matter of hours. Even humans die from their stings and at the very least, it's supposed to be the most painful in the world.

SO. If you're ever walking down a lonely mountain trail and see a suzumebachi, be sure to ask his permission before trying to take his picture.
I (and Cracked) would like to test that theory.

Allow me to introduce you to my friend, the giant golden orb-web spider.

I'd also like to introduce you to its dinner, A FUCKING BIRD.

Winner winner chicken dinner.

Dr. BUGMAN
Now Playing: Poverty

Post by Dr. BUGMAN »

He said "versus any other insect".

Spiders are not insects.

Theory nullified.

Malchik
Now Playing: with myself

Post by Malchik »

I never saw a Suzumebachi beat a centipede in a fight.
http://www.japanesebugfights.com/

Wombatwarlord777
Now Playing: WarioWare Gold

Post by Wombatwarlord777 »

Wow. That's scary shit, man.

Now I'm concerned that one of these species of uberinsects will spontaneously develop ultra-intelligent shared consciousness, then decide to take over the world and turn all other beings into lunchmeat. Once they do that, I'd say our position as a dominant species will be seriously compromised.

I'm probably just worrying too much. OR PERHAPS NOT???

Green Gibbon!
BUTT CHEESE

Post by Green Gibbon! »

Segaholic2 wrote:Nice story, Pinocchio.
But it's for true! A few minutes after I lost the beast and enjoyed a well-earned breather on a nasty muddy log covered with ants (which I can handle), a jogger came down the trail and I tried desperately to pretend I wasn't out of breath cause I had just run from a bug like a little girl.

In retrospect, I should've made my escape downhill.

Wooduck51

Post by Wooduck51 »

I have these around my house: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_hornet , but unlike their Asian cousins they seem pretty docile.

I once stepped on a bald face hornet nest and was swarmed and stung viciously, it was exciting.

Oompa Star
Now Playing: I'll be the only serious one and say Ninja Gaiden 2 and Mass Effect.

Post by Oompa Star »

Eh, those hornets have nothing on these.

Brazillian Cara
Now Playing: the waiting game.

Post by Brazillian Cara »

Yeah, I was thinking about that one. But as friggin' fierce as it might be for a spider, there's still the whole "acid spit" thing, so it loses.

Dr. Watson

Post by Dr. Watson »

Of all the nightmarish invertebrates on the planet, id have to say the four feet long sea worm that eats fishing hooks takes the prize:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -reef.html

Arcade

Post by Arcade »

Now you are making me think on Beast wars...